• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newly Acquired '08 K1200GT

DrPaul

DrPaul
After owning an airhead, two oilheads and a K75S I thought I had to have one of these new fangled Wedges. Been looking for a while. Found one not far away with low miles and made the mistake of taking a test ride. That was 500 miles ago so you know the rest of the story! Just rolled up on 9K miles and have no issues at all with the bike. The PO had the 6K service done by the Tulsa dealer. Don't plan on continuing that relationship as I've always done all my own BMW wrenching. Assuming I continue to love this motorcycle, I will put 10K or more miles per year on it. Looking through this forum's tech library, looks like most articles were written for the later model K1300. Would appreciate advice on service manuals to acquire (Clymer's, etc), special tools, service intervals, general care and feeding and any other tips and tricks from you guys. Are there other forums and internet resources out there you find helpful? Thanks!

Congrats on the new bike, that is if you really did get it. I think we'll be needing some photo evidence to confirm the purchase :D

I'm a recent convert to the wedge K as well. Got my 08 GT in January and put 8500 Kms on this year. Like you I made the mistake of taking a test ride on one and had been wanting one ever since.

Not sure how adept you are with technical manuals, but my preference is the BMW one on DVD. Its less detailed on the step by step processes, but has much more pertinent data on all aspects and systems. Its pricy from the dealer at about $100. There are unauthorised copies sold on eBay too if you're comfortable with that.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm waiting on my owners manuals I've ordered from BMW. Ordered an oil change "kit" from Beemer Boneyard just to get started.

Did my first oil change yesterday....its not too hard. Removing the sidestand assembly to get the filter off is a little dumb, however. :D

Did my first oil change yesterday....its not too hard. Removing the sidestand assembly to get the filter off is a little dumb, however. :D

I use these and the filter just clears the shifter. Is it the filters length or the non clearance to fit the round filter wrench?

Attachments

• bike-it_oil-filter-pliers_ofwpli.jpg
    bike-it_oil-filter-pliers_ofwpli.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 374
I didn't investigate too closely if the filter could have come off without removing the shifter....I just kept taking parts off. :D

I didn't investigate too closely if the filter could have come off without removing the shifter....I just kept taking parts off. :D
Well, first let me say the degree of difficulty changing oil and filter on this bike is about 10-fold greater than my R1150RT. Could BMW have put the filter in a more awkward location? Not wanting to fool with removal of the side stand assembly and/or shifter, I ran down the the auto parts store and purchased a pliers-type wrench (thanks, Steve). This worked pretty well for both removal of the old filter and tightening of the new one. Tried to cover the header pipes with foil but still ended up getting oil on them! Definitely have to remove the rear lower side panel screw to get the filters in and out. I do like having a dipstick (and NOT worrying about blowing the sight glass out) but having to remove the seat to check it is a minor PITA. I'm guessing the wiring that enters the top of the oil tank is a level sensor, right? I drained the oil tank (via the small clear flex tube) separately from the sump. Is this necessary or will all oil drain from the sump? Thanks!

In praise of the K1300GT

A good friend of mine in Tucson, who was a die-hard Big Twin Harley guy for >30 years, bought a new K1300GT (his first Beemer) and he absolutely LOVES it! He says, the sheer power, + the precision handling / braking is what he likes best. He is a happy camper now!;)

JJ Cerilli
Scottsdale, AZ

Well, first let me say the degree of difficulty changing oil and filter on this bike is about 10-fold greater than my R1150RT.

Nothing is as easy as changing the oil on a BMW Oilhead. Too bad they couldn't have made the fuel filter change on that bike as easy. ;)

I drained the oil tank (via the small clear flex tube) separately from the sump. Is this necessary or will all oil drain from the sump? Thanks!

I have always used the soda straw as the tank drain, cannot be in a hurry for sure. I dont think it will all drain out without using it. Unless someone speaks up, I will try it soon on one of ours for fun. As you mention, no way to not get oil on something....either on the headers or on the frame trying to move that straw to a drainpan.
Still as much fun as the cover over the filter on the old K engines.

07 K1200 GT now in my stable

I am glad to find this thread, It seems it's back to the beginning for me in terms of how to do anything on this bike; don't get me wrong, I rode another 100 miles today, and this bike has won my heart. I will learn and will open the wallet for a BMW owners manuel.

I will have to wait until next spring to do a real trip, so far just a few 400 mile jaunts into Wisconsin from my home in Southern MN this summer, and back and fourth to work everyday; about 90 miles a day.

Hi ya Steve!

Back