• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Unnacceptable sound fidelity with BMW Bluetooth

I have had an on going problem with my communication system. Three radios, three headsets and two bluetooth antennas later it is worse. BMW had the dealer make a recording of the system. I got a call yesterday and was told my RT sounded like they expected an RT to sound. The dealer and mechanic thinks it sounds like S**T. During this process my helmet was paired with a K bike and the sound was good. The BMW guy said the K bilke should sound better. What klind oif crap is this. I told them they should be emabarrassed as a company putting out a product and expecting it to be under performing. I have lost total confidence in this company. I guess the only recourse is legal action. I am planning on making a recording and posting on the internet and get peoples opinions on sound quality and if it is acceptable to them. Not sure how to do this but I am checking it out.
sell the bike and buy something else.

sell the bike and buy something else.

I plan to but not before I get some compensation for the extra $ spent on the sound system and head set. As an aside with the latest radio the bluetooth in he bike and the Nav iv is not compatable. They can not be paired at the same time as the operating manuals suggest. Get quality product.

I plan to but not before I get some compensation for the extra $ spent on the sound system and head set. As an aside with the latest radio the bluetooth in he bike and the Nav iv is not compatable. They can not be paired at the same time as the operating manuals suggest. Get quality product.

Not sure what you mean saying they can't be paired at the same time. The Nav IV plays through the audio system on my bike and I only pair to the bike's bluetooth.

Edit: Sorry, I'm talking about a K bike, but you have an RT. My bad.

You have to pair each device to the headset. The latest combo of devices will not let that happen. If I want to listen to the crappy radio the gps cannot be paired.
So no turn by turn directions which I like. To use the gps as a music player I have to unpair the bike radio. Real PITA.

My dealer had the same problems initially. When the bike was new they didn't know how to pair all the BT items. Now that everyone has had some experience, it is the general consensus that the audio software in the BMW radio is to blame for the poor audio quality being piped to my helmet. All other BT sources sound great. I have even had the radio software update done by the dealer.
I called the BMW 800 number for customer service and was told.......if you can believe this..... " we leave this up to your dealer. We don't actually provide tech support or actual customer service at this number" :banghead

It's surprising they have not figured out how to do decent bluetooth on a their bikes. Almost all new cars nowadays have great working bluetooth.

Frankly, I find it so much easier to skip all their integrated stuff and just get a SENA and some sort of bluetooth music player (smartphones work great). For my next bike, I think I will be getting an Ipad Mini with cell service and mounting it on the dash of the bike somewhere (in one of those waterproof cases). It will play my pandora, give me my GPS with turn by turn directions and pipe it all through my SENA which sounds fantastic through my $200 Nolan helmet.

The best sounding setup I have found is to use the newer SENA headset clamp (SMH-A0305) that allows you to switch between internal speakers and earbuds. 99% of the time I get quite good sound using surefire ear plugs with the internal speakers and I commute with that setup four days a week. If I really want high quality sound on a longer ride, I switch to some fancy earbuds like my Etymotic Research ones or my Shure stage monitors.

I am kinda of sad the 90th anniversary RT isn't available without the audio system as I would much rather skip it. I love that bike so much though, I may have to buy it anyways.

My dealer had the same problems initially. When the bike was new they didn't know how to pair all the BT items. Now that everyone has had some experience, it is the general consensus that the audio software in the BMW radio is to blame for the poor audio quality being piped to my helmet. All other BT sources sound great. I have even had the radio software update done by the dealer.
I called the BMW 800 number for customer service and was told.......if you can believe this..... " we leave this up to your dealer. We don't actually provide tech support or actual customer service at this number" :banghead

Exactly. However BMW will not admit to there being a problem. Poor audio is acceptable to them.

Poor Bluetooth Audio

This is a major problem. Before I took delivery of my new RT last week, a friend with a new 1600GT told me the bluetooth audio from the radio is horrible. I was puzzled and of course can now say it's true. The sound quality from the radio, both FM and Sirius is unusable. When I connect my iPhone to the helmet bluetooth it's fine. It's not the headset or the helmet or the helmet speakers, (I've tried it with three different systems), it's the output to or from the bluetooth transmitter that has a problem.

This is unacceptable for a company like BMW to not have fixed this issue yet. I've read about this happening for a few years now. It's probably too much voltage being output from one amplifier to another somewhere between the radios and bluetooth transmitters. You can but bluetooth transmitters from Amazon for like $30 that work fine. It is ridiculous that a company like BMW can't solve this issue on a bikes costing $20-$30,000.

I hope it gets resolved.

All great comments. I have a 90 anniversary R1200RT and just picked up a Sena SMH10 for my C3. Paired the phone ok and will be pairing the bikes Sirus. I spent all last year riding with the speakers blairing. Sound was good enough for me through the foam earplugs and, since I work second shift, the noise scared the deer away.

Since all the comments have been negative about the bikes bluetooth. What is the recommended best way to receive my Sirus radio and pair with my phone (still have a dummy phone)? I like the Sirus radio for long rides but don't know other ways to receive it.

Thank you all in advance for all the past help and current problem solving.

Back