• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter gloves for women

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
After years of riding with me, my wife has decided it's time to get her own bike :dance. She's passes the BRC and now has her own bike. Although not a Beemer (yet), she loves it.

We've been hunting for some winter riding gloves or mittens (if there are such a thing) that'll fit her small hands.

Using the search function for this specific forum, I found a few suggestions:
Lee Park Deer Tour PCI gloves
BMW Winter Gloves w/Goretex
Rev'it H20 Gloves

I'd say she'd wear a small in womens specific gloves.

If any of you ladies would have any other suggestions, we'd surely appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,
C

In my opinion, small gloves shouldn't be a problem. I have long fingers and I've been having trouble finding just the right pair.

Lee Parks are good however, I feel they run small. You may want to try them.

I have a pair of BMW Gortex-lined gloves and they are well made and do not feel bulky yet are still warm.

I have no experience with the Revits.

Hope that helps!

Well- not same sex but have used all. The BMW is the warmest for me. RevIts are well made as are the Lee Parks which are a simpler glove.If you ride in extreme cold she will want electric gloves- the Gerbings G3 is the preference of many. Fitting the bike with Barkbusters or similar to deflect wind away from fingers extends the lower temp range of any glove about 10 degrees, even on an RT or other bike with heated grips. Looking at fitting a set to my female companion's R1100S for winter use.

On my RT with heated grips and Barkbusters, I don't worry about winter gloves until the temps get to 45 or less then I put a pair on the bike just in case. I don't much care for electrics but use them when temps get into the 20s. I always want the thinnest glove consistent with protection for any temp and find I can use my Steve's or various others I have down to 45 or less with the setup I've got- with most riding at "highway" or better speed. For humid summer weather I go to BMW Air or to pair of very thin made in Pakistan cheapies that have a lot of mesh on the back- around here (NC coast) hands sweat a lot otherwise in summer.

As noted, the good stuff is available in small sizes for women- shouldn't be an issue but it is always advisable to try gloves whenever possible- some styles or makers cut tight. For example, race gloves typically fit very tight due to narrow fingers so the theoretical size for someone may be uncomfortable. And there is always the issue of seam placement, etc though breakin makes most gloves OK.

Years ago I used to use a "3 finger" leather snowmobile type glove with long vinyl cuffs for winter riding in snow country- not quite a full mitten but close. They are warmer than any 5 finger glove but have a cost in dexterity. Not sure if anyone makes such any more I certainly don't see them in bike shops.

I have small hands and the best fit I've ever found are BMW gloves. They are comfortable and warm. Of course if she doesn't have heated grips, electric gloves are great.

Hippo Handz work

If she puts some hippo handz or even uses a set of ATV handlegrip/bar mitts, she could simply wear her summer gloves. No bulky glove feeling and with heated grips to warm up inside the hippo handz idea, things are so cozy that one only needs to put on the heated grip heaters every once in a while!

Using the search function for this specific forum, I found a few suggestions:
Lee Park Deer Tour PCI gloves
BMW Winter Gloves w/Goretex
Rev'it H20 Gloves

C

I have the Rev'ts H20's and the Lee Parks PCI w/gauntlet.

The Lee Parks are nice and comfy, but for me, they're good down to about 45F. More than 30-40 minutes in a steady rain and your gloves will be soaked. I haven't tried any waterproofing, perhaps that may help. No armor on them. The nice thing is, they are made in Oregon and they will alter the finger length for her. Lee usually has a booth at them Motorcycle shows. Not sure which ones he goes to, but if there is one in your area, you can check the vendor list. When the spouse (who has short fingers) bought his gloves, Lee measured him there at the show then mailed the gloves to him. Fit perfectly.

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/

Revits have some armor on the knuckles and they are decent in the rain. They're good down to about 35ish. below that I either wear glove liners, put the Hippo Hands on the bike or ride one that has heated grips.

Years ago I used to use a "3 finger" leather snowmobile type glove with long vinyl cuffs for winter riding in snow country- not quite a full mitten but close. They are warmer than any 5 finger glove but have a cost in dexterity. Not sure if anyone makes such any more I certainly don't see them in bike shops.

Aerostich sells them, but not in leather. We have a pair of unlined bright orange ones and a lined pair in blue.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-rain-covers.html

I have the most tiniest hands you will ever see! In fact, kids have bigger hands than me!

I can't wear thick gloves!

I wear one kind of glove year round and that is the small Steve Held. They are pretty good gloves and have never gotten a blister like I have from wearing other gloves.

I ride year round and in some pretty cold temps.

During the colder winter season, I put hippo hands on my bike:

photo-33.jpg

With the hippos, heated grips, and size small Steve Held gloves keeps my hands warm during the winter season.

Hippo Hands and similar work well, no doubt about it. But they are a bit of an acquired taste, too. Sort of a trade off between how much you like a thin glove vs. how much you're willing to put up with inability to see controls and with sticking your hands in and out of the things.
I've got a set but choose not use them, sticking with my Barkbusters and winter gloves (electrics if needed) but if it got much below 20 I might go back to the HHs

Sort of a trade off between how much you like a thin glove vs. how much you're willing to put up with inability to see controls and with sticking your hands in and out of the things.

LOL. I remember the first time I used mine (mine are the Givi 'Covers'), I had to think about where the buttons and such were. Not good. I didn't use them until I could hit everything I wanted to hit properly the first time trying. I seldom look at the controls when I ride, but for some reason, not being able to see then created some sort of brain block. :scratch

Back