• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GTL Tank Bag

afeest

I stopped in at the MOA rally in tomah WI last friday - just for a bit. I spotted a silver GTL in the lot (i think it had MO tags from Gateway) - and i noticed clips on it for a tank bag that had been taken off when it was parked.

anybody know what tank bag might fit on the GTL? If anyone knows whose bike it was - i sure would be interested. This is my first BMW - (from HD's) - and I'm beginning to see just how nice a tank bag would be for long rides...

any help appreciated

Andy

I have the full set of RKA bags and all are very good. The tank bag works great, not the biggest, but when full expanded holds more then enough

This is the part number for the BMW Version of the Tank Bag - it says it is for the GT - still worth while checking out

77458520297.jpg

GTL tank bag

Thanks.
RKA (13L) is the only brand I found suitable for GTL.

The RKA bag works very well. I had one on my 1994 RSL, when the map holder turned yellow, as all will when exposed to the sun, RKA replaced it for free. My BMW bag on my 2004 RT turned yellow and there is no way to replace the map holder. RKA gets my vote.

This is the part number for the BMW Version of the Tank Bag - it says it is for the GT - still worth while checking out

77458520297.jpg

Unfortunately, that bag will not work for the GTL. The GTL handlebars are different, they sweep back father, and the horn button will hit the bag on a full left lock, and it can possibly hit the kill switch on a full right lock. That seems to be the issues with most bags.

I'm using the Cortech 8L bag. I hear they don't make it anymore, but it was one of the few that works. I heard that the newer 12L bag that replaced it will work as well, but you'll have to mount it as low as you possibly can towards the nose of the seat.

My MacGyver'd Tank Bag

I read online that you could put a bag on a K1600, as I've seen many times on GS's. I surfed around the RevZilla website and found a modest SW-Motech bag that suited my needs. I also ordered some locking bracket assembly that I believe was meant for an R1200R (since there were no brackets for my 2014 GT).

I got a respectable unit to suit my needs; I explicitly did not want a BIG bag after severely bruising the family jewels in a head-on collision on an K12LT. :doh Be sure you "firmly secure" the rain cover to your bag by means of a tie-down of some sort. Don't ask me why I know this... :blush The bag itself holds maybe 1.5 liters; I had to drill into its bottom to attach 1/2 of the latching mechanism from the inside.

See what you think of my solution...

Tankbag-small.jpg

I then had to get some help from my motorcycle generalist friend, Khan at EUBMW in VA. He drilled 4 small holes in the gas tank lid {You may not have chosen to do such a thing, but I said let's go for it}. He then tapped into the underlying bracket and screwed in four miniature 'flathead screws,' securing them with Lock-Tight, and then re-screwed-in the spring-latched filler cap. After attaching a small zip-tie to the teensy latching-pull, I'm in business.

bracket.jpg

Where there's a will, there's a way...
Ciao, HSV-Phil

See ya in Fontana, @ The Chicken Rally, and @ The National in Lebanon.... :drink

Fitting a tank bag on a GTL is problematic. The RKA one can work but the sides of the bag hit when at full lock. Mounting it back towards me helped until I added pull back risers, then it was a no go.
I ended up using the Wunderlich cockpit bag and although it doesn't hold nearly as much, it does the job nicely for me.

Back