• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shoei Multitec helmet

Just purchased a new Shoei Neotec. So far so good. I have been wearing the helmet around the house to give it a little break-in. So I will be outside riding my RT. First impression, I really like it. I have never had a Shoei before. Last Helmet was an Arai Quantum II. Head fit seems good so far with no hot spots. Check pads are thick. Will need to get used to the pressure on my face until the pads settle in. I am planning to install a Sena SMH10 on the helmet but have not seen or heard anyone else's install experience with the clamp style. Any advise would be great.

JL

I'm in the same boat as you regarding the Sena mount. I have three other helmets with mounts. Two with the standard mount and one with the detachable/extended line mic. The latter is in my Nolan modular. I don't see that I will have room for the quarter sized plastic base on the extended boom mic mount on the Neotec like I did on the Nolan. So I'm going to order the stock type mount.

Boy is this helmet quieter than my Nolan 103. And it seems to vent well. Only thing I can complain is that I can't put it on while I have my glasses on. It is stiffer in the cheek area than the Nolan because the hard inner shell extends out there so it doesn't flex enough to get past the ear pieces. That is also why the Sena mount I mentioned above doesn't fit either. No access room.

Replaced Multitec with C3

I used a Multitec for five years before replacing it last spring with the C3.

I just saw an ad for the Neotech in one of the half-dozen m/c magazines I read each month. I chuckled when I saw Shoei's listing of the improvements in the Neotech over the Multitech - internal sun visor, quieter, lighter, less aerodynamic drag - all the reasons why I decided to replace the Multitec with the C3.

The C3 was an evolutionary improvement over the Multitec. The C3 is far lighter than my Multitec, and it's whisper-quiet inside. The sun visor works perfectly, and I'll never own a helmet without that feature.

My only complaints with the C3 are the initial purchase price, and the price of replacement visors as they get scratched and pitted with normal use.

When it's time to replace my C3, I'll investigate what's on the market in 3-4 years, but as of now, I'd be perfectly happy with another C3.

Just purchased a new Shoei Neotec. So far so good. I have been wearing the helmet around the house to give it a little break-in. So I will be outside riding my RT. First impression, I really like it. I have never had a Shoei before. Last Helmet was an Arai Quantum II. Head fit seems good so far with no hot spots. Check pads are thick. Will need to get used to the pressure on my face until the pads settle in. I am planning to install a Sena SMH10 on the helmet but have not seen or heard anyone else's install experience with the clamp style. Any advise would be great.

JL

Here's my Neotec with the Sena attached. The microphone boom is a bit of a PITA, as i must move it into position after lowering the visor. I removed the foam pads at the ears, which left a nice recess for the Sena speakers. Easy install.

e424d272.jpg

ade467a4.jpg

f677f001.jpg

10ab646b.jpg

ad8e64c9.jpg

Neotec and Sena install

Zoomzoommo, thanks a lot for posting the pictures of your Neotec with the Sena. This gives me a great look to work with. Did you have any issue pushing the mount into the helmet between the outer shell and core lining? Looks like you didn't have any issue with the visor lever either. I may look into the Sena plate with the detached mic. It gives you a little more room to work plus I may be able to install the mic in between the check pad.

JL

Zoomzoommo, thanks a lot for posting the pictures of your Neotec with the Sena. This gives me a great look to work with. Did you have any issue pushing the mount into the helmet between the outer shell and core lining? Looks like you didn't have any issue with the visor lever either. I may look into the Sena plate with the detached mic. It gives you a little more room to work plus I may be able to install the mic in between the check pad.

JL

No issues at all with the mount between the two pieces when the cheek pads are removed, although reinstallation on the Sena side was tight.

One other question

Zoomzoommo,

Did you have to remove the chin cold weather guard from the front of the helmet or does it slide freely over the mic when you open/close the lid?

JL

+1 on the thanks for posting the photos. Looks like you used the clamp on the mount, right? Not the adhesive backed plate.

Looks good. I'll be ordering yet another mount I guess. Two Senas, 4 helmets, 2 heads. I'm very lucky that my wife's head is so similar to mine. We each have a primary helmet, I have a dual sport, and now my old Nolan if she wants to wear a modular instead of her Qwest.

I used the adhesive mount from the Sena on my Neotec helmet with no issues so far. It has been on several 500 mile rides so far. I use the same Sena unit for either my Arai Vector or the Shoei. The gap was very tight between the shell and liner on the Neotec so I chose the adhesive mount. I didn't want to mess up the fit. The extra mount purchased included the clamp and adhesive system. The key is to use rubbing alcohol on the finish where the adhesive goes to remove any oils or wax. After that let the adhesive cure before riding. I let my helmet cure for 24 hours.

The mounting location for my installation is the same as Zoom shows. The standard mic reaches and access for the solar shield slider is good. No problem with the mic with the chin curtain. All one has to do is reach past the curtain after the chin bar is closed to get optimal positioning.

Zoomzoommo,

Did you have to remove the chin cold weather guard from the front of the helmet or does it slide freely over the mic when you open/close the lid?

JL

Gr8ridin's response above is perfect, but you do have to position the mic when opening or closing the face.

I had a Nolan and it kept sliding down on my face after a few hundred miles pressing on my sun glasses so I tried the Shoei and never looked back. It's lighter and just fits my head better. I like it!:)

+1 on the thanks for posting the photos. Looks like you used the clamp on the mount, right? Not the adhesive backed plate.

Looks good. I'll be ordering yet another mount I guess. Two Senas, 4 helmets, 2 heads. I'm very lucky that my wife's head is so similar to mine. We each have a primary helmet, I have a dual sport, and now my old Nolan if she wants to wear a modular instead of her Qwest.

I just installed the Sena on mine and my wife's Neotecs. I used the clamp on mount as well and experienced no problems. I mounted mine in exactly the same place as shown in the pictures. I also decided to use the detached boom mike after trying the attached mike and having to move it in and out of the way when opening the shield. The detached mike installed easily behind the cheekpads and so far is working perfect.

Sena SMH10 on Shoei Neotec

I completed the install of the Sena SMH10 on my Shoei Neotec. I decided to use the metal backplate. I was successful finding a location to slip the backplate into the helment without any issues. I am installing the headset with the detachable mic. I installed the mic under the left check pad and it fits perfect. Needs a little bending to get around the check pad snaps. I paired up a bluetooth transmitter from my ipod and paired up just the phone with my iphone 4s. Incoming calls ring in my headset and silence the music from my ipod. I can make and receive calls.

Everything works great inside the house but the next test will be on the bike. I will post an update of my experience.

JL

I used to wear Shoei helmets. Headaches and a big red dot on my forehead. Is there any improvement on this issue with the Multitec. Wear the long oval Arai now but would like a flip front.

I used to wear Shoei helmets. Headaches and a big red dot on my forehead. Is there any improvement on this issue with the Multitec. Wear the long oval Arai now but would like a flip front.

I owned the Multitec and had the exact problem that you described so I tried the new Neotec and it appears Shoei has made no changes to the interior shape of the helmet. I only tried the Neotec on at the store, literally walked around the store with it on my head for about 30 minutes as I shopped for other stuff. I could still feel the same pressure as the Multitec. So if you have the long oval shaped head Arai is still your best bet. I recently bought an Arai Signet Q which I am extremely happy with. I really wanted a modular helmet but could not find one that fit my oval shaped head.

Back