• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Talk me out of buying a F650gs

CAbbey

work-aholic
Howdy. Swore off powered 2 wheel machines years ago. Too dangerous, no time to ride, and too dangerous. Did I mention too dangerous. My last bike was an R100. But every time I see one of those F650's I watch it like a stalker.

Hopefully someone who owns a F650gs must know all sorts of bad things about them and can explain to me why I should not look at them or think about buying one. Thanks in advance.

They only get 60 or so mpg. And they are so little I could only ride about 20K miles in 30 or so states on mine this summer. They are light enough to pick up by myself if I drop it in a campground, so none of the beauties in bikinis would run over to help. But other than those defects they are OK bikes.

Unfortunately they are also very good on dirt roads, where there is little traffic and little danger. On pavement they leave nothing to be desired. Why would anyone buy one?

I think there are many of us who would sing its praises both on and off road. I wish I still had mine and I'm looking for another.

Sorry, I can't find the words to help talk you out of it.

The F650GS (single) is too small to do any serious travelling. Just ask anyone? Someone should have told me it was too small about 85000 miles ago, and before I took 9 consecutive trips to D2D in Dawson City, YK (yes I'm going again in 2012). Or, if you are serious: the steering head bearings will need to be replaced-once, the waterpump/oil pump seal at 40 to 60K-maybe, and fork seals depending on how hard and where you ride.

Attachments

• P6040009.jpg
    P6040009.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 223
The only reason I'd steer you away and towards a larger machine is if you want more power for passing, a pillion rider, or top speeds. I have a 250cc bike and I love it. I have 4 buddies who several years ago rode coast to coast on 250s.

I've got my second one (should never have sold the first). I don't know why anyone would buy one of these things. I guess you really have to be into light weight, reliable, great milage, etc.

I have 6 bikes in the garage. If 5 of them had to go the F650GS would still be there! It may not be the best touring bike, it may not be the best sport bike, it may not be the best off-road bike in fact it may not be the best anything bike. But it is so good at so many things that if there were to be only one it would be the F650GS.

:buds

hard to keep clean...

i-vkzXjXt-L.jpg

Not to mention the chain eliminates the issues some of the shaft models have had with their FDs. I mean, really, who wants to maintain a chain when they can just replace a FD for a few thousand????

Not to mention the chain eliminates the issues some of the shaft models have had with their FDs. I mean, really, who wants to maintain a chain when they can just replace a FD for a few thousand????

I've always thought this is a good point. You can generally always get a chain replaced anywhere in the world. It's certainly much easier and cheaper than a final drive.

Only 60 MPG at 75+ MPH. ABS takes all of the fun out of emergency stops on sand covered pavement:rolleyes. System cases and that damn Wolfman tank bag carry too much crap. The stock Metzler Tourance tires only last 12,000 miles or so:violin.

Howdy. Swore off powered 2 wheel machines years ago. Too dangerous, no time to ride, and too dangerous. Did I mention too dangerous. My last bike was an R100. But every time I see one of those F650's I watch it like a stalker.

Hopefully someone who owns a F650gs must know all sorts of bad things about them and can explain to me why I should not look at them or think about buying one. Thanks in advance.

Water pump failures, steering head bearings, fork seal leaks, cooling fans, 400 watt charging system, tubed tires...

Did this help talk ya outta one? :scratch :ear :lurk

I just flogged mine around the country for about 8500 miles. During the trip it got an oil change and a new front brake line. It's a 2001 with 32k miles and I put over 20k of them on in the last 3 years. It has needed steering head bearings and fork seals. Nothing else but oil, filters and gas (and at anywhere between 55 and 75 mpg, not much of that)

Is it as comfy as a newer R or K bike on a 600 mile day? Probably not. Does it make me smile every time I ride it? Yep.

Plenty of owner support at the Chain Gang.

Back