• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS "bill"

geisterfahrer

Bill the Cat
I've been wondering about the ginormous "bill" BMW has put at the front of its GS bikes. You know, that big piece of tupperware that sticks out in front like a bird beak.

Is it there only for "esthetic" reasons, or is there some other purpose? :dunno

At least on my G650GS, it serves as a housing for the horn...:thumb

it funnels air to the oil cooler.

most call it a "beak"... and the bike looks kind weird without it.

well, for that matter, it looks kinda weird with it, too... :ha

It's a styling thing. The beak should resemble the high fenders that offroad motorcycles have, like on this old GS:
pdclassic.jpg

I think BMW copied it from Suzuki, who made this DR BIG in '88:
1988_DR750-Big_red_800.jpg

It's a styling thing. The beak should resemble the high fenders that offroad motorcycles have, like on this old GS:
pdclassic.jpg

I think BMW copied it from Suzuki, who made this DR BIG in '88:
1988_DR750-Big_red_800.jpg

Good observation.

You could have posted the second half of this response in the "Jeez, does Triumph have *any* shame?" thread.

E :german

I was just about to. The down force generated definitely helps keep the front wheel down during acceleration otherwise it is constantly up in the air!:evil

Heh... Yeah, didn't Suzuki have any shame?

Hint: The high fender/beak was on the R80 G/S long before the DR-BIG. http://www.bikeexif.com/30-years-of-the-bmw-gs
The high fender yes (like I said), but BMW didn't make it into a beak straight away, did they? Or did I miss something? Not that it really matters anyway. It's all the same in the end. If you look at all the bikes, there's very little that is really original.

We would have ended up with some crazy looking bikes if everything should be original... ;)

Good observation.

You could have posted the second half of this response in the "Jeez, does Triumph have *any* shame?" thread.

E :german

:ha touch?® !!!

there's a saying in the ad biz that goes "there's nothing new under the sun."

ian

ps => man, i wish Suzuki would sell a bike like that here in the US now. Ditto with the Yamaha Tenere 650

Purpose?

It holds the computer's temp sensor, up under the beak and aerodynamics, wind tunnel thing. It needed a beak to flow! I have seen some owners taking the beak off, ugly without it. Nice Suzuki, never seen that one:). Randy

Back