Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spiegler brake lines

Spiegler brake lines

I just ordered a set for my 1995 R1100RSL. I plan to install and bleed the system myself. I also ordered speed bleeders.

Any suggestions or hints?

I recently installed a set of Spiegler brake lines into an R1100RT. I found the lines to be well made and properly sized. The fittings were angled well to fit and they can be swiveled so they will connect without twisting.

Not that hard to get fluid back into the lines especially with speed bleeders. You might have to get fluid in the line with the OEM bleed valves first, then switch to the speed bleeders. If there's air at the speed bleeder instead of fluid there might not be enough pressure to move the check valve out of the way.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Good move going with quality brake lines. I did the same on my 94 RS and am very pleased with the results.

I work as a field/sales engineer for the worlds largest hydraulic hose manufacturer, and I have seen what goes into making the OEM brake hoses, which isn't much. Plus they age, weaken, get soft/spongy. I would NEVER spend one penny on OEM rubber brake hoses. Stainless steel braided/teflon tubed brake hoses are the only way to go for consistent feel and long life.
    Get trained! The best "performance" upgrade you can get is YOU. Visit msf-usa.org for training info.

redram
    +1 on Spiegler lines. Just replaced mine a week ago after springing a leak near the front MC. ('96 R1100RS, 90,000 miles) A little past due. Very satisfied with quality and fit. Though I did have to rotate a fitting or 2, no biggie. And definite improvement in braking.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Question for Zaasu. I've been thinking about these for my '00 RT. Any hints on suppliers? There seems to be quite a few.
    Best dealers?
    Best prices?
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I bought mine from a dealer. They were only familiar with the silver, but if you look on the Spiegler website you'll see they can be ordered in different colors. Chances are your dealer will have to order them anyway. They should be ordered as a kit, rear and front, for your specific model bike. Instal is not at all hard.

I had my OEM lines on my RT for 90,000 miles. Man what a difference the new lines made! Stopping ability is so much better!

I removed my old lines way before receiving the new ones in the mail.... allowed a lot of air in the system. Couldn't bleed it out at the calipers, so used a Mitivac at the ABS box and calipers to get the air out.
    Christopher Ross
    Lubbock, Texas
    IBA# 522
    2016 R1200RS, 2012 R1200GSA, 1975 R90/6 (x2)

bleed

Since you have an 1100, bleeding the new lines will be easy. You will have to bleed at the ABS controller under the tank, but you bleed those just as you would bleed down at the wheel. You won't need speed bleeders for those two fittings since they are up so high.

harryt11
    No hints or suggestions, but I installed Spieglers on my 94 RS at the same time as new discs front and rear and rebuilding rear caliper. Huge difference in braking when all 3 are combined. +1 on bleeding at the ABS controller.

Question for Zaasu. I've been thinking about these for my '00 RT. Any hints on suppliers? There seems to be quite a few.
    Best dealers?
    Best prices?

I buy most of my stuff from Pirates Lair. I used them a lot when I owned a GT.
    Jerry is very knowledgable and very stright forward.

He was the same price as everyone else, however I know from past experience he will go the extra yard if any issues come up.

I called Spiegler directly and ordered them from him. They were shipped direct to me, at the web site quoted price - not discounted.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Last year before going to the RA Rally in VT I replaced the brake lines on my 94 R11RS with braided stainless brake lines from Spiegler. I used my MityVac to drain the old fluid and bleed air from the newly installed lines.

I use this hand-operated MityVac vacuum pump each year on my bikes with hydraulic brakes. The R11RS was purchased new in 1994. No problems. Fresh crush washers are necessary. I don't think that it matters if the crush washers are aluminum or copper. Spiegler supplies the correct number with the brake lines (I don't recall which type are supplied).

Make certain the the lines can be installed with out kinks before tightening the banjo bolts. Spiegler supplies a small nylon dowel that can be used to make a slight rotation in the fitting and line to achieve a perfectly aligned brake line.

Spiegler info can be found here -
    http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/cycle-...line-kits.html

MityVacs can be purchased here -
    http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac...ump-39522.html

I have had Speiglers on my '99 R1100RS for the last ten years or so. They were easy to install and fit perfectly. An added bonus was the top line was slightly longer than the stock line and gave me more room for my Bar-Backs!
    Ron L

I ordered a + 2 to accommodate my barbacks

Thumbs down Adventures Workshop

I can tell you where NOT to order them....

Adventures Workshop

seems they're no longer accepting web orders... the sight is basically down ...

all their numbers have been disconnected....

I had several email discussions with Andy... ordered them.... then nothin

in credit card limbo right now

edit:
    hmm... just received an email that my order was shipped today??!! funny, I just emailed them today. maybe his email still works and there's hope?

we'll see which arrives first... the brakelines or the credit card purchase dispute paperwork
    Last edited by R1100RS; 11-10-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Tom Cutter is a Spiegler dealer.

I've done it twice. I replaced and bled the lines one at a time. It made bleeding easier.