Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K100 vs k75

Cool K75S stretch

Hey the K75 is smooth sleek an eye catcher however you might carry a second person climbing mountains and wish you had a few more cc's. It screams between 6 and 8K rpm's. I'm an over 60 K75S rider want to put risers on bike to raise and move back the bars for a planned long trip who has a company name for a proven product

Quote Originally Posted by dougsk75s View Post
    Hey the K75 is smooth sleek an eye catcher however you might carry a second person climbing mountains and wish you had a few more cc's. It screams between 6 and 8K rpm's. I'm an over 60 K75S rider want to put risers on bike to raise and move back the bars for a planned long trip who has a company name for a proven product
    you would probably get better responses by
    a) do a search within this forum for previous answers. its a common topic.
    b) start your own thread, rather than piggybacking on a barely related one.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

3 Red Bricks
    Bikerfish,

Sent PM to Doug to split his question from his response to this thread.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

K100 v K75

I'm a long time Airhead. Way back when BMW first introduced the K-bikes I looked at them. I was never tempted to buy one, as I found the one I road buzzed more than I could take. My hands went numb. Last summer I bought a low-miles K100RS for a very small sum. It had been neglected so I invested a good bit of sweat equity and I'm now very happy with the bike. It's quite smooth. In light of the frequent complaints about vibes on these bikes, I have to conclude that they vary considerably in this aspect. I've no experience with the K75 save for a single test ride on the "T" model (?) years ago, but I can save with certainty that the K100RS can be a very satisfying bike that is greatly undervalued by the market now.

JohnWC

K bikes vs new oilheads reliability

I appreciate the responses to my original post. I had thought that perhaps I would be happiest with a R1100Rt. But by chance I began reading a couple of threads dealing with both transmission and final drive problems on them. I gather they have a bad reputation in both areas. Plus they seem to be quite a complicated bike to work on, possibly due to the engine being basically the frame. That goes right along with the high cost of parts for them, making them a good, but seemingly pricey machine to own. Maybe I just haven't been looking in the K forum enough, but I always get the feeling that the flying bricks are fairly trouble free and quite reliable compared to the new r bikes. Am I wrong in this regard? They are an odd bike. People seem to either love them or hate them. And always have. Personally, I am looking for reliability first, but performance (as in comfort, quiet, room for two people,- not power) a close second. My last airhead just didn't have those last criteria, and it seemed to devour expensive parts, too. That is also something I could skip in my next bike. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Having owned a R65, R90, R60/2 and my friends experience with other airheads, my K seems to be MUCH less prone to annoying little glitches. And, at least for the 2 valve version, I've been able to do routine maintenance myself (2 valve shims in the last 80k, steering head bearings) Pretty much car like dependability. But these are old bikes now with various levels of abuse and neglect. Plenty of lemons out there.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

K75/k100-just pick one

Can't resist jumping in on this one. I put about 40K on my K75. I was looking for a K 100 when I found it. Smooth, certainly. Hot, yes a bit. Reliable, no doubt. As mine was a "T" model, I really did not like the looks, although I do like the "C" looks, and if you don't like the "S" look, something is wrong with you.

I now own an 85 K 100 RS. I've put about 10K on it. Truth be told, I don't notice much heat difference. Yes, it does buzz a little, but to me, it is certainly not an issue. No doubt the K 100 is faster. Yes, the K 75 easily cruises at 80, but does not have a whole lot left at that speed. On the other hand, the K 100 can really snap too at 70 to 85. From there, 100 mph comes very easily.I know it is not fast by today's standards, but it still can raise your pulse.

So, like many, it is a push. I think most will agree, both models are, "drop dead reliable." Additionally, they seem to run great on any type of gas. Since I put the "C" bars on my RS, handling is great at all speed and the bike is more comfortable. Think I may try to find a K75 to go with it's big sister!

Bottom line, they are two of BMW's best efforts.

PD

I'll put my pitch in here as well...I had a K75RT, first bike, bought with <17000 miles. Fuel pump went out on it within 3 weeks, replaced it and rode it for another 13000 miles before selling it to one of my buddies, who still has it. I used to go out to the garage, and just look at it, trying to figure out what I could do to it. It simply didn't need anything, it ran, and ran and ran. I took it on a couple of trip and would pass the semis on the interstate at 90 mph to get out of the buffeting quickly, then settle down to 75 mph. It always ran better after a high-speed trip.

It was an awesome bike. And it's still an awesome bike. I sold it to my buddy, and it gets ridden daily.

The bad:
    1. It started leaking oil out of the front oil pump on my buddy, so I put a new oil pump on it, after trying to rebuild the original.

2. It's frame was a little small for me and I installed kneepads on the panels of the fairing to keep from wearing out the knees on my jeans. K1100s are just a bit longer and are a better fit.

3. Buffeting. I had the European style windscreen, which was too short for me. K1100s have an adjustable windscreen and excellent weather protection.

4. Brakes. K75 Disks front and rear, but stopping power left something to be desired. Especially compared to my R1150RT, whose brakes are AWESOME! K1100 has the same brakes as the K75.

5. Ride: I used to toss the K75 around and was amazed by how well it handled. But there is no comparison with my R1150RT, which is more comfortable and I drag my boots in corners even more than the K75. I had narrow chicken strips on the K75 and no chicken strips at all on my R1150RT. The K75 never let me down on cornering, but there were a few times I had to tell myself to trust the bike on some curves and lean it more than I ever had before. It NEVER let me down. The K1100 has a longer wheel base.

The K75 is an awesome bike, especially for commuting. I've fixed up a buddy's K1100RT since then and the K1100, even when running rough, it was a real horse. After the air leaks got fixed, injectors cleaned and throttle bodies tuned, it's an AWESOME bike. Forget downshifting above 30 mph. Just twist the throttle.

The K1100 has many better qualities than the K75, and it will still get nearly as many MPG. This doesn't make the K75 bad, it just makes the K1100 better. Which is exactly as BMW planned it.

I've got a basket-case K1100RT in the garage right now that a buddy picked up and will be bringing it back to life soon. K-Bikes are fantastic bikes. R-Bikes are fantastic bikes. Just pick the one that speak to your soul.

JohnWC
    JHGilbert,

VERY informative post. A lot of information I have never read before. Quite helpful. Thank you.

John

K75S - nice bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by mieczkow View Post
    Just about everyone I meet who knows BMW bikes and is close to me in age (six decades) and has been around a while, and has been an owner of multiple BMWs including airheads has said: "Never sell your K75S".

Tom Mieczkowski
    I personally have never owned a K bike, but from everything I have read and from several K75 and K100 owners I have talked to on the road, they all seem to say in many ways, the little K75S is a better bike overall than the K100. I have always liked that model!

JJ Cerilli
    Scottsdale, AZ

Much food for thought

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I have owned a 1983 R100RT for 19 years. It is the only bike I have ever owned. As it is pushing 30 years old it has been nickel and diming me for some time but I continue to fix and ride it. I mostly commute to work on it (90 miles round trip). My biggest complaint is the heat. The RT fairing is great for cold weather but I baste in my own juices during the midwestern summer months.

I, too, have heard good things about the K75. I have been considering getting one for commuting when it is just too hot for my old RT. A guy wants to sell me his '90 RS with 19k miles. It looks pretty clean but I have not been able to inspect it or ride it (found it online). He wants $1800. If it has no major issues, does this seem like a good deal? What sort of issues should I be looking for?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cjbunltd View Post
    I have been considering getting one for commuting when it is just too hot for my old RT.
    -Chris
    I may have not put this in my other post, but the K75RT was HOT as well. Tank got hot, shins baked. That was another reason I went to the Oilhead. Just got tired of taking the heat after a couple of El Paso summers. Winter was nice though...after it warmed up.

I have a K75RT and it put a lot of heat on my legs until I added more insulation. I have never seen a K75RS, but the pictures show it to have a pretty big fairing also.

The main weak link on the K75s is the driveshaft. I lube it every rear tire change with non BMW grease.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by johncerilli View Post
    I personally have never owned a K bike, but from everything I have read and from several K75 and K100 owners I have talked to on the road, they all seem to say in many ways, the little K75S is a better bike overall than the K100. I have always liked that model! JJ Cerilli Scottsdale, AZ
    I have also heard the above. It leads me to conclude that the K75 must be reliable and a very smooth motorbike, especially compared to the K100. Since I find my K100RT that I have ridden about 71,000 miles to be powerful (although not as much as my R1100RT), reliable, and smooth, then the K75 must be one fantastic bike to be that much of a smoother ride than a K100. By the way, for some reason, I seldom ever notice heat on my K100; high boots might be the reason.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    By the way, for some reason, I seldom ever notice heat on my K100; high boots might be the reason.
    What are you doing riding around wearing hip boots?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/