Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ashville North Carolina as a retirement destination?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ashville North Carolina as a retirement destination?

Those of you in this general area, what are your thoughts about Ashville as a retirement destination as oppossed to Raleigh/Durham. What are the real estate opportunities there and how good is access to healthcare. I am looking at making a trip out that way in early November and want to know what are the hot spots. If this is the place for retirement I am thinking of trying to buy a place now while still gainfully employed and prepare for retirment in the next 5 years. Would love to hear from those of you that are already in Ashville or those of you in Raleigh as well.

Asheville is a great town and many retire there. Consider the seasons and see if it is a match. For some it is for some it isn't. Nice event life around town, medical care etc. Have to check about housing as some places are holding high values. Other places to look at are as you said. Ral/Durham. Lots of things here. Many smaller towns that are in easy reach of town should be looked at. Look around Chapel Hill and south of town as well. The other place to consider might be Southern Pines, Pinehurst area. Each of those has a very different feel. Good luck finding one that might work for you. Find one that will provide things for you today as well as 10 yrs from now.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Thanks for the info. I like Ashville but am open to areas that may not be so economically blessed. As you mentioned real estate values are holding and I would prefer to go to a market that still has the amenities I want but remains affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by moralem View Post
    Thanks for the info. I like Ashville but am open to areas that may not be so economically blessed. As you mentioned real estate values are holding and I would prefer to go to a market that still has the amenities I want but remains affordable.
    Consider Roanoke VA for a similar town that is less pressured with holding real estate values. A second thought would include Lynchburg Va.

If you want to be near the mountains, maybe Morganton or Marion NC
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

The mountains are my preference so I will check out then the others as well. This is the feedback I was looking for.

Asheville.

There are a lot of nice smaller communities around the Asheville area that are less expensive to live in. One of the nicest areas I think is the Waynesville area and a half hour ride from Asheville. Asheville has some really great hospital/Dr. services by the way, plus minutesroorm the Blue Ridge Parkway and nesteled right in the Great Smokies!! Hard to beat.
    Mo Shaffer
    Maggie valley NC,
    St. George, BM

Quote Originally Posted by moralem View Post
    go to the counties surrounding Asheville... there are plenty of reasonably-priced places to live.

we built a retirement home in Haywood county, up on a hill, with a killer view. It's actually just a few hundred feet from the Buncombe county line. My builder said if I had this view and house in Buncombe county, I couldn't afford it!

One thing to know is that North Carolina taxes your retirement income as you draw it from your IRA or whatever. And, to the NC state government, NC ends in the flatlands. The mountain folks are always complaining about the lack of services.

You may also want to look over the mountains at eastern TN. The prices and taxes are much lower there.

ian

Asheville is a nice little town with a good vibe, but it's not a mountain town. The elevation of Asheville is only 2000 ft. and there's plenty of heat and humidity for at least 3-4 months. Riding season is fall and spring which is 4-5 months total. Winters are cold and icy. I live in NC and found it hilarious reading some of the comments about how liberal Asheville is. It might be considered liberal in the bible belt but in actuality it's just another Southern town with less rednecks and some old hippies thrown in for a change.

I will let you know what I think when I get back in November. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
    Riding season is fall and spring which is 4-5 months total.
    interesting. With heated gear, i ride all year round there.

ian

I see the average winter lows for Asheville are 30, 27, and 29 for December, January, and February.

Not bad, at all.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    interesting. With heated gear, i ride all year round there.

ian
    I see that you are from Hotlanta. No wonder you can ride all year, specially during the height of summer. Sorry but I do ride full gear all the time including a full face helmet.
    Asheville summer weather is a no go for me with terrible humidity. I do this for fun.

Like Visian I also ride all year in NC. You do need to watch for ice if getting off the coastal plain during the middle of winter and some shady spots in the mountains will have ice pretty frequently, especially in the morning hours.
    But in any town or city. roads are generally fine in winter except right around storms or extended cold spells.
    As Visian notes, with electric jackets 12 mth riding is very doable. My local club (in Wilmington on the coast and a few degrees warmer than Asheville in winter) gets its biggest turnouts for rides in JAN and FEB- I think because most of our folks are in town then rather than off at rallies or doing other things. This is the exact opposite of the local Harley riders stick to shorts or jeans that mostly disappear in the winter, except for a few hard core bike commuters who use full leathers or chaps/jacket combos.

Can't agree that Asheville has a 4-5 mth riding season. I'd call it about 4-5 mths of prime weather, a couples months in early spring when cool rain is not rare so you'll want to carry rain gear on the bike, a couple of hot summer months (JULY/AUG) that can be nasty and are the worst riding months, and 2-3 months when considering ice possibilities needs to be in your thinking.

I see that you are from Hotlanta. No wonder you can ride all year, specially during the height of summer. Sorry but I do ride full gear all the time including a full face helmet.
    Asheville summer weather is a no go for me with terrible humidity. I do this for fun.
    i think our riding gear habits are probably pretty similar.

heck, i thought you were talking about not riding in the winter! maybe your problem is that you're staying in the valleys... <2k feet.

our house in WNC is at 4k feet, and I commonly am on roads (ok, a lot of forest service roads) at 5-6k feet.

there have been times in the summer when I've actually been cold up there.

ian

ps => i almost *never* ride in Atlanta... only in points north.

Asheville is a nice little town with a good vibe, but it's not a mountain town. The elevation of Asheville is only 2000 ft. and there's plenty of heat and humidity for at least 3-4 months. Riding season is fall and spring which is 4-5 months total. Winters are cold and icy. I live in NC and found it hilarious reading some of the comments about how liberal Asheville is. It might be considered liberal in the bible belt but in actuality it's just another Southern town with less rednecks and some old hippies thrown in for a change.
    There are places full of yuppies & places full of hillbillies - Ashville is too pricey for a hillbilly. Go to Maggie Valley area or parts of N. GA if you want to find even higher taxes & even less hillbillies. There are places in E.TN, S.VA,N.GA,E. & Central KY, and a few other spots that have lower taxes and real estate than Ashville.