• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spiegler brake lines

I recently installed a set of Spiegler brake lines into an R1100RT. I found the lines to be well made and properly sized. The fittings were angled well to fit and they can be swiveled so they will connect without twisting.

Not that hard to get fluid back into the lines especially with speed bleeders. You might have to get fluid in the line with the OEM bleed valves first, then switch to the speed bleeders. If there's air at the speed bleeder instead of fluid there might not be enough pressure to move the check valve out of the way.

Good move going with quality brake lines. I did the same on my 94 RS and am very pleased with the results.

I work as a field/sales engineer for the worlds largest hydraulic hose manufacturer, and I have seen what goes into making the OEM brake hoses, which isn't much. Plus they age, weaken, get soft/spongy. I would NEVER spend one penny on OEM rubber brake hoses. Stainless steel braided/teflon tubed brake hoses are the only way to go for consistent feel and long life.

+1 on Spiegler lines. Just replaced mine a week ago after springing a leak near the front MC. ('96 R1100RS, 90,000 miles) A little past due. Very satisfied with quality and fit. Though I did have to rotate a fitting or 2, no biggie. And definite improvement in braking.

Question for Zaasu. I've been thinking about these for my '00 RT. Any hints on suppliers? There seems to be quite a few.
Best dealers?
Best prices?

I bought mine from a dealer. They were only familiar with the silver, but if you look on the Spiegler website you'll see they can be ordered in different colors. Chances are your dealer will have to order them anyway. They should be ordered as a kit, rear and front, for your specific model bike. Instal is not at all hard.

I had my OEM lines on my RT for 90,000 miles. Man what a difference the new lines made! Stopping ability is so much better!

I removed my old lines way before receiving the new ones in the mail.... allowed a lot of air in the system. Couldn't bleed it out at the calipers, so used a Mitivac at the ABS box and calipers to get the air out.

bleed

Since you have an 1100, bleeding the new lines will be easy. You will have to bleed at the ABS controller under the tank, but you bleed those just as you would bleed down at the wheel. You won't need speed bleeders for those two fittings since they are up so high.

No hints or suggestions, but I installed Spieglers on my 94 RS at the same time as new discs front and rear and rebuilding rear caliper. Huge difference in braking when all 3 are combined. +1 on bleeding at the ABS controller.

Question for Zaasu. I've been thinking about these for my '00 RT. Any hints on suppliers? There seems to be quite a few.
Best dealers?
Best prices?

I buy most of my stuff from Pirates Lair. I used them a lot when I owned a GT.
Jerry is very knowledgable and very stright forward.

He was the same price as everyone else, however I know from past experience he will go the extra yard if any issues come up.

I called Spiegler directly and ordered them from him. They were shipped direct to me, at the web site quoted price - not discounted.

Last year before going to the RA Rally in VT I replaced the brake lines on my 94 R11RS with braided stainless brake lines from Spiegler. I used my MityVac to drain the old fluid and bleed air from the newly installed lines.

I use this hand-operated MityVac vacuum pump each year on my bikes with hydraulic brakes. The R11RS was purchased new in 1994. No problems. Fresh crush washers are necessary. I don't think that it matters if the crush washers are aluminum or copper. Spiegler supplies the correct number with the brake lines (I don't recall which type are supplied).

Make certain the the lines can be installed with out kinks before tightening the banjo bolts. Spiegler supplies a small nylon dowel that can be used to make a slight rotation in the fitting and line to achieve a perfectly aligned brake line.

Spiegler info can be found here -
http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/cycle-brake-line-kits.html

MityVacs can be purchased here -
http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html

I have had Speiglers on my '99 R1100RS for the last ten years or so. They were easy to install and fit perfectly. An added bonus was the top line was slightly longer than the stock line and gave me more room for my Bar-Backs!
Ron L

Adventures Workshop

I can tell you where NOT to order them....

Adventures Workshop

seems they're no longer accepting web orders... the sight is basically down ...

all their numbers have been disconnected....

I had several email discussions with Andy... ordered them.... then nothin :bluduh

in credit card limbo right now :cry

edit:
hmm... just received an email that my order was shipped today??!! funny, I just emailed them today. maybe his email still works and there's hope?

we'll see which arrives first... the brakelines or the credit card purchase dispute paperwork

Last edited:
Tom Cutter is a Spiegler dealer.

I've done it twice. I replaced and bled the lines one at a time. It made bleeding easier.

Adventures Workshop

good news / bad news on my Spiegler lines from Adventures workshop...

good news - they did arrive!
bad news - they were the standard kit.. not the special colors and extra length I ordered, but the stainless color looks good on a black RS

good news - the standard 5 line kit from Spiegler for a R1100RS seems to fit ok without extra length for having bar backs.. I wanted 1.5" extra, but what they send is plenty long enough for the line to the master cylinder... 2" extra is probably too long

I received mine and installed them Saturday. Seems to me that the lines to the caliper are too long. They stop OK, but the lines once installed look like the Tail of the Dragon. I called Speigler, they asked me to take pics and send to them which I will do tomorrow.

Braided Lines . . . .

Replacing my OEM brake lines with Spiegler was on of the best upgrades I have made. I noticed immediately how much better it stopped.
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Back