• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tire size

AZrider
Just looked at the tire sizes for the BMW bikes 800 1000 1200 1300 1600 cc bikes and all the tires are the same front 120-70-17 rear 180-55-17. The bikes weigh from 400 to 800 lbs. I can remember in the 80's the hype about correct tires for weight and type of bike. I find it hard to believe that BMW can engineer all these different bikes and use the same size tires.
My wanting to know started when I saw my rear tire wear to edge of tread but front tire was 3/8 of an inch to edge. This is a K1300GT. The steering is a little heavy in tighter turns. If I change to a 110-70-17 front wouldn't that make the steering lighter, easier to drop into a tight turn? And wouldn't the tire match wear with rear? Help would be appreciated.

Just looked at the tire sizes for the BMW bikes 800 1000 1200 1300 1600 cc bikes and all the tires are the same front 120-70-17 rear 180-55-17. The bikes weigh from 400 to 800 lbs. I can remember in the 80's the hype about correct tires for weight and type of bike. I find it hard to believe that BMW can engineer all these different bikes and use the same size tires.
My wanting to know started when I saw my rear tire wear to edge of tread but front tire was 3/8 of an inch to edge. This is a K1300GT. The steering is a little heavy in tighter turns. If I change to a 110-70-17 front wouldn't that make the steering lighter, easier to drop into a tight turn? And wouldn't the tire match wear with rear? Help would be appreciated.

I don't know where you got the info you looked at but it is wrong. The tires sizes are not all the same. The right specs can be found at the BMW Motorrad web site for each model. As far as the specific tires questions for your model I would call a tire maker like Metzler. I have called there technical department in the past of fitment issues.

But to answer your question, I put a 110/70/17 on my RS for a track day and INDEED it did turn in more quickly. I mentioned it to one of the instructors that was an AFM racer before I went out on it and he advised that many racers will experiment with this type of change to improve or 'quicken' their steering.

Last edited:
My K1200S has a 190/50-17 rear tire, not a 180. Something else to consider is the compound and belt design, and riding style.

[]But to answer your question, I put a 110/70/17 on my RS for a track day and INDEED it did turn in more quickly. /QUOTE]

do you think the 110 is better for the canyons then the 120 and how is it on the straight. thanks for your input.

Back