• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendations for sprocket and chain for a G650GS

Am needing to replace the sprockets and chain on my G650GS and was looking for any recommendations and/or words of advice from the folks here. Not thinking to change the number of teeth or anything like that at this point, but curious about quality upgrades or options that folks have used.

Thanks!

DID chain, and I would stick to steel sprockets. Dont waste your time with "lighter" aluminium sprockets. They just don't last long enough to be worthwhile.

Am needing to replace the sprockets and chain on my G650GS and was looking for any recommendations and/or words of advice from the folks here. Not thinking to change the number of teeth or anything like that at this point, but curious about quality upgrades or options that folks have used.

Thanks!

Take a look at Sidewinder Gears, they are part of Krause Racing and make some neat stuff. They even have a set of lifetime guaranteed gears, Ti-Molly, and they get into some exotic stuff since they make gears for the racing circuit and aerospace industry.

They have some videos you can watch also.

They can make gears out of some exotic alloys that hold up real well and they have some great chains. They also sell some nice aerospace chain maintenance products that work well also.

I pull a trailer behind some of my chain drive bikes and their products have worked the best for me, so far 100% reliable.

I agree stay away from aluminum gears. steel gears for the price are hard to beat, but these new allows are lighter and stronger than steel--- but of course will cost more.

Good Luck

With the advent of the internet we sometimes tend to study a simple problem too much. Just join "The Chain Gang" at www.f650.com, order their chain and sprocket set with the 16 tooth primary and 49 tooth rear (no noticeable gas mileage change), lube with automatic transmission fluid (doesn't matter what kind) at each gas stop and RIDE. You should get 20 to 22,000 miles on the chain and sprockets.

Now where's the fun in that?

What to use for chain oiling is a debate that is up there with the engine oil and tire debates. What you use can be influenced by where you ride (use light weight lubricant in sandy areas for example) and how often you lube the chain (have seen credible claims of 30k miles + using only WD40). So let the debate continue.....

Thanks!

Thanks very much for all your recommendations and info. Have been delayed in dealing with this (Thanksgiving, work), but am following up on these leads. I agree that over-analysis can be an issue, especially with the giga-info that's out there, but as this is the first time I've had to perform this maintenance on this bike I wanted to get some feedback from those with more experience... cheers!

You may also want to check with the Chain Gang (F650.com). They offer a discounted RK Racing chain and sprocket set. I've been running mine now for well over 20,000 miles, and is still in good shape. Admittedly, I lube it regularly and don't run the he** out of it. Good folks there, give'm a try. Though you have to join the club ($$) to get the deal, but well worth it.;)

Back