• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Filter R80RT '86

I've been changing the oil and filter on my R80RT for a number of years but there seems to be a change in the newest oil filter. The bike calls for the hinged filter - no problem. The filter can go in either end first. This time, however, the new filter has the normal black rubber on one end, but the other end is just the aluminum end with hole -- no black rubber like the past filters. The one I am taking out as all the previous ones have the black rubber of both ends of the filter.

Has there been a change in filters? The part number is the same on the old and new filters.

I wouldn't think there's been a change if you got the same part number for the same bike. Maybe it's just a QA problem and the new one just happened to be missing the o-ring. I'd ask questions from where I got it to be sure I get the right part.

I'm a little confused in that he said that the part numbers are the same on the old and new filters. If the old filter was a non-cooler filter, what is the new filter? Not to say that the parts people didn't make a mistake somewhere.

The non-cooler filter should be about 119mm long (when the two halves are stacked together), part number 11 42 1 337 570; while the cooler filter should be about 134mm long, part number 11 42 1 337 575.

Oil Filter - R80RT -- it's fixed!

Thanks for all the help and good suggestions. They did give me the oil cooler type -- the correct part in in the mail. All is well.

Back