Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations BMW!

JM1200GT

Congratulations BMW!

Out of the 23 non-BMW's I've owned over the years, #24 (the K1200GT) is the first bike I've had to trailer to a dealer! Grrrrrrr. I have the dreaded "EWS" on the screen. This is now in addition to the gear indicator being off, and a dead spot at 3K rpm's AFTER the airbox replacement (Out of Warrenty).
    ......at least it happened in my driveway the day before I was to leave to Middleofnowhere West VA.
    Seriously, this POS has to go.

This may be a stupid question but what is ews?

Is the dead spot at 3K rpm's when you accelerating and it feels like that bike has a lag and than catches up

'11 R1200RT '12 F800GS BlackDenis's Avatar

ews

I think you get this when the key is not recognized.

When we had this happen in Europe, we coined the the phrase " Engine Won't Start "

Craig Cleasby
    South Windsor, CT
    1996 K1100LT
    2004 R1150GS
    Yankee Beemers

JM1200GT
    Yes, EWS is when the key is not recognized and locks out the starting system. I suspect a wire open going toward the key switch assembly as there was a factory zip tie which looked to be way too tight. The wire covering looks kinked.

As for the 3K RPM dead spot, this usually happens when slowing down due to traffic and then rolling the throttle back up. I've had as much as 3 full seconds before power suddenly appears. And by sudden, I mean sometimes it almost yanks the bars out of my hands!

Rally Rat
    Had my antennae replaced to fix the EWS, had the airbox and stepper motor replaced (out of warranty) and didn't really notice any improvement. I, too, get the throttle lag, which I don't think I had prior to the new airbox. I first noticed it as I rolled back on the throttle while exiting a corner, thought it had stalled, then, pow, back it came. As you can imagine, not real fun while leaned half over. I started adding a fuel additive to help with the crappy gas the Feds are pushing on us, which has helped some, but am considering a Booster Plug, or some other snake oil to smooth things out at low rpm and to hopefully fix the daed spots.

I do love the bike though, and while that may sound stupid, as I could go out and get a Honda or Kawi that doesn't have these issues, I wont. I like my K1200S.

Good luck with your GT, sorry you missed a weekend of riding. On the bright side, it died in your driveway, how lucky is that?

Blocking the slow lane
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt03 View Post
    When we had this happen in Europe, we coined the the phrase " Engine Won't Start "
    "Everyone Will get Stranded"
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75
    BMWMOA Ambassador

JM1200GT
    In the shop AGAIN since starting this thread! This time it appears to be a dead coil causing a terrible miss. Premium brand my ass! This is the biggest pile of excrement I've ever owned! I'll be trading this turd off as soon as possible for a reliable Japanese bike. Three years of ownership and so far after warrenty expiration has netted me with a dead windshield motor, new airbox, gear idicator off, replaced key ID ring, a 3,000rpm dead spot, having to rethread a broken front wheel pinch bolt, replacing cam chain tentioner and adding the jump guard, and now a stick coil. All this at 20K miles! I've had it!

Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
    "Everyone Will get Stranded"
    Best one yet!

And yes I did get that Bleep, Bleep, Bleep message.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Quote Originally Posted by JM1200GT View Post
    Out of the 23 non-BMW's I've owned over the years, #24 (the K1200GT) is the first bike I've had to trailer to a dealer! Grrrrrrr. I have the dreaded "EWS" on the screen. This is now in addition to the gear indicator being off, and a dead spot at 3K rpm's AFTER the airbox replacement (Out of Warrenty).
    ......at least it happened in my driveway the day before I was to leave to Middleofnowhere West VA.
    Seriously, this POS has to go.
    Take a look at BMW offerings. This series is now gone. Maybe the 6 would be more fun.

Good luck.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Have fun on your Yamazuki

By the way ...don't let the door get you on the way out.
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by JM1200GT View Post
    In the shop AGAIN since starting this thread! This time it appears to be a dead coil causing a terrible miss. Premium brand my ass! This is the biggest pile of excrement I've ever owned! I'll be trading this turd off as soon as possible for a reliable Japanese bike. Three years of ownership and so far after warrenty expiration has netted me with a dead windshield motor, new airbox, gear idicator off, replaced key ID ring, a 3,000rpm dead spot, having to rethread a broken front wheel pinch bolt, replacing cam chain tentioner and adding the jump guard, and now a stick coil. All this at 20K miles! I've had it!
    I have a riding friend who bought a new K12GT (I think '06). It was so bad, BMW took it back and gave him another new K12GT two years later ('07 or '08). This one also was horrible. He traded it. Of BMW models I've come across, the K12GT (unscientifically) seems to have more than its fair share of woes, but to be sure there are owners with knary a problem.

What I really want to mention is the many BMW bikes I've owned over the past ten years, I haven't had a notable issue with any of them. None. Nada. They have been as reliable as other makes owned. Don't give up entirely on the make. They deliver some fantastic, thoughtful, refined, superior bikes... and reliable too.

Look on the bright side, you had 23 bikes that did not let you down!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

JM:

I see that your state has a lemon law:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...17000030000000

Good luck.
    Rinty