• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'12 R1200R - Do I need to reset ECU for new can?

mchad

I just put on an Akrapovik slip on, and I have read that people have reset the ECU so it can "learn" the new exhaust. What I don't get, is if it learns, why wouldn't it just learn as it is now, with the new can, so why would it need the reset? Also read that resetting the ECU (the discon and reconnect-battery, switch on-off-on, full throttle a few times method) throws an engine warning lamp. Is that the case? I don't like the idea of running around with a warning light, which I would ignore, and then if another condition issued a warning, I wouldn't know it. So I would probably do the reset a few days before I head in for my 600m service...

Confusing what to do.

I don't know where you've heard all this but I don't bother resetting the ECU for a new exhaust can or header as it learns what it must as you suspect. If, however, you want to reset it, do it as you said. You need to do it everytime you disconnect the battery anyway and I've never seen it throw a fault light.

I have a 2011 RT that I want to put the Akrapovic on but am hesitant to something that will only provide a change in sound as opposed to performance improvement. I read a number of old posts here that really pooh poohed the idea and I got cold feet and cancelled my order with Indysuperbikes. How did you reconcile in your mind to make the purchase? It is not the money issue for me because I just ordered from the UK a BMW system 6 helmet for about the same price and I got the same ribbing from my friends about getting a cheaper helmet here in the states. But i got it anyway Not sure why I hesitated on the muffler though. Maybe hearing your reason for getting it will help me see the value in it.

I did it pretty much for vanity. I like the sound, and I like the sze of it (noticably slimmer then the factory can). I also liked the idea of saving the 10 odd pounds, but again, the real decision was the sound and the slimming.

Thats honestly for ya...

I appreciate that honesty. Kind of why I ordered the BMW helmet. No one else will have one in my riding group and it will sport the BMW logo. I could have gotten the newly released schuberths but it isn't quite the same as having the BMW helmet that not everyone can. Who cares what others think as long as I like what I get. Indysuoerbike folks are going to think I am crazy reinstating my order after they already credited my account.......no more buyers remorse.

I appreciate that honesty. Kind of why I ordered the BMW helmet. No one else will have one in my riding group and it will sport the BMW logo. I could have gotten the newly released schuberths but it isn't quite the same as having the BMW helmet that not everyone can. Who cares what others think as long as I like what I get. Indysuoerbike folks are going to think I am crazy reinstating my order after they already credited my account.......no more buyers remorse.

Are we long lost brothers? ;-)

Back