• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Helmet Possibly

podsobinski

New to me K1200LT is now in my garage and out with the GSA, I picked comfort over adventure. But now I am thinking of new helmets. More like 3/4 type since the LT offers such good wind protection. . . any thoughts?

New to me K1200LT is now in my garage and out with the GSA, I picked comfort over adventure. But now I am thinking of new helmets. More like 3/4 type since the LT offers such good wind protection. . . any thoughts?

According to the ancient Hurt Report, about 40% of hits to the head are to the jaw. A full face might be a safer bet.

My noisiest helmet is my Schubert flip, followed by my quieter Shoei RF1000. My helmet of choice since '07 has been my Scorpion 1000 EXO. It is quieter than the Shoei (at least on my head) and like the Schubert, has the drop down sun visor which is a big plus.

I was lucky enough with the Shoei and the Scorpion to take them for test rides. If you can do that, you will have a better idea of what is a good fit and also has the least noise for you.

There are a lot of choices on the shelves. Good luck. :thumb

Congrats on the new-to-you LT. Definately a very comfortable ride, especially if you apply some of the after market farkles.
Even with "better" wind protection, there's still wind and its associated noise. I still use a full flip-up Multitech from Shoei. It was touted as one of the most quiet helmets 4 years ago. Quiet is a very relative term. I still use ear protection with either plugs or EarFuze custom fit earbuds, but being able to raise or lower the wind shield helps you find the best air flow to reduce the noise.
I've been reading the helmet threads with interest now that the helmet is reaching the 5 year mark. I like the idea of having the latest materials for protection and noise.

All the best,
Jer

Just opposite:)

I came off KLT1200 to GSA1200 and find the GSA more comfy for my legs alone! I did a 100,000 on the KLT and it was a FINE bike, little issues. Some improvements for the KLT are; VStream windscreen, QUITE a bit better than the stock one, and JPegs, Russel seat are the big ones I did that improved the KLT experience. A LOT better gas mileage than the GSA, as we frequently got up to 50mpg's with our KLT1200. 45-50mpg is the mileage we almost always got, even towing a trailer:). Randy:thumb

I always recommend a full face helmet. I have a Shoei R1000 and the Multitec. The Multitec is getting more use these days.

I have both the current and previous versions of the Schuberth. I find them both to be quieter than my Arai helmets.

Thanks for the imput

Hey, thanks all for the good advice. I will pick up the LT today and with your advice I have been looking on line for some of the stuff you mentioned. Looks like the Shoei helmet is a must to replace my 6 year old Nolans, arm rest for the bride probably the Eagle from Muddy Don, highway pegs also, I did have them on the GSA and just gave that little bit of stretching out needed. Also thinking about a small gas tank bag that fits the overall style of the LT so any ideas would be helpful. :wave

If you want a non full face helmet, check out Nexx USA. I know nothing about their helmet, but they are the coolest looking helmet on the planet. If I was in the market,this would be the first place I would look.

My .02 worth is based on a very recent and painful experience. I had a truck pulling a trailer left turn in front of me on my RT. I almost got stopped and would have had only the broken hand I got except I had the visor open on my full face Nolan and hit the top edge of the windshield right on the bridge of my nose. Many stitches. Once I am back on a bike (next spring) I will most assuredly wear not only a full face helmet but keep the visor down.

According to the ancient Hurt Report, about 40% of hits to the head are to the jaw.
Ditto, that.

Check out this diagram from Dean's superb website (LINK):

helmet-impact.jpg

The diagram shows the impact areas on helmets involved in motorcycle wrecks. It came from a German study. Notice that 35% of wrecks impact the chin area. No other area of the head comes close to getting the amount of impacts.

Also, I know from my work involving vehicle accidents, that the most common head injuries to motorcyclists involve the face. Shattered jaws, no teeth, facial reconstruction surgery, etc... Not pretty. I'd go full face.

Just my $0.02. :)

Interesting. I just picked up an 07 LT for the wife, and I and have an 08 GSA for everything else.

I too am trying to decide on a new helmet, actually the wife and I are both looking.

I've been wearing a Multitec for the last several years and really like it. Have been trying on the new Schuberth C3 which may feel a little better; I haven't decided yet. I do like the flip down sun visor on the C3 and I've heard that its quiter than the Multitec.

I'm certain that my choice will be between the Multitec and the C3. I think that my wife is leaning toward the Multitec.

Also trying to decide on a wireless headset. Leaning toward the J&M Bluetooth or the Cardo Scala Rider G4. If I decide on the C3 it'll definately be the SRC for the C3 and the G4 for the wife's Multitec. If we both decide on the Multitecs...? Opinions are much appreciated.

It doesn't matter if your riding a K1200LT or a Honda 50, if you go down, you
want all the protection you can get.

Small world

Who would have thought another person would go from a GSA to an LT. At 62 it is time for comfort, I will do my exploring and dirt riding on my DR650 with my retired guys and leave the wifes at home. Take the LT on trips with the bride. Now I have decided to keep the Nolan 102 modulars but need a adapter to go from the AutoCom speakers and mic already in my Nolan's to the LT's communication plug. Any ideas?

2006 K1200LT
2007 DR650

Back