Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ergonomics

bikerboy108

Unhappy Ergonomics

Am I the only one that thinks all motorcycles should have adjustabe seats, Handlebars and footpegs...Imagine buying a new car and not be able to adjust seat, steering wheel etc.?

bikerboy108
    guess I am Ha ha

Think of all the aftermarket companies that would put out of business. Barbacks, rearsets, highway pegs, custom seats, suspension lowering kits, handlebars, taller/shorter windshields. Farkeling is a sacred tradition and your idea would screw up a big part of it.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by 12886 View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks all motorcycles should have adjustabe seats, Handlebars and footpegs...Imagine buying a new car and not be able to adjust seat, steering wheel etc.?
    Most definitely not. It would make for a great rally seminar.

Bikes, to the full extent possible, should fit us and not the other way around. As an average motorcyclist do I know which position would be optimal for my wrists, neck, back etc. The answer is sadly no. Would I be interested in knowing how to make it better. Yes.

Would be an ON must if this type of article would be published.

Thanks for posting.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

I bought my '03 RT because it has the adjustable seat. I modded it with a seat jack shim kit and shims at the back to raise it even more for my 36" inseam long legs.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

R1100RS - 3 position adjustable seat and two-way (forward and rearward, as well as deflection angle) bars.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

bikerboy108
    hey here we go ...here is my point ...I've read hundreds of motorcycle test reports in all the various mags...Including the MOA I don't think I have ever read any comment about why mc companies don't as a matter of course make all 3 (seat,bars and footpegs adjustable. As a matter of fact. I don't think it has ever been mentioned as even a possiblity..Sure they might say something positive if a seat is adjustable, but nothing negative if not..... Looking at footpegs that would be the easiest and a no brainer..just make a slot or 3 separate holes in the bracket come on how freekin hard is that...I just think that for 13,000 to 20,000 dollar machines why are you forced to go buy an aftermarket dodad to make yourself comfortable.. well heres what I have to say..

Stand up wherever you are, go to the nearest window and yell as loud as you can, 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.'

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12886 View Post
    hey here we go ...here is my point ...I've read hundreds of motorcycle test reports in all the various mags...Including the MOA I don't think I have ever read any comment about why mc companies don't as a matter of course make all 3 (seat,bars and footpegs adjustable. As a matter of fact. I don't think it has ever been mentioned as even a possiblity..Sure they might say something positive if a seat is adjustable, but nothing negative if not..... Looking at footpegs that would be the easiest and a no brainer..just make a slot or 3 separate holes in the bracket come on how freekin hard is that...I just think that for 13,000 to 20,000 dollar machines why are you forced to go buy an aftermarket dodad to make yourself comfortable.. well heres what I have to say..

Stand up wherever you are, go to the nearest window and yell as loud as you can, 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.'
    Holy c**p!!! I am mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar

You hit the nail square on the head.

Last summer I briefly owned an '09 Kawasaki Concours. I found the "handlebars" too high and too close (I have REALLY long arms). Couldn't fix that.......SOLD.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS4v 2009 R1200RT
    SS1000, BBG, 50CC- NYC to SF

Admittedly, probably in the minority here, but riding bikes from the Supertanker R1200GSADV to a Ducati Superbike, with a few in between, I adjust myself to the bike, not the other way around. I'm 6'4" 195lbs, and perhaps it is the flexibility I still have, but I do believe some thoughtfulness does tend to go into the bikes by the mfg. For example, when I'm astride someone else's sportbike and they have installed bar risers, it plain feels weird when at speed. Or, lowered pegs on sportbikes, or other bikes, and even big dual-sports like the GS, then drag more easily in the curves. I definitely do not like this. Adjustable seats have their plusses, but I rarely think about it when on a bike without one. Now I do like on-the-fly, adjustable screens.

To "adjust the bike to you" you buy a different bike. Crotch rocket or touring bike.

Love my new to me R1200RT--absolute worst feature is the split seat, as it's pretty hard to not be sitting on the transition between front and rear seat. Bring back bench seats.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

The K1300GT had an adjustable seat and handlebar. I think it is a good idea, however; I would hate to be taking a corner when the handlebar adjustments came loose.

Easy

Did I miss something?

My 03 K1200RS has adjustable bars, pegs, seat, windshield, and shifter

Then other easy farkles that assist with that. I bought the adjustable bar mounts from 98-01 K bike which have a different range and thus in just a few moments I have a nice range on the mount or change the mount and use the range of it Over time I have picked up a few windshields and thus in 5 minutes or less, I can have a touring, standard or sport shield, each with its on two positions. Also, I grabbed the fairing extensions at the handlebars which were a cheap and easy purchase. They change out with two screws each.

More would be nice I guess but I find it pretty easy to change how the bike fits to me depending upon the mood I am in, the ride to be taken, 1 up or 2 up, and the weather expected.

NCS

Last edited by NCStephen; 09-29-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Some dimensions can't be easily changed, but some can. I think it's on the dealer to make sure everything fits the new buyer, even if it means swapping handlebars or sourcing different brake or shift levers. I'd love to see more new bikes with adjustable-height footpegs (Hyosung makes 'em!). Clearly, BMW makes more efforts in this area than the other manufacturers.
    The only honest answer to your question is "It depends".

bikerboy108
    I would say that k bike is the exception not the rule. And as far as adjusting me to the bike we all do that to a small extent... But again to make footpegs adjustable like a entry level Korean brand can doesn't seem like a stretch... How can you possibly make a bike saleable to both a 6'4" rider and a 5'10" rider??? When the last time you heard someone selling a car just because they couldn't reach the steering wheel...???