• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thinking about a k1300s - thoughts?

P944T

I am leaving HD and had an RT. I rode the k1300s and was actually more comfortable on it than the RT. I knew BMW thought about discontinuing these bikes, but will be around for 2012. Any thoughts / concerns?

K1300S Thoughts

I have a 2009 BMW K1300S that I bought 18 months ago and have put about 5,000 miles on it (yes, I am pathetic) and can tell you I find it to be an ultimate sport tourer. I've ridden on plenty of short and more than a few long distance treks (in excess of 1,400 miles) as well as taken it on the track. It is a phenomenal all-round bike (not a GS but I do no off-road or trail riding) and have been very pleased with it. The performance is exceptional and I find it very comfortable to ride long distances (though I do take breaks at ~200 mile refueling intervals). I don't think you can go wrong with this bike but it all comes down to what you want to do and how you ride.

Kent

Also had a HD and a RT. Still have a GSA and a couple of other boxers...but the fun factor of our K12S's are still a big smile maker. Have done long days and long trips as well on my S. My wife rode mine one weekend and now has one of her own as I was looking at losing mine!
If you ride solo mostly, an S is choice. You can do two up, but that's better on a GT. The danger is that the bike goes from zero to ticket real quick. It draws the eyes of the LEO's quicker than the RT for sure.

The 13S has some refinements to ride comfort with a different fork angle and a slightly longer wheelbase. As with most of these bikes, there are some issues that plague a few bikes. Searching here and on the K bike site will give more opinions. I'd buy another one...or two!

Thanks! I do both long (2000 miles plus trips) and day trips. My wife rarely rides, so not much of a factor. I rode the 1300s and I liked the fact it knows it's a beast, but seems like you can control it. I rode 2007 gt and didn't care for it.

Any quirks I need to know?

The older bikes had chirpy/juddery clutch packs and the cam chain tensioner upgraded for a rattling timing chain on earlier models . The engine management software seems to be fixed now as well. The 13S should be good to go.
Hang on for more input...

yes, an excellent touring bike. i have over 30k on my 2006 K12S. Had taken the GS on the last two long trips and had forgotten how smooth that K bike really is! and FAST!!!! Rode it up thru Nevada on the way to WSBK in Salt Lake last May.

Blasts to 140+ are soooo easy :D

Have owned an '05 K1200S since, well, 2005. It is on my short list of all time favorite bikes to own/ride. Has been a reliable, comfy, grin inducing thing since day one. Can go far, and hang with anything. Very versatile.

Still a looker imo...
k1200sjeff126_hdr.jpg

Thanks - she looks good! What exhaust do you have on it?

Have the full Akrapovic system with the Evoluzione air box/filters kit. A potent combination for a bike that is already more capable and willing than the rider astride it.

If $$$ are any kind of factor, the slightly more refined K1300S delivers only four extra HP's with 4lbs more weight. Most wouldn't notice the power diff between the two. There is a slight, extra rawness or snarl to the K1200S. The ergos are the same. MCN gave the '05 K1200S the very rare five stars, and the '09 K1300S four stars. K1200S prices are in the basement. Can pick up a sweet, clean, reliable, like new K1200S, that is 95%+ of the K1300S, for less than half the price of a new K1300S.

k1200starryall_tm.jpg

Can hear it here...

http://youtu.be/0fuCN5jUIQY

BMW K1300S Quirkiness

I am not aware of any quirkiness but there are certain attributes you should know about on the K1300S. The bike corners like it's on rails -- meaning that when you are hauling tail getting it to turn (or flip from side-to-side) is not easy. It's almost as if there were a massive gyroscopic effect that was keeping the bike upright -- which in some situations like the one that follows is good.

So on that note, I recently had the unusual pleasure of riding the bike on the highway in 30 - 40 mph gusts which tended to push the bike from one side of the lane to the other. I think this is due to the large side fairing which probably acts like a sail. There was never a problem but the first time I hit a gust it did startle me a bit. Under more normal circumstances it is absolutely unshakable. Other than that, i can't think of anything to complain about.

Kent

P.S. I guess there's no such thing as too much power so more of that might be nice!

The exhaust sounds great! A local dealer has an 09 k1300s he just got in for trade with about 8,000 miles on it. Thinking about that.

Another data point

I'm currently riding a F800ST and I demo road (~45mins) a K1200S and came away less than thrilled. It was a good bike and it definitely much faster, but it just seemed less fun overall. I attributed that to the weight and the power. The weight because it just wasn't very flick-able and responsive as the F8. It feels much more substantial, but not always in a good way.

The power was fun and there is no contest between a K12 and a F8 in that department, but I felt like I was babysitting it all the time. Whereas with the F8 I can roll on the throttle hard coming out of a corner and perhaps snick through a gear, the K12 was so much more I couldn't really do that for fear of the men in blue. Yes, with the F8 I'm still speeding, but it's ticket kind of speeds rather than go to jail and loose your license speeds. Thus, riding the K12 at the same pace seemed less fun. If your goal is to ride faster the K12 wins easily, but if you want a "reasonable" pace which is loads of fun and involving the F8 IMHO is far superior. YMMV.

Bmw k1300s

Gunderwood makes a good point (as I mention in my post regarding the K-bike feeling like it's on rails). But he also makes my case for the K-bike as I prefer "lose your license and go to jail" power in my motorcycles! To each his own. :)

Kent

I love my K12S '06 - same as Sfarson - but with a Hot Cam - no baffle in :thumb a nice roar to stock & weight lose.
In my case - I work for the Man in Blue :nyah
I went from a K75S to a K12S - 75 hp to 167hp -beat the piss out the k75 in 4th & 5th gear 5/6K RPM's ( & miss her now ) K12S 11/12K RPM 4th & 5th gear is a bit different, & 6 th for the highway and 240 miles on a tank the open road - City driving is very bad

What Kent said.

Wonderful bike. I came from my (still have it) K1200RS, and the S feels to me like it is very flickable. Nope, not in the league of my sons Duc. Probably not as nimble as a lighter and smaller twin, but I live in an area of very twisty roads where guys come in to our Inn on RTs and complain that the roads are to tight and twisty for tooooo long. I love it and really enjoy this bike. Track day instructors were surprised it was handling as well as it does. I commute about 200 miles in the morning and then back in the evening on a weekly basis and choose the twistiest routes to Sacramento and back. It is great for these rides. And with all the electronic aides, it is really pretty unbeatable for me.

Thanks for the help. I am purchasing one! A red 2011 K1300S loaded. Good bye big Harley Road Glide, hello BMW!

Thanks for the help. I am purchasing one! A red 2011 K1300S loaded. Good bye big Harley Road Glide, hello BMW!

Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it and they are beautiful bikes. :thumb

But he also makes my case for the K-bike as I prefer "lose your license and go to jail" power in my motorcycles! To each his own.
It is fun, but just not right for me at this time. Perhaps when/if I have more than one bike it will make more sense. The power is addicting and if I rode that all the time I'd be meeting 119240...

I am glad people purchase enough of these machines and the super sports because they truly are incredible. Ah, perhaps when someone has the funds and guts to open a US autobahn toll road or something...:dance

Back