• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shoei Multitec helmet

I really like my multitech. Problem is, now I'm sold on the modular rigs like this, now I have to sell all 4 of my other helmets. I'll probably go out and buy the newer version of the multitech.:heart

I really like my multitech. Problem is, now I'm sold on the modular rigs like this, now I have to sell all 4 of my other helmets. I'll probably go out and buy the newer version of the multitech.:heart

Glad to see I'm not the only helmet freak around here.:laugh

I have had 3 Shoei helmets and always liked the fit. Was looking for the modular helmet and tried the Multitec, but found it barely cleared my chin. Felt like Jay Leno. Try a few on and then check some of the magazine write ups on noise levels etc. The pull down visor in other maker helmets likely to make me change.

I was wondering if anyone who has a built in visor also wear eyeglasses ? I am wondering if there is enough room between the visor and eyeglasses. I have to start wearing glasses, seems I wasn't reading my speedo very clearly....thanks to the deputy for letting me slide on that one. I guess it helped he was riding a RTP.

Well, I tried one but had to send it back. It fit my head GREAT, but the chinbar was to close to my chin......

Roxter Rider ;

The HJC I have has the drop down dark shade and it does not interfere with my glasses .

My Multi Tech does not have a drop down shade , so I added a small strip of window tint to the face shield at the top.

I wear one for work, (dual sport motor officer) and it's a well made modular helmet. A little more $$ than others but typical Shoei quality. A pinlock system would be nice but you can go completely old school and rub/smear a little foam shave cream on the inside of the visor and buff it clear with a microfiber cloth. Works very well and has a nice manly smell for a few days!

I am pleased with the ventilation and it's one of the most quiet modulars I've worn. I wear earplugs on every ride. As far as the non removable liner, you can pour some water and mild soap in it, swish it around and rinse it out, let it dry, good as new.

BTW, helmet selection is very subjective so ultimately, you gotta try on a lot of helmets and find the one that's right for you. Although I'm sure the new Shuberth C3 is very nice, I cannot spend $700.00 on one helmet. I tried one on at my local dealership and I didn't like the fit. YMMV...

HJC just came out with the new "Symax III" but I'm done with HJC for now. My next personal helmet will be either a Shoei RF1100 or an Arai RX-Q both in either the Brilliant yellow or HiViz. I wear the Shoei modular for work because they make me. My personal choice for riding is a full face each and every time.

Shoei Multitec- Best Helmet Ever IMHO!

Hey, saw your post and have had experience with Shoei, Schuberth, Nolan, and Arai (as far as top end stuff goes). After 2 weeks with the Nolan, sold it for a loss (poorly built [cheaply built!]). Schuberth didn't fit my head (thank God$$$). Arai doesn't make a modular helmet (why?). I know why... but really.

Shoei Multitec- one of the highest quality helmets out there. When you close the Multitec, you know it's closed. I have a pin lock insert and never worry about fogging. I ride year round in Seattle. Have the Scala G4 in it too. Mine is getting close to 5 years old and will be buying another one soon. I may order overseas to get their Shearwater model (different colors). Or look at the new Neotec. I will happily pay more than $500 for a Shoei, but not many others.

There you go. Avoid Nolan! I will never understand how they got such a good rep! A friend bought one and we went back and forth about the quality of Nolan for more than a year and he finally admitted it sucked.

Visor Info

I've seen people complain that the Shuberth's visor doesn't stay open when vented if you are in direct wind. The Multitec has visor settings so that it stays open just enough and I have not had any problems with it closing due to wind. Of course, I do have a windshield but I ride with it in the down position mostly and still no problems. Good luck!

I wear the Shoei modular for work because they make me.

Our local LEAs have to wear open-face helmets. Something about a kinder-gentler presence and not intimidating the soccer-moms, and tourists, with a Darth Vader aura.. .. .
icon_rolleyes.gif
I'm guessing it's more like problems occurring at a really inopportune moment if the visor should drop unexpectedly after a stop.

I like my MultiTech... if it had more side cut-out to increase peripheral vision (like the new NeoTech is supposed to have) it would be perfect. As far a drop-down sun shades go... don't need 'em. And, the chin-bar is pretty close.. ..

Too bad the buy-in for the NeoTech is probably going to be pushing $650+.
31.gif

As far as the non removable liner, ...

Insert Fabreeze fabric-softener sheets after wearing... keeps mine fresh, and I don't have to use conditioner when I shampoo my hair anymore
icon_wink.gif

Question about the visor settings of the Multi Tech,

I bought mine slightly used from another forum member, but it did not come with an instruction/owners book.

Cleaning the face shield today I see there are three settings via a small plastic lever on the left side of the face shield.

Does one of them lock it in place to reduce wind noise ?

Seems like one of the other positions opens it slightly for some air inlet,

what is the 3rd for ??

I cannot manipulate the lever with gloves on anyway.

what is the 3rd for ??
normal shield operation, e.g. open and close via the tab
The shield has a ratchet type mechanism and will stay open at several positions.

Like you, I have found the lever difficult to use with gloves and generally find the tab for opening the visor easier and open it to the first ratchet detent for defogging.

(until I got a pinlock insert)

Multitech

My wife rides with one. Best helmet she ever wore. I can't get one to fit my anvil shaped head. Chin guard hits my mouth. If it fits, you will have a hard time finding a better helmet.

Our local LEAs have to wear open-face helmets. Something about a kinder-gentler presence and not intimidating the soccer-moms, and tourists, with a Darth Vader aura.. .. .
icon_rolleyes.gif
I'm guessing it's more like problems occurring at a really inopportune moment if the visor should drop unexpectedly after a stop.

I like my MultiTech... if it had more side cut-out to increase peripheral vision (like the new NeoTech is supposed to have) it would be perfect. As far a drop-down sun shades go... don't need 'em. And, the chin-bar is pretty close.. ..

Too bad the buy-in for the NeoTech is probably going to be pushing $650+.
31.gif

Insert Fabreeze fabric-softener sheets after wearing... keeps mine fresh, and I don't have to use conditioner when I shampoo my hair anymore
icon_wink.gif

I'm confused, The whole reason for LEO's wearing modular helmets is so when we do have to talk to anyone, we simply open the chin bar fully. When we're done yapping, flip it back down and head on down the road. Never had any complaints...:dunno

We have installed quick releases on ours so if we need to get that helmet off in a hurry, we can. We have done some emergency drills with the helmets on and they don't really present a problem. I'm talking about gun fights of course, which are on average, at a distance of 7 yards and over in about 5 seconds...

Bell

Couldn't stop meself last week, picked up a Bell Revolver for less than 100 bucks new. I'll give it a try in the spring, for 99 bucks get to see if the flip up front end works with ear plugs and glasses, and, got a Hi-Vis yellow. No Snell 2010 on this lid. CAn't have too many helmets.

New Neotec

Just purchased a new Shoei Neotec. So far so good. I have been wearing the helmet around the house to give it a little break-in. So I will be outside riding my RT. First impression, I really like it. I have never had a Shoei before. Last Helmet was an Arai Quantum II. Head fit seems good so far with no hot spots. Check pads are thick. Will need to get used to the pressure on my face until the pads settle in. I am planning to install a Sena SMH10 on the helmet but have not seen or heard anyone else's install experience with the clamp style. Any advise would be great.

JL

Check pads are thick. Will need to get used to the pressure on my face until the pads settle in.

Most Shoei products allow the cheek pads to be replaced with thicker, or thinner, ones.

Back