• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is the K1100 a forgotten Machine?

In a previous query, I questioned the differences in the K100 vs the K75. The consensus seemed to be that the K75 was a better machine. Although I gather the only difference between the two was the engine. But if my BMW history serves me, at one time the K1100 was "the bike" for BMW, top of the line. Did BMW manage to improve the K1100 to the point where it was actually as good as, maybe better than the K75? I have heard that they are a hot bike in the summer, although I guess "hot" is a relative term for BMW's. Did they finally get rid of all the vibration and other problems of the K100? The K1100LT seems like it might be a practical machine. Quality engine, long life, good for two people, with pretty good storage. The replacement, the K1200LT seemed to grow exponentially in size and weight, moving it into the luxo-boat category of bikes. Anyone with any experience with the K1100LT? Thanks.

In a previous query, I questioned the differences in the K100 vs the K75. The consensus seemed to be that the K75 was a better machine. Although I gather the only difference between the two was the engine. But if my BMW history serves me, at one time the K1100 was "the bike" for BMW, top of the line. Did BMW manage to improve the K1100 to the point where it was actually as good as, maybe better than the K75? I have heard that they are a hot bike in the summer, although I guess "hot" is a relative term for BMW's. Did they finally get rid of all the vibration and other problems of the K100? The K1100LT seems like it might be a practical machine. Quality engine, long life, good for two people, with pretty good storage. The replacement, the K1200LT seemed to grow exponentially in size and weight, moving it into the luxo-boat category of bikes. Anyone with any experience with the K1100LT? Thanks.

The K1100lt is a fine machine. Very powerfull and dependable. They are hotter in the summer than a Airhead or Oilhead. I pulled a Bunkhouse camper two up with no problems with mine.

The K1100 was the bike ridden by the winner(s) of more Iron Butt rallies than any other bike/model.

The K1100LT is the only bike my friend, Dave Swisher the "million mile man" (actually 1.6 and counting), will ride. He sells them off after they hit 350,000 miles and usually they're still in good shape. FWIW.

No where near 1M mile,
Mike

We have a '92 K1100LT and pull a Uni-Go riding two up most of the time. Only has about 120,000 miles on it so we're keeping it for a while. Had it since 2005 and we've put 70,000 of the miles on. Ridden in most weather conditions through much of Canada and most of continental U.S. Can be hot but you get used to that..... just go faster. Stable, reliable, capable and comfortable (with Russell seat of course :brow). After 19 years a few things need attention but that's not much of an issue. Easy enough to tinker on..... although not as pleasant as working on the '73 75/5. - Bob

My 1100RS was great, though it seemed to be a lemon in some respects. It seemed to eat rear/trans seals, the final drive went out, but other than those few things it was a fantastic package for day rides and 1,000 mile days.
When the K1200RS came out, I made the move for better handling, additional power, better ABS, and less buzz due to the new engine/frame configuration.

had 2 K75s, and a K1100RS. upgraded to the better power of the K11 as my son kept gaining weight, and the K75 was lacking in the hills & mountains. K75 was smoother, better brakes and tires on the K11. more heat, too. both bikes about equally bullet proof in terms of general repairs- nothing really worth noting. 20K (crashed & totaled), 55K & 55K miles on each bike.
i would certainly consider another K11RS as a 2-up bike, but would not use it much in temps above 85 degs. suckers get hot.

I owned a 1993 k1100lt from 2003 to 2009. I rode it for about 40,000 miles and it was a pretty good ride.

Pros: comfortable, good handling for its size. good gas mileage(up to 50 mpg)even two up. Pretty good power and fairly smooth, though it did get a bit buzzy once the engine got above 4500 rpm

Cons: Tall and somewhat top heavy, it was a bit of handful at parking lot speeds.
Tachometer needle would stick anytime bright sun hit the instrument cluster directly. Apparently the sun would heat up the black facing of the tach, causing it to swell enough to lock the needle in place wherever it was when the sun hit. I thought I was seeing things the first time I came to a stop and looked down to see the tach @ 4000 rpms while the engine idled sedately.

I will always have good memories of that bike because of the way I aquired it. I found it on line via Cycletrader, and bought it from a gentlemen in San Diego. Bought a one way plane ticket to San Diego and rode it back home 2300 miles to Georgia. What a great ride!

The K1100, from what I can gather reading the responses here, is an excellent machine. But, like a few other bikes BMW makes, it seems to suffer from the same huge flaw: it can be a real scorcher to ride. This is not my opinion, rather it comes from reading the posts of many people who own this machine. I just sold my R80Rt and that was one of the major reasons why. It was like a blast furnace with the lowers on in the summer. I am baffled as to why BMW engineers couldn't solve this problem with the K bikes. It doesn't seem that difficult. Insulate here and there, direct the fan exhaust away from the rider, maybe work on the fuel routing so the tank doesn't get so hot. Was this not thought of? Didn't anyone in Berlin ride one of these things in hot weather? Like I said, baffling. It's a shame. A fine design in so many ways. But I for one am not going to own another machine that roasts me. Life is too short. Back to the Rs, I guess.

I have owned 2 K bikes. First a '93K1100RS (stupidly sold when I was seduced by an '09 Concours- a case of the grass is greener.....That lasted one summer. Goodbye Connie)

2702365834_6f084303e8.jpg

Now I have a '92 K100RS- much more like a K1100 than the K100 8 valve.

5645435533_a6a9a0841c.jpg

Yes they can be hot- like most fully faired S.T. bikes. The '09 Concours was just as hot- just that the heat was felt further up my leg than on the K bike.

My current '92 is slightly cooler to ride in hot weather. Perhaps due to the engine being partially exposed to the passing air?

BUT my seat-of-the-pants evaluation tells me that my '93 K1100 had slightly less engine vibration than my current K100. Go figure....similar amout of mileage on each one but the larger engine was smoother.

I know of several K100 16V and K1100 owners that have made some subtle changes to control/manage the heat better.

-a manual fan switch which allows the rider to keep the temp gauge from hitting the red zone when traffic slows or stops. Prevents the heat from building up to leg melting temps.

-a quilted foil blanket under the fuel tank and seat- it directs some of the heat back past the rider's legs.

-removing the bottom of the fairing for REALLY hot weather seems to allow more moving air to go past the exhaust and not get trapped?

Overall it seems like each 4 cylinder K bike has its own personality.

BTW, several owners of a certain American v-twin motorcycle have told me that K bikes are refrigerators compared to sitting in slow or stopped traffic on a HD- so it is all relative.

Bought my 1996 K1100RS with 82k on the speedo. Got 114k on it now. Yes it gets hot. My second summer in Georgia I decided not to ride. (I only got one bike :( ) My first summer, I roasted and that wasn't going to happen again. Dangerous. I tried a few of the antiheat tricks, K100 radiator, those engine foamy things???, but nothing really killed the heat. It's just a hot bike.

I just had the rear main seal replaced and valve clearance checked but I do all my own mx. Yes, top heavy and a bear at slow speeds. Can be buzzy but once I get up to 75 or better it smooths out. I installed Bar-backs, Audiovox cruise, Aeroflow windshield (used only in cool weather), extra driving lights and a few other gadgets. Good bike.

K11 forgotten? Certainly not forgotten by me!

2/26/17

I've wanted a '96 K11RS for many years...found a great looking well cared for bike in FL with 21K on the clock...same owner since '97. Getting it this week.

I rode a '09 HD Road King for some time...took it on a transcontinental three corner ride...zero problems. But at 840 lbs, it's too damned heavy. Looking forward to the lighter bike.

For the past 35 years I've ridden only HD's and BMW's and look forward to another "Brick". Years ago I owned a '91 K100RS and loved it...so, I guess I'll really love the K11.

Heat is about equal on HD's and K bikes.

These are very good looking bikes and I'm very excited about getting this one on the road.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_295b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_295b.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 234
Something to consider for all of you who experience hot legs - more insulation. In hot weather I wear light weight long pants under my Rev'it pants and I leave the rain layer in place no matter the temperature.

Of course, it is not those three layers of fabric that keep your legs reasonably comfortable in hot temperatures or not too cold when it is really cold - it is the air between those fabrics that provides the insulation. In hot conditions, you protect your legs to a comfortable degree. In cold riding, I replace the thin pants with a synthetic bottom. At least I don't have to mess around with my riding pants, no matter the weather or temperature.

If you are an ATGATT rider, I suggest this is a way out of your heat problem on your legs. Too bad to eliminate a bike you own or might want to own on that basis.

K11s rock!

I've had a longterm love affair with K1100RSs. Friends have accused me of trying to own every one in the country. The LT is obviously much the same bike, but its looks don't do it for me the way the RS's do.
Living in New England I don't have to deal with as much heat as others guys do, so I never found it unbearable.
The K12 is undoubtedly smoother, but the added weight, complexity, and fuel consumption all work against it.
By now we are talking about bikes that are 20 years old, and the K11s are beginning to show that age. Not only are the plastic bits getting fragile, but the seals are giving up doing their job. Expect rear mains to leak (new clutch!), rear drives to drip, and master cylinders to stop mastering (and drip onto the paint). Equally noticeable is the level of refinement that was good in 1995 is not so much so now.
That said, they are fast, smooth enough, still easy to work on, and cheap!

Back