• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dealer Service is making me mad

I picked up the bike yesterday. It was finished on 02 July 03 but I was on vacation & couldn't pick it up. Here is the final result.
Cost $1885.78
Days out of service 55
Overall - A frustrating experience but, I think they gave me a nice break on the labor costs, he also gave me a %10 break on parts. It seems to be shifting well & there is a 12 month warranty on the work. I think George Ratterman, the service tech did a fine job. I think probably the repair order was not managed well(not Georges fault). Once I told them how frustrated I was they were very good at communication & keeping me informed. They promised a discount for the frustration & delivered on that. I'm glad to have her back & would probably use them again. I learned a lot from the experience & they probably did too.
Attached is a copy of the repair order in PDF formatt. I'm interested in anyone elses opinion of the total cost of the repair.
Again, this is my first experience with dealer service. It was much different then the GREAT service I received at Bob's Motorcycle World on 19th & Western in Chicago. If any of you know Bob tell him I miss him!
ON THE ROAD AGAIN!
P.S. Sorry, couldn't attach the PDF & even if I zipped it it was to large. I'll e-mail it to anyone on request

55 days in the shop is way too long.........but what can you do ???This is the Busy time of year .......not enough BMW shops around , they are to far and few between ......need more dealers ?

It was mighty nice of them to give you a loaner ,
not many shops would do that

K-Transplant

Two months and $1,900 for a spline lube.

Seems okay to me.

Sure. I'd say thanks for the loaner. But(t), on the other hand, I guess you probably helped pay for a good part of it.

And 10% off on the parts. YeeHaw!!

What really counts, though, is the fact that you have the bike back and can ride her now. Water under the bridge, and all that.

However, I'd be curious to see what they would quote if you went in ands asked something along this line:

"I know my sp

line need

As an owner of a BMW car (2002 525i) AND bike ( 1993 k1100rs) I am not surprised at the service response , or lack thereof. I love my BMW's but service and attention to the customer needs have always been lacking at the dealerships I have used. When I know I have to go to the dealer for something I always feel as if I am headed to the dentist ( no offense to any dentist in the crowd).

On the other hand, I also own a Lexus LX470 SUV and have never had a dealer service problem....Lexus seems to have the customer thing down pat....

As I am sure you are aware, you did get very poor service. You wouldn't put up with this from your car dealer. Nothing takes 55 days to repair. Summer riding season doesn't sneak up on dealers any more than it does you or I. They know they will be busier, and will have more maint. and failures because people are riding more. They should do what all other businesses do, gear up for the busy season. This means stocking up on parts, and laying on extra help, just common sense. My experience so far has been that, unfortunately, BMW dealers rely heavily on the fact that there just aren't very many of them, and you have no choice but to put up with whatever they want to provide. My experience with parts depts in particular has been very negative. I love my bike, but if I change brands, it will be because of the dealers.

Dealer Poll

Maybe this is an idea for our board moderators. I don't really know what's the most effective way to do it, without creating a whole bunch of long text files for everyone who wants some help to have to wade through; and maybe it's already been done, but I just haven't found it yet.

It strikes me that dealerships probably run the full gamut -- from very good to very bad, from reliable to not so. And it occurs to me that some of us, faced with needing a job we knew might be more than routine maintenance, might drive even a couple hundred miles and stay a night in a motel, just to get it done right and in a timely fashion.

Idea: So why not create a dealer poll somewhere/somehow, where members could contribute evaluations of dealers we've used and go to find ones we might want to try, if our nearest one is the pits?

Back