• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camp Stoves

J

JOHNDIAKONIS

I'm shopping for a small camping stove. Can everone share some info on what type they're using and why? Fuel type etc.? Seems like the white gas would be cheaper to operate. And at a National does everyone cook or just buy from vendors and resturants? Thanks for the advice,John

There's lots of food available at nationals and part of the fun is going to dinner with a whole bunch of your new friends.

That said, I have an MSR Whisperlite that uses white gas. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a Dragonfly because it will make a small enough flame to simmer something.

Stoves

I guess what was most important was morning coffee. I didn't know if that was available close or I had to go into town to the donut shop. This is my first camping national and I'm trying to decide what are the important things I need to bring and what can I do without. I wasn't planning any gourmet meals that's for sure. John

Re: Stoves

John said:
I guess what was most important was morning coffee.

I'm with ya on that one, John. I've been through a few stoves, and my current favorite just keeps going and going. Primus Yellowstone Techno Trail stove with piezo starter. Very compact, seems to be very durable, and uses propane/butane cartridges. Boiled a perc full of water in about 3 mins.

671109.jpg

Re: Re: Stoves

fish said:
I'm with ya on that one, John. I've been through a few stoves, and my current favorite just keeps going and going. Primus Yellowstone Techno Trail stove with piezo starter.

I've got a lantern that plugs onto the same cartridges, also made by Primus. It's kind of nice to have a lantern sometimes. If you can carry one type of fuel and have two ways to use it, that's pretty efficient.

636834.jpg

My stove is...

A Coleman Peak 1 Xpert. It is a little folding burner which attaches to a small fuel canister with a hose. I like it because it's small, not tippy when set up and I don't run the risk of leaking white gas. I use it for backpacking but I think I'm gonna start carrying those meals in a cup for lunches on the road. Soup, pasta or rice in a few minutes at a quiet rest area beats 45 mins in a loud diner.

As for rallies, national or otherwise, I have yet to make a meal at any. They either feed you, have plenty of vendors on hand or there are restaurants nearby.

MarkF

Re: Re: Re: Stoves

KBasa said:
I've got a lantern that plugs onto the same cartridges, also made by Primus. It's kind of nice to have a lantern sometimes. If you can carry one type of fuel and have two ways to use it, that's pretty efficient.

I hear ya on that one. I have a white gas stove, but I'm going to go with propane/butane because it is just plain easier to use.

I've been using a Markill Hot Shot stove for a few years.. I love the little thing..
Here's the scoop on the stove:
The lightest, baddest, most compact stove with push-button piezo electric ignition in the Markill line. Measures a mere 3.5" tall by 1.75" wide when folded. It's so small and so light there's room for it in any kit. Comes with a zippered storage pouch and a folding tripod base. Output: 9,000 Btu (9 Mj); Consumption: 40-105 g/hr (min-max); Weight: 6.5 oz (184 g); Boils 1 L water: 4 min 30 sec.
vaude_hotshot.gif

Price is around $25 at outdoor stores..

Last edited:
I just bought this for a light duty stove, especially nice for simmering, this thing is tiny!

ÔÇó One of the lightest backpacking stoves in the world - only weighs 2.7 oz.
ÔÇó Fully adjustable heat up to 16,400 BTU's, 3 min. 40 sec./1 liter boil time
ÔÇó Serrated pan supports fold away for compact storage
ÔÇó One 220 g cartridge will last up to 0.83 hours on high / 2 hours on low
ÔÇó Operates on resealable butane/propane cartridge (cartridge not included)
ÔÇó Limited lifetime warranty

$39.99

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 616
I've used a Coleman Multi Fuel stove for years. Just carry a siphon hose in your tool kit, and when your stove is out of fuel, open your gas cap on your bike and fill up the Coleman! Also burns white gas, and the juice from crushed up pine needles.......ok, I'm lyin about the pine needle juice. But the little stove gets good and hot and it's only set my face on fire once!:

Mike
I've also got a Whisper Lite which works well.:brow

I have an MSR XGK stove:
xgk.jpg

It burns almost anything (white gas, unleaded, diesel, jet fuel, etc) and works great at high altitude. No, you can't simmer on it. It's pretty much digital - blazing hot or off. I use white gas with it, but I like being able to pull a fuel hose off a petcock and fill the fuel bottle from the gas tank. It's nice not having to deal with the disposable canisters.

moterbiker said:
I just bought this for a light duty stove, especially nice for simmering, this thing is tiny!

ÔÇó One of the lightest backpacking stoves in the world - only weighs 2.7 oz.
ÔÇó Fully adjustable heat up to 16,400 BTU's, 3 min. 40 sec./1 liter boil time
ÔÇó Serrated pan supports fold away for compact storage
ÔÇó One 220 g cartridge will last up to 0.83 hours on high / 2 hours on low
ÔÇó Operates on resealable butane/propane cartridge (cartridge not included)
ÔÇó Limited lifetime warranty

$39.99

O.K., sounds great and looks nice and small. Now, what the heck is it? I mean who makes it, what model? - BTW, are you coming to Charleston? I'm packing some Buffalo Trace.

Buffalo Trace is a brand of fine Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, made in Frankfort, Ky. Not quite to the level of a good single barrel like Blanton's, Elijah Craig or Evan Williams, but still, a very good bourbon.

I guess you could use it in a stove, but it would be very expensive and drinking it would make you feel warmer and not care if your stove worked or not.

I made the reference to moterbiker (who's post I was quoting) since I met him at Square Route and we discussed drinking over a few brewski's there. I told him I'd bring some boi-bon to Charlie-town.:cool:

I was considering bringing a bottle of sipping whiskey myself, has a bird on the label, Wild Turkey. If anyone wants any........

The Kickin' Chicken, as we call it(originally it just was 101proof)! Is that 80, 101, rare breed?

I'll take a sip of that bird.

Re: Stoves

John said:
I guess what was most important was morning coffee. I didn't know if that was available close or I had to go into town to the donut shop.

That would be my main concern as well, figuring that at a rally the "community" food options and/or restaurants nearby that I'd want to try.

For coffee, what about a 12v coffee maker? Thought of it after I saw a 12v hotpot at Target the other night, a web search turned up quite a few 12v appliances including a stove, pizza maker, and blender. Margaritas via my K12 power outlet? Now that would be something.

Re: Re: Stoves

ljmattox said:
For coffee, what about a 12v coffee maker? Thought of it after I saw a 12v hotpot at Target the other night, a web search turned up quite a few 12v appliances including a stove, pizza maker, and blender. Margaritas via my K12 power outlet? Now that would be something.
Those 12V appliances aren't what they're cracked up to be. From what I understand (not a coffee drinker), the coffee maker takes forever and REALLY sucks down the power. You'd have to have the bike running to use it and then it'd take at least 30 minutes. The 12V blender isn't powerful enough to crush ice. Anything 12V that uses heating elements is a waste of energy. You're better off with a small stove and percolator.

Don't know how I missed your post, the stove is a Coleman Exponent, I have been using it all summer and love it, I can't believe how long those fuel cans last.
Sorry we didn't get much time to talk at the national, it was kind of amazing even running into you Gar, I mean I looked left and you were walking next to us, strange:eek

Back