• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

NEW Dobeck Gen 4 Fuel Injection Tuner/Controller

mt4jim

I have a new prototype fuel injection tuner/AFR gauge mounted on a couple of my bikes and I feel the need to "share". I have the prototype mounted on a R1150GS and R1150R. New models are being developed for the "hex head" generation.

Most of you probably know of the Techlusion Fuel Injection controllers. Small "black box" tuner installed between the stock controller and the engine that permits adjustment of fuel to fix lean conditions on most BMW engnes. Has 4 "pots" that can be adjusted to control the performance of the bike.

Now they have a new model that includes an AFR gauge as well as a more sophisticated tuner. The gauge sits in view of the rider and can be used to monitor the bike's AFR at all times while riding.

There are buttons on the gauge that permit you to adjust the actual fuel allocation and the transition points of each of the three zones. Zones: Idle/low speed (green); Cruise (yellow); and Max power (red). LED's on the gauge indicate what zone you are in and when fuel is being added to the mix going to the engine. All in REAL TIME while you ride.

For example: The rider monitors his/her AFR; Notes that the bike is running too rich or too lean for conditions; Stops at the roadside; Reaches over to the gauge (engine still running) and adjusts the fuel in each of the four zones as desired; Rider rides off and sees immediately if they have achieved the desired air to fuel ratio.

I'm pretty much in love with the new Gen 4 and intend on upgrading as many of my bikes as I can. :clap But, I'm easy. I'd like to hear what others might think about the Gen 4 and it's new AFR gauge/adjuster.

The best place to get more information is at the Dobeck site:

http://www.dobeckperformance.com

or by phone at 1-877-764-3337 (1-877-SNIFFER)

If others want pictures of the installation on my bikes or, if you live within range of Great Falls, Montana and want to see/ride the two bikes. Let me know.

The information below was provided by Dobeck on another bike's forum. Gives a more complete description of what the new gauge/controller does.

OVERVIEW:

The AFR Plus or GEN 4 by Dobeck Performance brings together two technologies within one system to make it the most powerful, user-friendly tuning device on the market. AFR Plus combines an EFI controller with a wideband O2 sensor and AFR gauge to provide a user instant fuel trimming ability and feedback about their vehicle’s tuning operation.

GEN 4 is the short term used to describe the Generation 4 Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) controller and Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) Gauge Kit manufactured by Dobeck Performance. The GEN 4 was released in August of 2011. The GEN 4 is a piggy-back EFI controller because it does not replace the stock ECU, but rather monitors the signals to the injectors and makes fuel adjustments based on the mode settings. The GEN 4 has a push button interface on the gauge allowing access up to 6 different modes to allow for quick fine tuning by the end user without needing a computer.

KEY FEATURES: AFR PLUS / GEN 4 FEATURES

FULLY COMPPATIBLE WITH ALL AFTERMARKET EFI CONTROLLERS INCLUDING REPLACEMENT ECUs.
HAS CAPABILITY OF BEING YOUR ONLY FUEL MAPPING SOLUTION AS WELL
IDEAL FOR MAXIMIZING FUEL ECONOMY FOR TRIKES, SIDECARS, PULLING TRAILERS, OR FIGHTING A HEAD WIND

AFR GAUGE FEATURES:

AFR GAUGE READING FROM 10 TO 16 TO PROVIDE INSTANT AFR FEEDBACK READINGS
STANDARD 2-1/16" ROUND GAUGE
WATER RESISTANT
PUSH BUTTON INTERFACE TO ALLOW QUICK FINE TUNING AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
EASY TO SEE LED LIGHTS TO INDICATE OPERATING ZONE ON THE GAUGE
USES BOSCH WIDEBAND O2 SENSOR WITH BOSCH CHIP POWERED WIDEBAND CONTROLLER
SELF-ADJUSTING BACK LIGHTING DISPLAY FOR NIGHT VIEWING

EFI CONTROLLER FEATURES:

USES LOAD BASED TECHNOLOGY WHICH ALLOWS FOR TUNING IN EVERY GEAR
3 MAIN ZONES OF OPERATION TO TARGET DESIRED AFR
ABILITY TO ADD OR PULL FUEL WITHOUT ALTERING THE STOCK FUEL MAP
CLOSED LOOP OPERATION OFF OF WIDEBAND O2 SENSOR INPUT
PLUG N PLAY INSTALLATION - NO WIRE SPLICING
NARROWBAND GENERATION FOR STOCK O2 SIGNAL
COMPUTER REPROGRAMMABEL BY IRDA TECHNOLOGY IF NEEDED

The AFR PLUS pays for itself! SAVING YOU $$$
The information our gauge displays is all you need to get the most out of your existing fuel controller or mapping software. With a retail cost of $300 it has saved some of our customers that much money in ONLY 3500 miles.

GENERAL TERMINOLOGY EXPLANATIONS:

Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) - The most common reference term used for mixtures in internal combustion engines. It is the ratio between the mass of air and the mass of fuel in the fuel-air mix at any given moment.

Oxygen (O2) sensor - Is an electronic device that measures the proportion of oxygen (O2) in the exhaust gas.

Wideband vs Narrowband sensors - A narrowband O2 sensor is only calibrated to know whether the current AFR is rich, lean, or stoic. A wideband O2 sensor is much more sophisticated and can supply the exact AFR measurement across a wide range of possible AFR values.

Load - Is the measurement of how hard an engine is working. Coasting downhill is considered very low load. Driving uphill is considered high load.

Open loop vs Closed loop - Different operations both the stock ECU and the GEN 4 can function under independently. Open loop means NO fuel trimming is occurring based on the O2 sensor signal. Closed loop is using the O2 sensor input signal to react rapidly to the changing conditions and make fuel trims to match the desired air/fuel mixture.

Last edited:
Silly questions:
What does it do?
What does it cost?
Why does one need it?

Perhaps not so silly?

Silly questions:
What does it do?
It lets you tinker with the fuel mixture. Some people are not satisfied with the factory settings and want to adjust the mixture for more performance.
What does it cost?
It seems around $300
Why does one need it?
When one feels the need to tinker with the fuel mixture... ;)
Perhaps not so silly?
There are no silly questions

Personally I don't want to endulge in these things. I do have a Recyclizer fitted, which is a 'device' (it's just a couple of resistors) that tricks the Motronic into injecting a bit more fuel. That way, the irregular running of the boxer engine at certain speeds is gone. You can't compare the two products, because mine is just a couple of resistors (costs about $40) and can't be adjusted. But basically, the goal is the same: adjust the mixture. If you don't feel the need, it's not for you.

Back