• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Monument Valley

Roger that!
Burr Trail is on the list.
Thx! :thumb

You are going to have fun. Watch some old Westerns before you go and you will feel like you are in them when you are Monument Valley.

Burr Trail? Are you riding a big GS, just one bike, or a couple of you? The Burr Trail can have some soft sections that can get ya stuck for a bit if you are a touch green to soft stuff riding.

It would probably be wise to check the weather before the Burr Trail. It's easily bypassed.
There is one water crossing. Also, look at it when you get to it. Then you can tell.
It probably would be no fun in the rain on a road bike.
dc

What is there to see?:)

Here are a few scenes

1398650-R1-E028.jpg

1398650-R1-E027.jpg

1398650-R1-E026.jpg

1398650-R1-E025.jpg

We have been there several times, several on the BMW, and once in the car. We drove the car ( Honda Civic) through Monument Valley, it is not paved, and you do have to pay to enter, and it is rough in several places, but the Civic did handle it, my K100RS would not have made it....the other highways around Monument Valley are paved, beautiful country - we will do go back

Rad, it's a GS Adventure .. 1 bike, 2 people, 2 cases and 1 bag. I thought to read that it shouldn't be a challenge until it's raining. Maybe I should ask in Boulder before we stuck. :whistle

crapdealerbob, looks awesome!! :thumb

Rad, it's a GS Adventure .. 1 bike, 2 people, 2 cases and 1 bag. I thought to read that it shouldn't be a challenge until it's raining. Maybe I should ask in Boulder before we stuck. :whistle

crapdealerbob, looks awesome!! :thumb

I think you will be good, other than rain. Never hurts to ask and it never hurts to stop and walk a section if you are not sure.

You are going to have a great time.

In August, 2 years ago, I knew it did rain the night before, but not much... I was in my jeep, started at Boulder heading toward Bull Frog on Burr trail... but before Peek-a-Boo arch, Burr Canyon was washed out and many massive boulders (much larger than the jeep) and ruts in the road, I still got pass them.... further along I must of crossed the river at least 5 times.... anywhere from 6" to 18" deep, with signs of water recently being 4'-6' higher..... then finally back on paved road, only to be about 5 miles from Bullfrog to find the entire road under water for about 1/3 of a mile. Nope at that point I chickened out and turned around. BTW it was a beautiful sunny day...... all day,

I did talk to the rangers in Escalante, and they did state the road was not passable that day....... it was a great adventure and I was glad I had the time that day to drive almost the entire length only to turn around and head back.

Two days later going back down to Peek-a-Boo arch with my family to see all of the damage and signs of the water, one would never be able to tell the wash out road and massive boulders that were there before and now mostly dry stream that I crossed a few days before.

Moral to the tale, one can never tell what Utah may offer in the summer months. What might appear to be dry and nice, can be a gully washer from the near by mountains.

http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/driving-the-burr-trail.htm

Back