• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

JB Weld Remover?

Paul_F

RK Ryder
I had a piece of my side case snap off and I used JB Weld to put it back together. It worked for a couple of weeks. Now I need to remove the JB Weld to try another glue. Other than scrapping it off, are there any chemical solutions that would remove the hardened JB Weld? :dunno

Hi Paul
In my humble opinion being a Metallurgist I would reccomend using a small hand grinder to remove all traces of the JB Weld.
It would be best to prevent the bits that could get into the engine.
If you could be more specific on what and where the area is it might help.

There is no solvent that will remove JB Weld it will have to be done otherwise.

If it is plastic you have to be careful what you use to glue it back together.

There is a guy in Oshawa ON that call himself the Plastic Surgeon, he can test the plastic and weld it back together using the right compounds.

I have seen his work, highly reccomended!

I opened my empty side case with my hands full and the lid fell and broke the snap's plastic from inside the over sized lid. As it turns out, the lid states that it is made from ABS (wish I had seen that before using the JB Weld). Once it is cleaned up, I'll use good old ABS plumbing cement on the two pieces. If that does not hold, a local plastics company has a Triumph rider/employee who says that he will grind off the existing plastic and put a new piece that is as thick as the piece inside the inner case. First however, he wants me to try the ABS glue to see if that fix works. I imagine that is cheaper than what he is proposing, even though I told him I have no problem with him trying his fix first. Unfortunately, the working space is somewhat small on part of where I had used the JB Weld. I do have a dremel tool and will use that for as much of the cleanup as possible. Thank you Darryl and Ian.

Back