• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 R850R wants the nicer full gauge set...

arr850arr

Oilhead Noob
Hello all - this is a discussion that has probably been had before, but I'm new, so I apologize.

I got a '97 R850R a little bit ago, and it REALLY wants the full speedo-tach-clock gauge set that came on the following models.

A couple reasons for this: Being new to this bike, a lot of the advice I'm getting relates to RPM, which I am feeling out but would like a more accurate indication. Another reason is that the stock single-speedo is the absolutely worst looking component on the bike. Cheesy plastic box with a big seam in the center, silly single speedo popping out the top. Just looks weird.

Anyway, If I bought the OEM gauge set and idiot lights from a '98, would it just bolt on and plug into this '97? I assume the R1100R gauges are identical?

Any info is welcomed.

Thanks!

I'm a bit slow, but I'd like to apologize to those who are offended by my description of the stock '97 gauges. These are my own opinions and I embrace diversity. If you love the original setup, that's OK by me, to each his/her own.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone who likes those hideous, goofy gauges. DARN! I did it again. Sorry. :whistle

You made me look... never noticed the gauges on this bike. You're right, they're homely. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. :uhoh
Enjoy the bike!

Found on the web...
850R-gauges.jpg

Last edited:
THAT would be nice to have on my R850. Hmmm.... now you have me thinking. I do have to pull the front end of mine apart this winter, got a leaky fork seal. Since they are basically the same bike, one would assume that there is a port or whatever on the older engine block for it. Problem with my bike is it has a Rifle fairing on it. Would have to get measurements for the newer dash and see if it would fit behind the fairing on mine. Another concern is that the newer dash has them buttons the extend below the bars. I would have to find a new GPS mount.

Posts 7-12 is what I have on my bike.
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=34523

This one is a newer R850.
0f649ef3.jpg

This is what mine looks like with the fairing, but this doesn't show the RAM mount. (this is a random web pic, not my bike)
7cbb5e0f.jpg

OR, I could find an R850C set up.......naw, too much work.
c6c03ae6.jpg

I'm a bit slow, but I'd like to apologize to those who are offended by my description of the stock '97 gauges. These are my own opinions and I embrace diversity. If you love the original setup, that's OK by me, to each his/her own.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone who likes those hideous, goofy gauges. DARN! I did it again. Sorry. :whistle

No offense taken. I think they are cheap and cheesy looking as well. Couple of extra bucks and it would have made it a much nicer bike.

Cheezy dash

If you have the old, stand alone tachometer that you want to get rid of, let me know because I would like to buy it. I have the "Cheeze Master" instrument panel.

Cheers, Matt

If you have the old, stand alone tachometer that you want to get rid of, let me know because I would like to buy it. I have the "Cheeze Master" instrument panel.

Cheers, Matt

Ten year old thread!
Please remember there is no commerce in the main forum area as there is no cleanup. This request from a ten year old posting is a good representation of why.
Good luck. If anyone can offer assistance in where to find what this member may need, please do it through the PM system.
TIA.
OM

I too am interested

I'm looking at 96 F850R and I would be interested in improving with cluster from an 1100. I understand that this year and series are very identical biggest difference being the power plant.

Can this be done?

I'm looking at 96 F850R and I would be interested in improving with cluster from an 1100. I understand that this year and series are very identical biggest difference being the power plant.

Can this be done?

Recently did the upgrade to a ‘95 11R, had a donor ‘99 that had the newer set. The guage harness plugs in to the first gen bike harness.
Don’t remember any issues along the way. There is a three position aluminum rocker switch bracket that goes over ignition switch for grips, flashers and I think the ABS ,if you can get the complete unit.

F229BC94-10ED-4F14-BE3B-CECCEC97A523.jpg

Ten year old thread!
Please remember there is no commerce in the main forum area as there is no cleanup. This request from a ten year old posting is a good representation of why.
Good luck. If anyone can offer assistance in where to find what this member may need, please do it through the PM system.
TIA.
OM

It's alive! It's alive!

Doug

Recently did the upgrade to a ‘95 11R, had a donor ‘99 that had the newer set. The guage harness plugs in to the first gen bike harness.
Don’t remember any issues along the way. There is a three position aluminum rocker switch bracket that goes over ignition switch for grips, flashers and I think the ABS ,if you can get the complete unit.

View attachment 90700

That's totally what I want. Converting my '96 R850R to this would be great. Can you show a front shot of the headlight bucket. Anyone know if the this is a plug and play from an R850R? Headlight and cluster mounting bracket?

3E4B7C36-A43B-4C2A-9CF8-64235EF6AD22.jpg

The 850 and 1100 are the same model design. The 1100/1150 facelift will bolt in place and has larger headlight shell as well. The biggest issue is finding a donor compared to RT,RS,and GS parts availability.

Risers for R1100R ABS

I've got a really nice '99 R1100R that I picked up not long ago. The bike is fantastic and really runs well, corners nice and is a blast to ride. My only criticism is that I can't find a way to raise the bars a little. Mine has the full instrument cluster that includes the switches for the ABS, Emergency Flashers and Heated Grips. The inside edge of the bars is covered by the cluster and prevents me from attaching risers.

I'm curious if there are any solutions for this or if there are some other handlebars that can be attached that have some adjustment in them.

Thank you,

Keith Jorgensen
Riser1.jpg

Thanks, it looks like that may work, I notice that they list the R1200, but not the R1100 or R1150. I’ll see if I can verify dimensions.

Keith

View attachment 90846

The 850 and 1100 are the same model design. The 1100/1150 facelift will bolt in place and has larger headlight shell as well. The biggest issue is finding a donor compared to RT,RS,and GS parts availability.

Hopefully the wiring plugs are the same (or it's solder time). I would would need to source an instrument cluster, mounting bracket AND a headlight bucket or do you think my existing 96 R850R bucket would fit. Planning on doing this this summer when the bike is back home for a couple of months. Also, know anyone that can reset the odometer to read the correct milage of the bike not the donor? Also looking to replace the clock with oil pressure and oil temp gauge. Anyone have any experience with that?

Alex