• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100GSPD down in the Yukon

Changing tires with almost no clothes on. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when Jerry dates the girl who is always naked.

Did you hit something? That's not a stressed portion of the gearbox or anything is it? Did the swingarm extend far enough to allow the shaft to hit it?

davesnothere said:
What do you think caused it?
When you pulled back the rubber boot, were the screws loose that are supposed to secure the driveshaft to the transmission output flange? Does the u-joint have tremendous play in it? It looks to me like somehow the u-joint hit the flange where the boot mounts.

Then again, if a Honda dealer tried to PRY against the boot-flange in order to remove the output flange, he might have broken it for you.

Thanks for the feed back so far.
My friend Hubert isTAKING THIS TRIP . He has been on the road since Feb 16th.
Please take a look at the site and see the outstanding achievement he has accomplish this past month. I have been keeping his e-mail as a web site so that others can view in on this trip. By the way he plans on riding the world for the next ten years!

Now back to the problem. IÔÇÖm sure that Yukon Honda did not make this mess (maybe). Hubert said that he heard a bad grounding sound about 100 miles north of Whitehorse (sounds like it could be the drive shaft). He happens to be a fairly capable mechanic and IÔÇÖm sure that his post would have include information about the drive shaft being loose or broken if that where the case. I do have to admit that it is a strange brake. I know that his drive shaft was relatively new and that he has a replacement with him. It does looks like something hit it hard!
IÔÇÖll have to ask him more questions about the drive shaft condition. IÔÇÖm just trying to fish to see if anyone had seen this type of condition. I know what its like to brake down up there and IÔÇÖm trying to feed him any info I can to help him along.

Hello,

That is one great site. Deserving of such a great adventure!

It will be a pleasure going back to it from time to time to check up on his travels.

Jean

And I thought it was a bit cold this morning when I rode to work at 40F...least I don't need studded tires :)

Help

Hello everybody
i am in Whitehorse Yukon Canada
the back cover of my gearbox need to be replaced but is not in stock in canada or USA at BMW.
if any of you have access to that part, that would be just great for me...
they are opening the gearbox today but we already know the this part will be needed
let me know... you can send me an email or call me at
867 456 7776
thanks for all your support

Hubert
SEE THIS PIC

Howdy Hubert,I feel your pain.....
My '92 GS launched it's transmission on my way to Daytona last spring. About 100 miles south of Talahassee Florida, on some deserted road an hour before nightfall. At least it was a lot warmer than somewhere in the Yukon.. :p
Upon removing the "boot" between the trans and swing arm,I too found very little "meat" left on the transmission rear housing. Most likely from when the previous owner lost a drive shaft. You can still ride the bike without this protective boot installed. Just stay out of the mud!!!! As long as it's not leaking any trans fluid,you should be good to go. Only the dust and dirt will eventually cause premature driveshaft u-joint failure.

Below are a few numbers for a couple of places that might have a used part for your repair. Goodluck,and if all fails, like I said earlier,the bike can still be ridden without the "rubber boot" installed.

Gaylan Perry in Indiana has "ton's" of "older styled airhead bike" new and used BM' parts. Perry's Beemer Exchange call....1-765-564-6338

Next try calling John at "Bob's Chicago BMW" 1-312-738-4269 again he has lot's of used and new "older styled airhead BM' parts"..

The trans rear cover is kinda hard to find,so running the bike minus the "boot" to finish your trip IMHO shouldn't deter your adventure.

Goodluck and have a safe trip!!

Hi Rich,
Hubert has found a trans in Switzerland and it is on its way. Thanks for your reply. If you don't mind I will move your message to the Guestbook at the trip site. That way if some new problem should come up the information you have here will be easy for Hubert to find.

Thanks again,
Dave
Davesnothere@mindspring.com
Alaska.derrickandlove.net

Back