• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Turn Signal Relay

dennypink

DennyPink
Turn signal relay under the gas tank is going bad. I believe the part number is 61-31-1-244-392, about $45.00. Anyone have experience with a BMW car dealer having this part, or an auto parts store? If an auto parts store which ones, and what was their part number? Thanks!

Denny Pink
1992 R100RT

Cut & paste from ADVrider:

"As a reminder, the pricey OEM turn signal flasher on the old airheads like my /7 can be swapped out for a "Tridon Stant" 12 volt 3 terminal #550 thermal flasher available for under $5 from any auto parts store.

The new flasher will have a "P" an "L" and an "X"...you want to plug the wires from the new socket into the existing flasher socket...match the "P" to the black/white wire (your dash light indicator)...match the "L" to the green/yellow wire (the "load"...i.e. the turn signals)...and, the "X" to the green/black wire (+12V supply). The fourth prong (that the new flasher won't have) is brown...for ground...the new flasher doesn't need a ground.

Thanks guys, I did this on my R80 last night and it works perfectly. I rigged up very short pig tails with male spades on one end and female on the other to patch the Tridon into the OEM connector and then zip tied it to the OEM bracket in the headlight bucket. Flashes the signals correctly AND works the dash light. So simple and cheap, makes you wonder what BMW was thinking ."

"As a reminder, the pricey OEM turn signal flasher on the old airheads like my /7 can be swapped out for a "Tridon Stant" 12 volt 3 terminal #550 thermal flasher available for under $5 from any auto parts store.

So simple and cheap, makes you wonder what BMW was thinking ."

Probably back then they were thinking that the Bosch relay would last for 19 years in a motorcycle environment. Pretty good life cycle.

But $45 for a relay is pretty steep. :brow

Some relay trivia:
TYCO / Siemens Electronics purchased the Bosch Relay Division. Bosch no longer manufactures relays; they are all made by Tyco and private labeled for Bosch by Tyco in the same factory in Portugal that Bosch used to own.

The new flasher will have a "P" an "L" and an "X"...you want to plug the wires from the new socket into the existing flasher socket...match the "P" to the black/white wire (your dash light indicator)...match the "L" to the green/yellow wire (the "load"...i.e. the turn signals)...and, the "X" to the green/black wire (+12V supply). The fourth prong (that the new flasher won't have) is brown...for ground...the new flasher doesn't need a ground.

thnaks for this tip, it will be another one I print for my notebook of info and tricks

Back