• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Airhead bike cover?

lmo1131

This should probably be in the "Gear" section, but since I'm looking for a new cover for my /5 I figured I'd start here.

Anyone have a line on a good cover for these old airheads? I'm talking "specifically" for an airhead, not some universal, fits pretty well, kind of rag, one that covers the seat, bars, and cylinders.

Back in the day (that phrase is wearing a little thin for me) you could find them all over.

I went round and round replacing a cover a couple of years back and finally settled on the Nelson-Rigg UV 2000.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/BikeCovers.aspx

Packs super small in it's own bag. Fits over two hard cases easily. Even without the cases, the adjustable nylon stretch attachments make it fit around the bike nice and tightly. I don't have a fairing or windshield though.

Lots of options, but for $35, I am totally sold. I usually cover the bike when it is parked for the day while I am at work. I'm into the third season and the cover still looks new.

Most of the other covers seemed to be close to (or over) the $100 mark, so I figured I'd give this $35 job a try and see. Very happy.

Barron

I have a Kuryacan (SP?) cover. The sealing tape on the seams is poorly fitted and they leak like a sieve. Do stay away from those.

I will likely replace it with the Gardian WeatherAll. Seems to be one of the biggest volume sellers and I don't recall any reports of bad news at all, quite the contrary.

The E-Z Traveler has lots of positive feedback.

Barron, apparently the NR UV-2000 comes in "sizes" (according to their website")

They recommend their "Medium" for 750-1000cc sport bikes without accessories.

It sounds like we are running pretty much the same bike; /5, no fairing, euro bars, Krauser bags.

Could you check, when you find a minute, so see if there is an ID tag on your cover?

Thanks for the input guys.

I have three;

Three covers for my 3 bikes. One WalMart, the other two are m/c shop buys. From 19$ to 100$+ and the 19$ WalMart cover is equal to the others at a real BIG savings. Anyhow, the prices range all over the board on covers and because ones cheap in dollars, does not always mean crapola in quality:). I would buy more of the Walmart covers in a heartbeat, BUT they disappear too quickly and not at all stores either!!! Go shop. Randy:thumb

My E-Z Touring cover is far superior in quality to the not so cheapo cover I bought at Cycle Gear. AND it's made in the USA if that matters.

The UV-2000 covers a bit more than the pic shows. Just ordered my 2nd one today from Motorcycle USA Superstore to fit my R1150RS (XL on my model). Packs small for travelling too.

Couple of pictures -

As you can see, fits over the city case (I just have one on for the briefcase going back and forth to work). I also have BMW bag on the tank and bar end mirrors.

Usually, I sit my helmet on the front of the seat (inside a pacsafe bag locked to the seat handle) and my aerostich roadcrafter on the back of the seat held down with a bungee and put the cover over everything.

Barron

Attachments

• IMG_9159.jpg
    IMG_9159.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 631
Dowco if you want a heavy duty high quality cover with a lifetime replacement-no questions asked cover-well they will ask you to return it & what bike your'e riding. my dust cover is 99 cents from HK,China via eBay

BMW dealers at one time sold genuine BMW covers for RS and RT but IIRC never for "plain" Airheads. They are NLA, of course.

Back