• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moto GP

i-scream-stop

iscream-stop
I just read in road racing magazine that there BMW will have some customer bike or bikes in next years MOTO GP when they go to the 1000cc engine. There have been some at testing. Maybe we can see a factory team that can compete with the other factory teams.

The bikes you're referring to have BMW engines in customer-supplied frames, such as those from Suter or FTR. Since BMW is only supplying engines, I seriously doubt there will be a factory team.

Glad they are making the attempt at MotoGP, I bet it's going to be a long process before they see any podiums.

They have had some success lately in the WSB series. By success I mean better qualifying, not so much improvement in finishes.

No matter, it should be good for marketing the product line to a younger audience, and the brand needs that badly.

Everyone will be starting new so as good as time as any to enter. Ducati has been in it for years and can't compete with the current 800cc bikes. I suspect any team that takes on BMW will have the experience needed to forward the bike. The main issue as with any racing series is money. More money means more speed. It is why the factory teams stomp the non factory bikes of the same make. Costs a lot of money for the latest and greatest. It would be nice to see BMW enter the series with an "all in" mentality. Two more factory bikes from another make would be a nice offset to the Ducati, Yamaha and Honda Factory teams. Let's face it, only those teams really have a chance to win. Being a fan of the sport I would love to see a bigger and better field. The current Moto 2 racing is the best racing on the planet. GP lags behind in excitement and competition.

Everyone will be starting new so as good as time as any to enter. Ducati has been in it for years and can't compete with the current 800cc bikes. I suspect any team that takes on BMW will have the experience needed to forward the bike. The main issue as with any racing series is money. More money means more speed. It is why the factory teams stomp the non factory bikes of the same make. Costs a lot of money for the latest and greatest. It would be nice to see BMW enter the series with an "all in" mentality. Two more factory bikes from another make would be a nice offset to the Ducati, Yamaha and Honda Factory teams. Let's face it, only those teams really have a chance to win. Being a fan of the sport I would love to see a bigger and better field. The current Moto 2 racing is the best racing on the planet. GP lags behind in excitement and competition.
+1
:thumb

As I said in my earlier post, don't expect a factory effort. Teams that use BMW engines will be referred to as Claiming Rule Teams (CRTs). That means that, immediately following the race, any factory team can purchase any CRT's engine for just 20,000 Euros, subject to some restrictions. See this link for details: Link

The net result will be that no CRT will want to invest big bucks in engine development just to see a competitor walk away with the hardware.

As I said in my earlier post, don't expect a factory effort. Teams that use BMW engines will be referred to as Claiming Rule Teams (CRTs). That means that, immediately following the race, any factory team can purchase any CRT's engine for just 20,000 Euros, subject to some restrictions. See this link for details: Link

The net result will be that no CRT will want to invest big bucks in engine development just to see a competitor walk away with the hardware.

This is the common take on the rule but lets see how it plays out in the season. Keep in mind:
- a claim has to be made at the start of the race not after.
- a claim can only be made by MSMA manufacturer not just another competitor
- CRT teams get 12 engines for the 18 race season while factory teams get 6.
- CRT teams get 3 extra gallons of fuel.

I can see a MotoGP world where there are few if any Claims are ever made. All the factories will feed CRT teams extreme setup engine parts aimed at specific tracks. Over time this will close the current gap between CRT and Factory bike times as the CRT teams take strategic advantage of their rule edge in these key areas.

It will still be nice to see BMW on the grid. The massive number of BMWs in the lot at the races just proves that there would be a following. Once they get a taste of the exposure, a few years down the road the factory can step it up and develop their own chassis. The engine program from GP can help develop engines for SBK and trickle down to AMA. There is no way that they will ever be able to compete with Honda on that level just by the sheer money invested. I would just be nice to see more manufactures in it, I would like to see Triumph and Kawasaki in there too.
I figure most of the teams who are going to enter into this class of bikes are already Moto 2 teams who have developed chassis' anyway. Here is hoping.

Just to add some confusion to the mix.

I read Dennis Noyes most recent column about the owners of MotoGP now in a way actually own the WSB series. The lines are getting closer every year between the two.
With the heavy development cost of a true GP bike and the lesser cost of the WSB , I hope the two series can remain just that, two separate series. WSB's are closer to the show room models for sure.

I remember when Kenny Roberts said after the demise of the 500 two stroke machines, that Moto GP would one day end up as street bike racing.

The WSB bikes are not far off the pace of the GP bikes already, and with more factory involvement the gap is getting closer all the time.

Going to be an interesting time !!

Bridgepoint, a private equity firm now owns both Dorna/MotoGP and Infront/WorldSBK pending final legal approvals of the purchases. To date Bridgepoint has confirmed it will work with the FIM and said it will keep the series separate and going.

I suspect the main interest Bridgepoint had in Dorna and Infront was their football promotion contracts related to various EU leagues and the next World Cup rather than racing. There has been a good deal of speculation that one or both racing series could be spun off internally or sold to other investors if there are antitrust problems.

The FIM, manufacturers and Bridgepoint will have to sit down and work out future rules. There are a number of ideas that have been floated that would keep MotoGP a prototype class and put more street into the WorldSBK bikes.

Crikey, that's what Noyes said , only your explanation is clearer.

Sounds almost as bad as the machinations of that troll Bernie Eccelstone with F-1 :banghead

Back