Thread: Build Date

Build Date

How can one find the build date for a /5? I have found a couple of sites that allow a VIN search, but they require a 7 digit number. From what I can tell I have a 6 digit number. Have I got the wrong number or is there another place to find a build date?

All bikes beginning with the /5 had a 7-digit engine number...it should be stamped right above the dipstick hole. I believe in 1981 they went to the more standard long number format for the VIN, but the last 7 digits is the same engine number. You should have a 7-digit number, unless you have a /2 engine in your /5 frame.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I see I missed a digit. Thanks.

On the Road
    The 7 digit number on your engine will be for the engine. Check the number stamped in the right front top of frame and number on ID plate at front of steering head. If you have the ID plate the build date will be stamped into it ( at least on /5 or /6.)

One of my /5s has a different engine number than chassis number meaning that engine was swapped at some time. It's nice when all numbers match.

In many cases the build date is a year earlier than model or title date. My 1975 /6 was built 9/74 and my 1971 /5 was built 6/70.
    Last edited by paultavilla; 11-04-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by paultavilla View Post
    In many cases the build date is a year earlier than model or title date. My 1975 /6 was built 9/74 and my 1971 /5 was built 6/70.
    Paul -

I can see the /6 being called a '75 model. The June 1970 build seems like should really be a '70 model...interesting...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

michaelc
    Quote Originally Posted by paultavilla View Post
    Interesting. I have a 1973 LWB 75/5. The VIN indicates it was made in January of 1973, but I thought the LWB models were introduced in the latter half of '73. At first I thought it was a SWB to LWB conversion, but this could explain the discrepancy between the build date and the model date.

On the Road
    Kurt,
    Don't forget that back in the early '70s dealers often got away with selling last year's inventory as current when titled. I believe that might explain my '71/5 with 6/70 build date.

totally normal, and has nothing to do with excessive inventory. just how it goes.
    my 2001 has a build date of June 2000.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots