• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How you use your GS

How do you use your GS and what about tires?

• Street tires only, love new pavement and hate rough roads

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Dual sport tires but avoid dirt roads when possible

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Dual sport tires and ride wherever the GPS says. Seeks out forest and dirt roads.

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • Switch between dual sport tires and knobbies. Some trail Ridingods

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Knobbies all the time, let's get dirty!

Votes: 8 9.9%

• Total voters
I like to ride off road... but lately i've been looking to step up the challenge a little.

755780179_gGpRe-L.jpg

No awesome backgrounds today...but instead of a boring 40 mile trip in the Dodge to pick up some electrical supplies, I turned it into a 100 mile early morning all Smiles errand and got to ride with Helen as she was headed to work.

Where's the red flag? :lol2

Carrying pipe is OK, but I prefer smaller loads....

1140824964_XGmvT-O.jpg

I've run the Tourance mostly for years and a few sets of TKC in betwee. Last fall I spooned on some Heidenau's and probably stick with them for a while. So far good tread wear, good all around traction. :clap

Kevin

No compromises for my GS as I rely on it to take me further off the beaten path than normal dual sport tires will allow.
Knobbies all the time for me, never know when I'll really need the traction to get to the best remote camp spot, or want to ride real fast through the desert would be just a couple of the many reasons I run knobs. Cheap, easily found at any bike dealer while traveling (18" rear mind you) and the ability to run low wire pressure for maximum traction would be a couple other reasons I run knobs.
Lower gearing and the ability to have 9.5 gallons of fuel on board doesn't hurt me either to get way out there and LOST. :)

DV-DAze-2012-314-Version-2-XL.jpg

DV-DAze-2012-038-Version-2-XL.jpg

DV-DAze-2012-436-XL.jpg

Then again, I have fun with knobbies no matter the terrain on my GS. :D

2011-09-08-at-12-12-24-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that looks really steep and muddy. What happened when you all went through that puddle at rhe end of the vid?

Ian

Not much happened at that puddle, but a KTM did manage to drown itself earlier in the day.

971282149_P7qKZ-L.jpg

The trail network was a bit muddy:

971289170_VPFaa-L.jpg

971285667_HRTQP-L.jpg

Back