• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery Question

I like the Panasonic that I bought from Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik- it has more cranking amps than the stock battery and is smaller so that it fits between the subframe rails for easy installation. Mine's been in there for 4 years and seems to be going strong...

Panasonic and Odyssey make the best batteries available. Have used both in my cars and trucks. I just finished a lengthy anal restoration of a 1974 R75/6. I went with the BMW battery for originality and perfect fit. Whatever battery you decide to use make sure you get a proper fit and use a Battery Tender to maintain charge. I always get 5-7 years out of any battery using a Battery Tender.

Paul
1971 R60/5
1971 R75/5 &Ural sidecar
1975 R75/6
2000 R1150 GS
2001 R1100S

Last edited:
A non-lead acid battery might not be the correct match for the older charging system on the bike...it was designed to work with a the older slosh batteries. That said, people do use the newer AGM or Gel or dry-cell batteries in the bikes. Most likely, you won't get the full life out of them because of the different charging requirements. Maybe you lose 5-10% of the life??? Hard to say... Generally, I've heard that the newer batteries fall off a cliff with little to no warning while the lead-acid batteries give you some kind of indication that things are going down hill. I've been using Yuasa and now the BMW battery (basically the same thing) and typically get 5-6 years out of them. I only changed out the last battery earlier this year because I had it out for the clutch change, there was already 5 years on the battery, and I just couldn't see putting the old one back in.

+2 on Odyssey.

And also a plus on a Battery Tender. I have been using the full size or Jr. version on my bikes and have gotten long life out of my batteries, typically 4-6 years. Even my riding mower is still using the original battery (nearly 8 years) because it is on a Tender when not used weekly.

Odyssey guy too! Look at the dimensions that you can comfortably fit in your tray. Since I could fit the 960 and the 680, I went with the bigger battery (960) with higher performance. Make sure you could also remove your choice. My PO had something in there that I had to loosen the battery tray to wiggle it just right for removal.

Battery Tender

I've been a believer in battery tenders for some years, the first one has payed for itself several times over on my Vespa. The first sign the battery was on its way out was the lengthy recharge time with the BT. Had I had the battery checked out then I could have saved myself a couple subway rides and made dinner with friends :(

I finally converted from the lead acid battery to the Odyssey 680 this summer when I shipped my R90/6 back to the US (had to remove the battery for shipping). I think it is a better battery. I know they have the issue of sudden catastrophic failure versus gracefully degradation. But, seems like there are trade offs in everything and I like the new battery.

Barron

I use the Panasonic battery for my R100RS. Also, the battery that Westco sells is a Panasonic. Rick Jones @ Motorrad Elektrik is a friend of mine and he recommends the Panasonic over Odyssey.

Looks like my battery has bought the farm, what is the current recommendation for an R75/6?

When the original battery in my 1990 R100 GS finally went, I replaced it with the same; a flooded lead acid battery. I'm still on the second one...do the math, what year is it now? :D

Many recommend these high tech AGM or GEL batteries such as the Odyssey and Optima (for cars). They have their advantages and disadvantages, unfortunately the latter cuts into battery life for my application.

When the original battery in my 1990 R100 GS finally went, I replaced it with the same; a flooded lead acid battery. I'm still on the second one...do the math, what year is it now?

WOW!!!

Very impressive to average a decade for lead acid batteries... I have had eight years or so in a vehicle that operates year round, never more than five years for a battery that is seasonal. Even with off season charging, the lead acid batteries in my bike/lawn tractor wouldn't last half as long as yours.

I have been an Oydessey fan for a few years now, PC925 in my bike is five seasons old and all is well. Never off season charge it, just pull the ground and it fires right up after a five month down time.

Any tips?? Are you riding year round? What off season efforts?

On a related note.... Got a call from the sister in law a few months back. Her car wouldn't start. Hmmmm....she has had the car ten years, doesn't drive it all that much. When did you last change the battery I asked? "never"
I think that might be the problem:whistle

WOW!!!

Very impressive to average a decade for lead acid batteries...

Not really...:D the original battery in my present car (1999 Honda CR-V) is now in its 13th year. I just removed it last week, cleaned it, topped it up a bit with ultra distilled water (thats the beauty about a flooded lead acid battery, I can), did a 15 second load test at half the CCA rating and its good to go this winter.

The original battery in the previous car (1990 Toyota Tercel) lasted 16 years (actually 18 years, but that is the last I heard from the new owner; I sold it two years earlier). It was a flooded lead acid battery as well...in fact, both of the above are Panasonic batteries...unfortunately, not available here.

The charging systems in both vehicles are spot on and matched to the type of battery. They are daily use vehicles (actually, the older battery sat around a lot due to a minimal use vehicle); the present one even sits still connected for six weeks while I am off on tour and the car starts right up when I get back.

I have been an Odyssey fan for a few years now, PC925 in my bike is five seasons old and all is well. Never off season charge it, just pull the ground and it fires right up after a five month down time.

The advantages of an AGM are very low internal resistance for more CCA and an extremely low self discharge. The disadvantages though are that you cannot maintain them, they are more particular as to how they get charged and most vehicle's charging systems (as well as charger/maintainers) are not matched for proper charging.

Any tips??

Keep the battery fully charged; that is the surest way to prevent sulphation. Never overcharge a VRLA battery (AGM or GEL). Follow the battery manufacturer's recommendations...Odyssey had an on-line PDF Technical Manual you can download...so do many other battery manufacturers...the East Penn Technical Manual is excellent at explaining AGM and GEL batteries. Keep all connections related to charging ans starting ultra clean. Thats all work that most owners don't want to be bothered with.

Are you riding year round?

Where I live, I can't because it snows. My oilhead GS in Europe is parked 10.5 months a year and the GEL battery in it only lasted 5 years...I have very little use for AGM or GEL batteries and at almost double the cost of a FLA battery, they don't even last as long.

What off season efforts?

They are removed, cleaned externally and topped up as required. The motorcycle batteries are connected to an Optimate III or CTEK 3300 charger/maintainer. The Porsche battery is connected to a CTEK 3300.

Back