• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

XM Radio antenna placement

Stash

I ride an R1200GS Adventure, bought a Garmin Zumo 665 and am wondering where others place the antenna on the bike, and do you stick it there or has anyone figured out how to put it on and take it off? Thanks for the help, I'm a new guy here so I'll probably be asking more! Cheers, Gregg

On my GS I put it up on the left rear view mirror. It worked really well. The signal wasn't blocked by motorcycle parts or by me.

They say to keep it a foot away from the Zumo. I haven't tested that theory, but it's not far beyond a foot on my bike (not a GS).

I forgot who sells it but it is a bracket that you attach to the zumo mount. It has a small tray (the same size as the antenea) that the antenea sits on. It is a clean and slick little unit that keeps everything together. I'll try to find out where I got this thing.

Here is the link to see the platform to mount the zumo and the antenea. This is really nice because everything is kept in one place and the whole package easily pops off the bike to be stowed.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-satellite-radio-antenna-plate-reviews.html?rating=5stars

Just noticed that you joined the MOA site. Great move, this is a really great place to gather and share info for your bike or getting out and having some good times riding. Glad I could help.

I've got an antenna that I know works on a Zumo 550 and a 2730. PM me if anyone's interested! (Moderator, I apologize if this is an inappropriate "sales pitch" in this forum.)

Here is the response of a guy from the above link who wrote:

Whitehair
Irving, Texas
July 26, 2010
GOOD

This is an excellent mount. The one thing I caution buyers on is to check with the Radio Manufacture to see what distance you need between the radio and antenna. I mounted the mount behind the GPS mount but my XM reception is not as good. I later found out the Zumo 665 antenna should be a minimium of 3 inces from the unit, with a recommendation of 11 inches. I just need to move the mount for the antenna.

Pros: great mount
Cons: none
Recommend? YES

As stated above, he had the garmin 665. I just looked at the unit and now I realize it is not like the zumo 550. OOps.

Back