Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dealer Service is making me mad

Here's the deal with discussing a dealer problem:

There is too much subjectivity when you listen to the customer. Waiting for your bike for weeks on end will taint your attitude. Especially if you were promised the return of the bike at a particular time.

If there are more problems once they "open it up", more room for argument....From both sides.

If the dealer didn't say that there could be delays based upon potential additional wear, shame on them. They are supposed to know what could be screwed up in there. If they have cop bikes which are their "bread and butter" and put that service ahead of our bikes, shame on them.

If there was some lack of communication in the "firm dates of delivery" arena, then that should be discussed at the immediate time that the customer starts to feel ripped. The customer, unfortunately, has to initiate this interaction.

If the dealer has promised dates and the customer goes to pick up the bike and finds a pile of parts and excuses, that's where you need a pickup truck and a back-up dealer.

Like Swider, I'm forced to deal in deadlines every damned day of my business life. When I'm the client, I usually have to deal with slovenly business tactics, missed deadlines and additional charges. That's *after* continual figuritive oral sex and flowers. It is a true piss-off.

How about picking up your bike and suggesting that the payment for the service will be made as soon as that new order of checks comes in? Or right after you pay for your kid's college?

As for the regional crap.....? It's just that. I'm afraid things are the same all over. If you are an AH, you're an AH everywhere. If you have bad business practices, it's a Federal law that wherever you hang your shingle, you'll have steaming customers.

for future reference, when I lived in Charlotte I was always happy with the local dealer in Matthews. It has changed hands in the last year or so (anybody know what Carl and Janice are up to?) but if the same tech staff is still around they always took good care of me.

as for the "southern thing"... I don't know the gang at Carolina BMW, but I do know that a southerner might say "hey, buddy, no problem... that's a one-week job, we'll get you in and out as quick as we can" where a damn yankee might give you "Whaddayou, freakin' nuts? that's a week job, maybe two! We got bikes lined up out the door, it'll be 3, maybe 4 weeks and that's IF we can line up the parts... jeez, guy". Doesn't mean either one has bad intentions or is being dishonest, and they'd probably get the bike back to you at the same time. Just different styles.

(okay, go ahead and let me have it)

#92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

Long service repair

Ok - I waited for a bit, bit my tongue, and couldn't stand it any more.
    Question: if you took your 540M in for service, would you be standing at the door 4 weeks later and each week been presented with a new problem?
    Would you have to bring in special coffee and bagels just to bribe the doorperson to complete the service interview?
    Common - this is BMW, not some overnight flash. This is what the big money goes for. Get real - like one of the folks said - they ship parts all over the world - and this bike is not a brand new never before seen model.
    No "smilies" needed - this is a business - expect to be treated like a customer or pick your bike out of the back pasture and take it to a shop that finishes what they start.
    IMHO.

I can relate to you on this one. My bike sat in the shop for four weeks this spring awaiting parts for my 86 R80RT (Rear wheel bearings, clutch plate, clutch shaft). But contrary to your problem my tech at Motor Sports World in Ottawa, Ontario anticipated what parts would or probably be needed to do the job and ordered them from BMW Canada. Like he said if my bike does not need the parts then someone else will. As my parts were back ordered from Germany BMW Canada was able to give my dealership a date of arrival and to my amazement the parts did arrive on time. As this is prime motorcycling season in the Great White North I was impressed that they repaired my bike as soon as possible.

A seasoned tech should be able to assess the job at hand and should order parts before hand thus avoiding delays for the customer.

As for the parts needed be proactive and ask the dealership if you can assist them in finding the parts. Get the part numbers and happy searching on the internet.

Good luck and once on the road with your mile eater happy riding.

Jean Chiasson

Update

I'm in to week 7 & the bike is not done yet. We are now waiting on a shim. Hopefully this week it will be finished, I'll keep you posted. They have been keeping me informed as to what they need & where & how they are getting the parts.

Big Blue

Re: Update

Originally posted by Big Blue
    I'm in to week 7 & the bike is not done yet.

Big Blue

That is just obscene!

Gar

I picked up the bike yesterday. It was finished on 02 July 03 but I was on vacation & couldn't pick it up. Here is the final result.
    Cost $1885.78
    Days out of service 55
    Overall - A frustrating experience but, I think they gave me a nice break on the labor costs, he also gave me a %10 break on parts. It seems to be shifting well & there is a 12 month warranty on the work. I think George Ratterman, the service tech did a fine job. I think probably the repair order was not managed well(not Georges fault). Once I told them how frustrated I was they were very good at communication & keeping me informed. They promised a discount for the frustration & delivered on that. I'm glad to have her back & would probably use them again. I learned a lot from the experience & they probably did too.
    Attached is a copy of the repair order in PDF formatt. I'm interested in anyone elses opinion of the total cost of the repair.
    Again, this is my first experience with dealer service. It was much different then the GREAT service I received at Bob's Motorcycle World on 19th & Western in Chicago. If any of you know Bob tell him I miss him!
    ON THE ROAD AGAIN!
    P.S. Sorry, couldn't attach the PDF & even if I zipped it it was to large. I'll e-mail it to anyone on request

TC
    55 days in the shop is way too long.........but what can you do ???This is the Busy time of year .......not enough BMW shops around , they are to far and few between ......need more dealers ?

It was mighty nice of them to give you a loaner ,
    not many shops would do that

K-Transplant

Two months and $1,900 for a spline lube.

Seems okay to me.

Sure. I'd say thanks for the loaner. But(t), on the other hand, I guess you probably helped pay for a good part of it.

And 10% off on the parts. YeeHaw!!

What really counts, though, is the fact that you have the bike back and can ride her now. Water under the bridge, and all that.

However, I'd be curious to see what they would quote if you went in ands asked something along this line:

"I know my sp

line need

On the Road
    As an owner of a BMW car (2002 525i) AND bike ( 1993 k1100rs) I am not surprised at the service response , or lack thereof. I love my BMW's but service and attention to the customer needs have always been lacking at the dealerships I have used. When I know I have to go to the dealer for something I always feel as if I am headed to the dentist ( no offense to any dentist in the crowd).

On the other hand, I also own a Lexus LX470 SUV and have never had a dealer service problem....Lexus seems to have the customer thing down pat....

Gary99
    As I am sure you are aware, you did get very poor service. You wouldn't put up with this from your car dealer. Nothing takes 55 days to repair. Summer riding season doesn't sneak up on dealers any more than it does you or I. They know they will be busier, and will have more maint. and failures because people are riding more. They should do what all other businesses do, gear up for the busy season. This means stocking up on parts, and laying on extra help, just common sense. My experience so far has been that, unfortunately, BMW dealers rely heavily on the fact that there just aren't very many of them, and you have no choice but to put up with whatever they want to provide. My experience with parts depts in particular has been very negative. I love my bike, but if I change brands, it will be because of the dealers.

WILHELMGGW

Lightbulb Dealer Poll

Maybe this is an idea for our board moderators. I don't really know what's the most effective way to do it, without creating a whole bunch of long text files for everyone who wants some help to have to wade through; and maybe it's already been done, but I just haven't found it yet.

It strikes me that dealerships probably run the full gamut -- from very good to very bad, from reliable to not so. And it occurs to me that some of us, faced with needing a job we knew might be more than routine maintenance, might drive even a couple hundred miles and stay a night in a motel, just to get it done right and in a timely fashion.

Idea: So why not create a dealer poll somewhere/somehow, where members could contribute evaluations of dealers we've used and go to find ones we might want to try, if our nearest one is the pits?

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.