• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Scrub In Ride

YB in IN

I put a brand new set of MAc 50s on my K yesterday afternoon, and got the itch to take a ride this morning. Here's the bike loaded light for a quick ride in my area.
18260056-M.jpg

I took off on IN46 towards Nashville ready to get some breakfast. I've never actually eaten breakfast in Nashville before. I looked around the town which is full of kitschy little shops full of knick-knacks, and couldn't find anyplace that really struck my fancy. I continued on down the road and found a place in Gnaw Bone (yes, that's really what the town is called) that looked good.
18260057-M.jpg

I had fried taters and onions smothered in sausage gravy along with some eggs, bisuits, and homemade apple butter. I was going to ride over to Southeast Indiana and follow the Ohio for a while, but there seemed to be a lot of traffic on the principal road I would take to get there. I decided to do the usual loop that I like to ride when I have some spare time in the afternoons.
18260235-M.jpg

That was sort of a scary place to take a picture with no shoulder. This road is probably one of my favorites anywhere. I has some tigher sections and some high speed sweepers. Also there are some nice elevation changes as you are following a ridge of hills that were left over thanks to a glacier that came through this area however long ago. I love roads through the forest. Here is one of the places along the way that a lot of you may recognize.
18260053-M.jpg

I then turned onto the next road on the loop.
18260054-M.jpg

I like this road a lot because there are couple of stretches that you can top out, which today was only about 110 fighting a headwind. There are also some really sharp hills that you can hit really hard and bottom out on. I believe Brad told me that the only time he had bottomed out his RT was on this stretch of road. There is also section that goes through the woods that is a lot like 135.

Next road is:
18260055-M.jpg

If you notice the car in the picture, I blew past him later going about 90 and didn't see him again. This road is really cool because there is a marked winding road for 11 miles. The thing though is that in the middle of the 11 miles start to head downhill and then go over a causeway across Lake Monroe. It's pretty big. I continued down the road and decided to turn off at a road I hadn't noticed before. I found this small area that had a sign about not going off road. This was a short section of GS action, but the mighty K75s was up for the challenge. I wiggled around a little and my boots were caked with mud, but I made it Here is a shot of the tracks I left on the way in.
18260241-M.jpg

18260243-M.jpg

Yeah I know, it's not that impressive, but that little section and the sandy mud after were a real wild ride. To give you and idea of local color here's a sample of things found on the beach
18260238-M.jpg

After succumbing to the call of nature. I took some pictures of the bike.
18260244-M.jpg

18260240-M.jpg

After cutting through the woods for traction to avoid dropping the bike, I headed back up to the main road and headed home. It was a good morning.

K75gs?

YB,

Maybe you should'a put some KNOBBY tires on that beast!

I'm glad those boy's with the shotguns didn't catch you back there. ("dueling banjos"in the background)

Nice loop YB! I miss those twisties on 135. Brad had no idea what kinds of roads were in that area. You have a great loop mapped out, and I would love to come ride it with you sometime this summer.

Garth, question for you: Did you get the Mac 50/50e combo, or the older 50/50? The reason I ask is that I've had both, and I swear the only difference is the way the direction of rotation arrows are pointed. (The Michelin lit says something about a different compound for higher mileage, but who knows) The weird thing is that to my layman's mind, the way your tires are mounted looks to be the proper way for the best rain dispersion. But the 50e's treads go the opposite way.
The same is true of the Michelins I run on my F650. The old T-66s had treads that looked like they would disperse water to the outside of the tire. The new replacement Anakees tread seems like it would funnel water into the center of the tire.
If you DID get a 50e front, check the arrows, I think your tires are mounted backwards. Then again, a few folks on www.F650.com have purposely mounted their Anakees backwards and report good results.

lorazepam said:
Nice loop YB! I miss those twisties on 135. Brad had no idea what kinds of roads were in that area. You have a great loop mapped out, and I would love to come ride it with you sometime this summer.

Cool, you're on. I'll see you at the Summer Solstice and we'll talk about it.

dlearl said:
Garth, question for you: Did you get the Mac 50/50e combo, or the older 50/50? The reason I ask is that I've had both, and I swear the only difference is the way the direction of rotation arrows are pointed. (The Michelin lit says something about a different compound for higher mileage, but who knows) The weird thing is that to my layman's mind, the way your tires are mounted looks to be the proper way for the best rain dispersion. But the 50e's treads go the opposite way.
The same is true of the Michelins I run on my F650. The old T-66s had treads that looked like they would disperse water to the outside of the tire. The new replacement Anakees tread seems like it would funnel water into the center of the tire.
If you DID get a 50e front, check the arrows, I think your tires are mounted backwards. Then again, a few folks on www.F650.com have purposely mounted their Anakees backwards and report good results.

Whoops. I did the same thing and looked at the thread instead of the arrow. Rookie mistake. I have the 50es. I've never run just regular 50s before so I'm not sure if they are much different or not. I' ve always just put the Es on because I've heard that they were better than the regular 50s. The tire may have been on backwards, but I didn't really notice a difference, but my last set of tires were a set of Pirellis that I really really hated so I may have a skewed feeling.

(in a drunken shout) great %^&*ing post with some really great $#@%ing pictures. way to ^%$# through the &^%$ mud on your &^%$ bike man. you are the &^%$ing king of the ^%&*ing universe. ^%$# me.
@#$%, i can't believe you took on the *&() mud on your K. %$#@. what the ^%$#. awesome @#$%.

(just trying to keep up our reputation around here.)

Great report!

boomyr said:
YB,

Maybe you should'a put some KNOBBY tires on that beast!

I'm glad those boy's with the shotguns didn't catch you back there. ("dueling banjos"in the background)

I really like the pic of the old store.... and the K by the lake.

Speaking of K75GS, there was/is a fellow named Turkey Tom who sponsored a dual-sport ride in western NC every year. One year a guy with a K75 rode it and embarrassed everyone!

Ian

Good pic for computer background

YB,

Hope you don't mind but I am placing the pic of the K75 in front of the lake as my computer background. Nice to boot up and see cool pics of Beemers from around the country/world. That pic should go on the "picture of the week" section on this website.

I went to grad school at IU back in the late 80's. Lived out at Summit Pointe on the South side of town for a while. I miss the place once in a while now that I live in southern California. We've had some of your grey skies here this winter!

How's team doing without Bobby Knight?

Nurse Rick said:
YB,

Hope you don't mind but I am placing the pic of the K75 in front of the lake as my computer background. Nice to boot up and see cool pics of Beemers from around the country/world. That pic should go on the "picture of the week" section on this website.

I went to grad school at IU back in the late 80's. Lived out at Summit Pointe on the South side of town for a while. I miss the place once in a while now that I live in southern California. We've had some of your grey skies here this winter!

How's team doing without Bobby Knight?

Thats swell. It was as you know taken out at Lake Monroe. As for the team, well things aren't looking so hot. Bracey Wright is leaving us for the NBA, and Patrick Ewing Jr. is transfering somewhere else to get more playing time. Ewing isn't such a big loss, he commits way too many fouls. Wright though is going to really be a big hit seeing how he was our leading scorer and all.

Nice to bump into you here, Garth! I first met you a couple of years ago on the YB board. I still haven't gotten together with your dad, yet.

Your K75GS caught my attention. At one time I was "notorious" for leading the dual-sport rides on my low-bar R65 (this was back before oil-heads). We should dust off my topos and go exploring this summer!

Back