• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS for my beemer

tac

I own a 1999 K1200RS and an Apple G4 dual processor(Mac) and would like to purchase a GPS unit--preferrable a Garmin Street Pilot but it is my understanding that the Garmin is not compatible with the Mac--is this correct and if so what else can anyone recommend? Thanks for the info.

The Mac & Garmin

I have an iMac (dedicated Mac user since the start!) and a GPS 3 Plus.

I think Garmin DOES make software for the Mac but in all honesty, I've never had a concern for it.

The GPS 3 is so loaded with roads I don't even need to load anything else. I use the Street Atlas software from DeLorme to map out which route to take along with paper maps and then use the GPS to make sure I'm on course when I'm on the road.

I never use the GPS by itself but as a suppliment to paper maps....batteries never die on paper maps.

Garmin and Mac -- NOT!!!

Garmin DOES NOT make anything which is compatible with the Mac. In fact, if you call them and ask about it, they get all indignant and blow you off.

Some have had success using Virtual PC and the serial interface; however, if you use one of the Garmin units with the USB programmer, I have not heard of anyone who has been successful getting Mapsource to work with VPC to load the USB programmer.

There are some software outfits that do make Garmin/Mac software, but it won't help you load maps onto the unit.

I'm a Mac user too and I have never run across any Garmin software that is designed for the Mac. I did run across another thread that mentions running the Windows version on Virtual PC as a solution.

Thanks, Ben There. taclexhttp://forums.bmwmoa.org/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=564#

Back