• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride To Tank & Ordnance Museum Danville VA

saddleman

Enjoy The Ride
On sat. November the 19th a group of us from the Charlotte NC area will be riding to the museum www.aaftankmuseum.com/ We will meet at www.punchysdiner.com for breakfast and leave at 8:00am & arrive around 11:00am. We'll meet other riders at the museum. Feel free to join us at Punchy's or meet us at the museum.

Dave,

It is an interesting place. I took my 86 year old father there. He was in WWII and almost got tears in his eyes at some of the stuff he saw.

You'll enjoy it, sorry I can't meet up with you.

We will be leaving from the Diner at 550 Concord Parkway (US29 & Popular Tent Rd.) Concord NC at 8:00 am. I'll see you there Lee.

I am going to call some of the guys i ride with in the Winston Salem area and see if i can drum up a few to go along.

Hope to see some of you there.
Doug

I have planned to go there sometime, but I'll be SCUBA diving in the Bahamas. I would love to hear a report.

Excellent Excuse for a Ride... (or Excuse for an EXCELLENT Ride!)

Better check with Willville - I heard their last campout was around Halloween.

That is correct. Willville is closed for the season. :cry

Seeing this forum thread inspired me to shirk all responsibilities and set aside all other weekend commitments (damn glad I looked). The "honey-do" list can wait. Screw it, I'm going for a ride! :rocker

The weather in Danville should be near perfect. At least one other rider from the C'ville area will be coming along with me down to Danville on Saturday morning. We've been wanting to check out the Tank Museum for some time now and there's no time like the present. Not that we need an excuse to ride or anything, but this is a nice destination and we figure maybe it's a good opportunity to meet up with some fellow riders too. :wave

Ride safe and we'll see y'all down the road,

-MTS

It's supposed to be slightly chilly in the morning. Round up everybody you can and bring (drag?) them to Punchy's Diner in Concord or to the tank museum, or both.:laugh See you there.

I tried to get some local guys here interested, but everyone had plans made with grand kids already.

Then I was going to go alone and hook up with the group at the museum. Well that was until SWMBO dropped a project in my lap at the last minute.

Have a good ride, maybe next time.
Doug

Ride update...

We left Concord, NC last Sat. am at 8:30. It was a bit cool that morning. We got to the museum about 11:15. That place is huge! They have some displays set up showing imaginary action. One had a mural on the wall painted like a warehouse the tank had just run through. Stuff scattered everywhere! Even a man pinned under the tank's treads. Really good value for $10. We (the slower group) finished our tour around 1:30 and headed to Mary's Diner for lunch. A good ride, to a good museum, to a good lunch, with good friends.:thumb In the cold. It doesn't get any better than this!:laugh

If you're interested in tanks, it's definitely worth a trip to Danville, VA.

Sorry i missed out on this one. The place is now on my bucket list.
I was a tanker for a while in the Army and love those baby's !!

On the "Upcoming Events" board in the entryway was the heading "Talk to a Tanker". Get info from "someone who was there". It didn't say from what war or where he/they would be from. I didn't commit the date to memory. Can't swear that there was one. A call to the museum could verify dates. Seems like stuff happens in April.

We talked to the owner/coordinator of the museum a couple times. An ok fella. When asked how the tanks and vehicles were moved into place, he told us about half of them run.

All in all we had a good size group (14 bikes, 16 people & 1 dog) ride to the museum. It was about a 12 hr. day for me & a little longer for others. The museum was great. There big weekend is the last weekend in April in 2012. If I'm home that weekend I'll more than likley go back. They run some of the tanks & crush cars with them that weekend & do a flame thrower demo.

Back