• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Monument Valley

L

Luckies

Next year i plan to drive the 163 through the Monument Valley.
Do you think we should also visit the Navajo Tribal Park? Is it worth to pay for a visit and how much does it cost?
As i've heard the Monument Valley Road should be an asphalt road and the rest of the Park are dirt roads with deep sand here and there.

What about the conditions of the other roads next to the 163? Is it whise to think about an excursion on a heavy loaded bike (2 persons, 3 cases)? Or will we see the same scenery if we stay on the 163??

Thank you very much for any advise!

Sorry for my english. Please feel free to correct me so i can get better. ;)

163 is all paved and most of the other roads are not.
It is $ 5.00 per person admission fee.
You can drive or ride into the park but it is limited. A tour
We went took a Jeep tour for a couple of hours, I don't remember how much.

Attachments

• 115_1535.JPG
    115_1535.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 336
Hwy 261 is great, it is a smooth dirt with switch backs going North from Mexican Hat.
The dirt section is only about 5 miles. Great view.

Attachments

• 102_0295.JPG
    102_0295.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 337
Hwy 261 is great, it is a smooth dirt with switch backs going North from Mexican Hat.
The dirt section is only about 5 miles. Great view.

Rode the route earlier this year, road was in great shape and lightly traveled. And yes, since you're there I would visit the park too. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 05-18-11 068.jpg
    05-18-11 068.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 323
That is about 450 miles (730 KM).
You can ride it but you can't stop and look at much.
Two days would be much better.

Another great excursion is a dirt road that intersects 261 just north of Moki Dugway. It goes about 5 miles west to Muley Point, a wonderful and secluded overlook: the San Juan River is below, and Monument Valley in the distance.

Last edited:
Bryce Canyon to Page is a doable ride. There are a lot of things you may want to stop and see.

The road from Escalante to Boulder is quite scenic and fun. You can stop at Kiva Coffeehouse and take in the view.

I've enjoyed two meals at Burr Trail Grill. The coconut cream pie is muy bueno!

Since you are in the area, you should run out the Burr Trail to the overlook at the end of the pavement.

UT 12 over Boulder Mountain is a blast. Watch out for LEO's, tar snakes, cows and deer.

Your route takes you through Capitol Reef National Park. This is another really scenic area, and you may want to stop to take in the view.

Consider the Moki dugway and Valley of the Gods. We drove through Valley of the Gods in our truck last year. There were gullies that could be muddy or wet, and some swales on blind corners. The surface was pretty good other than that. I'm not sure about two up. :dunno

Edit: OK. I said Cameron but meant to say Gouldings. Gouldings Lodge is the place where they used to (and may still) make movies. Cameron is basically a Trading Post along US 89. They do have lodging, and I liked the western motif, but not much more than the Trading Post is there.

The run through Monument Valley is pretty nice. If you decide to take a tour of Monument Valley, you might consider stopping at Cameron. It is about halfway between Page and Flagstaff and they used to film western movies here.

I hope you enjoy your visit out West! Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Last edited:
You will not be satisfied doing that ride in one day. You will not be able to go 55 or more all the time. I hope you figure out how to enjoy it.

That is too much for one day. You need to stop several places out there, and just soak up some of the view.
The other thing you might want to throw in, is the boat between Halls Crossing and Bullfrog. Just be sure it's running before you go out there.
On your proposed route, you probably have 100 serious scenic overlooks to stop at. Even if you stop at only 5 or 10, you will be out way after dark.
Take 2 days at it.
(I hope you didn't go already.)
dc

June trip

Just stumbled on this thread. I've been looking for info on this area. We are headed this way and looking for a good place to base camp. Have to take the truck and pull trailer with 1150 gs and f650st. I have to pick up stuff from Muddernlaws in SOCAL.
So we figured we might as well bring the road bikes and see as much of the area as we could. Probably won't be back this way again. SO any suggestions would be appreciated, like state and national parks with enough elevation so it's cool at nite.
Thanks In advance
Mike

If you've come this far the roads mentioned here are all outstanding. Depending on time, Hwy 95 from Blanding to Hanksville is absolutely one of the best runs in the country with excellent surface and zero traffic for hours. The dilemma is cutting into Hwy 95 by way of 261. I'd also recommend riding the Moki Dugway to anyone as one of those unusual roads that has no comparison. Certainly worth doing once, but you loose part of Hwy 95.

I stayed in Bluff, UT this past summer at a place I'd highly recommend called The Desert Rose Inn. It was outstanding while in the middle of nowhere. I mention Bluff since it's a good starting or ending point in this area being one of the few towns with fuel. Buy gas when you see it, and always stay aware of your fuel range in these parts. Gas stations are sparse and temperature ranges are wide with cold mornings and super hot afternoons.

Hwy 163 is indeed another great run to pass by Mexican Hat and Monument Valley. The weather on that road turned on me within an hour from clear to 50 mph cross wind gusts and blowing sand.

Went from this:

Attachments

• 163 clear side.jpg
    163 clear side.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
To this in an hour: I'm still getting sand out of my teeth. I had high westerly cross winds and head wind all the way to Flagstaff that day. The tours at Monument Valley were cancelled that morning so I pushed on even though I was hoping to take the bus tour.

Attachments

• 163.jpg
    163.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 115
Last good shot about an hour before the sand storm with heavy cross winds picking up.

Attachments

• 163 clear.jpg
    163 clear.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 135
Thanks for your advices!!!! :clap

I've changed the route and split it into two days. For this it looks like that we will finish day 1 at the campground in Halls Crossing.

Burr Trail Grill and Gouldings Lodge are also marked as targets. ;)

:thumb

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.at/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=UT-63+N&daddr=UT-12+E+to:Unbekannte+Stra%C3%9Fe+to:Gouldings+Trading+Post+Rd%2FLodge+Rd+to:AZ-98+W&geocode=FSEaPwIdPLFQ-Q%3BFW1UQgIdccpb-Q%3BFc2oOwIdQudm-Q%3BFdSvNAIdgW1u-Q%3BFT35MgIdnHxb-Q&sll=37.456192,-110.693693&sspn=0.05512,0.077162&vpsrc=6&hl=de&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=14&ie=UTF8&ll=37.456192,-110.693693&spn=0.05512,0.077162&t=m&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.at/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=UT-63+N&daddr=UT-12+E+to:Unbekannte+Stra%C3%9Fe+to:Gouldings+Trading+Post+Rd%2FLodge+Rd+to:AZ-98+W&geocode=FSEaPwIdPLFQ-Q%3BFW1UQgIdccpb-Q%3BFc2oOwIdQudm-Q%3BFdSvNAIdgW1u-Q%3BFT35MgIdnHxb-Q&sll=37.456192,-110.693693&sspn=0.05512,0.077162&vpsrc=6&hl=de&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=14&ie=UTF8&ll=37.456192,-110.693693&spn=0.05512,0.077162&t=m" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Gr?Â?ƒere Kartenansicht</a></small>

How long do I need from Boulder to Halls Crossing on the Burr Trail?
Can it be done on a full loaded GSA (2 persons & 3 cases)??

Depends on how fast you go. I did it in about 2 hours or less on a fully loaded RT, 3 bags, 1 person, last May. The Burr Trail is not paved. There are some serious switchbacks. From Boulder to Bullfrog is the down hill way.
Sometimes Burr Trail Grill is crowded. And slow. There is another place 1/4 mile to the east on the Burr Trail road.
Very nice. And no crowd.
Bullfrog to Halls Crossing and return, the boat runs only on every other hour. So depending on timing you may have to wait.
I was chagrined about Burr Trail by a local. How cars and Harleys go out there. But those may be rentals.
Anyway, they also said, 'you made it, didn't you.' It will be scenic, weather permitting.
dc

Kodachrome

If your in that area it's really ashamed to not stop at Kodachrome State park. Ita a few miles off hwy 12 but well worth the time.

Back