Thread: Side Stand Switch

RK Ryder

Side Stand Switch

I wish to switch the side stand on my '98 R1100RT.

Is it simply a matter of undoing the bolt, adding the newer stand, bolt up it back it up? Is there something that I need to do (or not do) to retain the function of the side stand shutting off the engine when it is deployed, or for that matter, allowing the bike to start once it has been raised?
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

I haven't removed/replaced an RT stand, but on the RS the stand comes off without disturbing the switch. The hard part is reattaching the springs.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'm curious as to why you are switching the side stand. I have noted on my 02 RT, it seems a little low and would not mind adding and inch or so to it. If that is the case with you, what are you switching it with? -G

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by Olsensan View Post
    I'm curious as to why you are switching the side stand. I have noted on my 02 RT, it seems a little low and would not mind adding and inch or so to it. If that is the case with you, what are you switching it with? -G
    When I first got the bike in the summer of '09, I had to always park the bike either on level ground or on a downhill slope. A slight uphill slope and the bike would be too upright to dismount without it falling over. Hence a friend shortened it for me and put a decent size footprint on it.

Since then I have changed shocks. Don't know if that is why, but now I have the opposite effect. I have to find a level but preferably a slight uphill slope, otherwise I drop a piece of 1/2" plywood block under the stand to keep the bike from leaning too far to the left.

I have looked at the stand but can not see any cracks or bends, but I have a concern about leaving the bike leaned over so far for any extended time. Hence, when I came across one for a decent price, in decent condition last week on Ebay, decided to try an uncut, original version.

Now my K leans just as much, but that is normal for a K, without the additional top heavy weight of the R. When I have seen other R1100RTs, their side stand lean is far less than mine. Now to figure out a way to get those springs back on the bike.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Now to figure out a way to get those springs back on the bike.
    As an example, Motion Pro makes some nice spring hooks.
    http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/.../spring_hooks/
    I have also used my brake shoe pliers from back in the day of drum brakes.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Your shocks were shot; the bike was sitting low because the shocks had lost their preload settings. So, the lower the bike was sitting the less it leaned over. When you cut the sidestand, you were fixing the wrong problem. Putting an original sidestand back on will fix your problem now that you replaced the shocks.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    As an example, Motion Pro makes some nice spring hooks.
    http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/.../spring_hooks/
    I have also used my brake shoe pliers from back in the day of drum brakes.
    +1 on the old drum brake pliers. I've yet to find anything else that doesn't threated to injure me!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I don't know if it will work for this spring, but one trick for putting a side stand spring back on old Honda CB750's was to insert pennies, one-by-one, between each coil in the spring - that would expand it slowly coil-by-coil - then you could hook it where you needed to. Oh ... and then don't forget to remove the pennies ....

Jerry
    NJ