• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding GS Dirt/2 UP:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
Anybody try yet, OR been doing so long like me? My GSA1200 carries me,wife and camping gear along the dirt byways just fine. I even taught this at Redmond last year for a few dually GS/GSAer's asking for it. We had a hoot and many learned something never though about much here. Maybe you should consider training with your "favorite" partner in life on board!!! I have been approached just recently and in my past, why not start something in my life, directed at just this topic. 2UP GS/GSA'ing. There are many great tips to learn for doing just this and you can share your favorite past time offroad with your significant other, as passenger:). NO better bike has ever been made that could answer this challenge, just needing adventurous folks wanting to take the next step. Its been so great for myself, all my life riding my kids and wife too, on the back, offroad. Teach? Book forthcoming here? I don't know, just hung out here to see what 2UP folks think:). Nobody offers this training, as I know it and it may need answering soon enough:)....Randy"Polarbear"Owens:thumb:usa

Attachments

• Getting to Tucson 001.jpg
    Getting to Tucson 001.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 205
I admit I never even considered GSing 2-up as an option and didn't take you seriously when you first suggested it when I was stuck in a predicament. Scary, heck yeah! I thought for sure I'd end up on the ground. But what a hoot!

I'm sorry the weather was so hot and time was short in Bloomsburg. I would have liked to try parts of the GS track with you 2-up.

Hi Tracy:)

Yep, we had a fun time and hot was indeed a thing this year in PA.. I know you and that new GS are doing great and even learning a few new things this year on dirt. Proud to have you on the friend list:). I hope we meet again and share some trails/pavement, whatever...just ride on:). Covering Alaska, NCanada is my newest adventure in planning:), which would eliminate my Misourri next year, happy about my last state to m/c in and sad to not see friends at the rally.... Happy Trails to ya, Randy:thumb:usa PS; 2UP OFFROAD BMWGS adventures I've done in recent memory; Imogene Pass,CO.(hard on the BMW equipment and rider, this one), Ophir Pass,CO., Pikes Peak,CO.,Death ValleyUSA all over,CA., Baja,MX., Grand CanyonAZ., Big BendNP,TX., Cascades,Oregon regions, Beaches of GalsvestonTX, Outer BanksNC and Central CA., numerous others around NAmerica have my tire tracks of a BMWGS in them, all 2UP dirt:)....I know the topic pretty well:).....Best regards to all and comment about your experiences at it, with your S.O., please...IF none, better consider it, as lifes too short doing this alone:)...Randy

Yup, after hearing from you we just had to give it a try. My SO of 39 years and I did about 3 miles of relatively easy dirt roads with a few rutted places and a couple of sharp turns. She stood behind me, shifting weight as I asked, and the bike was as stable as could be. Of course, we were moving relatively slowly since this was our first attempt, but with that behind us we're ready to experience more! Thanks, Randy, for your help. We hope to do a good bit of 2up off roading in CO next summer.

Been Going Off Road for Years...

I've been GSing 2-up for years...first on a R75/6, then R100/7, K75s (all by accident of course), and then the K1200RS (thanks to Lucy the GPS that lies). Now we're on an '09 R1200GSA (best 2-up up touring bike ever) and we have yet to be off pavement in 6000 miles. I'm thinking this would be a great opportunity to learn 2-up off road skills. We're in!!!

I removed the passenger pegs from my F800GS as I never anticipate needing them and they just seemed to get in the way.

I do appreciate that some do wish to or need to carry a passenger and I can see how doing so off the highways could have its challenges. I would suggest that the passenger would need to be part of the learning process as much as the rider as it would require a concerted and coordinated effort by both to manage the bike in challenging terrain.

Indeed;

Both play a very active role, the rougher it gets and standing the pegs, for both is just the beginning. Its simply amazing what can be accomplished 2UP and I've had folks drop their jaws in amazement where we get with the GSA1200, never having seen the monster, say on top of Colorado 14000+ foot tops, or deep in WVA, ARK. forests... The motocross guys are speechless and just stare:). I've done so much M/X in my past too and love the BIG DOG challenge, even 2UP. You "know" it gets TOO tough at times and the S.O. has to walk, but generally a very short obstacle walkaround thing:), then back in the saddle, off we go again. Its been a common statement made by others riding the real DS and MX bikes, you "cannot" get there on THAT and when I show up, just stares, no words! I love it:). Ya'll keep in touch and GO explore your hearts out and type it here for all to enjoy. I'm gonna be around, so find me as you wish, as I love to share tales:). Randy'Polarbear"Owens.:dance:thumb:usa

650 Dakar

I've done a very small amount of 2UPping with my wife on my Dakar. I've only been riding for 2 years, and at 63, don't have all the muscles and coordination I used to. Having said that, I get in much more trouble when she isn't with me. :evil

Now I am considering a sidecar. It would compliment my DSing desires while allowing me to take SWMBO and all the camping gear necessary.

I hope you continue to write, and add pics, to your 2UP thread here. I'll follow it closely.

I have to say that my wife is not a huge riding fan, but a pretty good sport and will go on dirt roads with me. I doubt she would enjoy anything where we both had to stand up *at all.*

Years ago, I made the fatal error of renting a Honda Goldwing and taking her on several tours of the west and PNW, and up into Canada. *Big* mistake as now there is little my GS could do to measure up.

After much querying, I discovered that what she liked best about the Wing was that it had arm rests... basically, something to hang on to.

So, below is a shot of my dual-sport road sofa:

DSCN2212-XL.jpg

That's the 65 liter Jesse Top Box (no longer sold) and a set of Z-technic arm rests designed for the K12LT. Seat is a Russell... and she didn't want a padded back rest.

This works really well for the few times a year (decade?) she'll go riding with me.... after 10 years we are still working on getting her Darien broken in. :ha

Nice:) I smile:)

Patience is a virtue, my friend:). You are a rarity in our GS World, Visian, a proper Avatar name indeed. The wife, well they've put up with some of us sooooo many years, its been intersting for most:). My wife too, rides her own KLR650 and is good at it, BUT I have the most difficult time getting her on dirt riding her own! She seems to trust me, most of the time as a backseater, but still has her pounding my back moments:).Randy:usa.....Death Valley

Attachments

• Getting to Tucson 070.jpg
    Getting to Tucson 070.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 141
Titus canyon, Death Valley2UP;

Yep, all our camping gear and a heavy 2UP GSA, can do Titus Canyon,DVNP:). Of course Gini got off to take my pic:). Randy....We had just ridden 2UP a rather steep incline of near45 degrees at this stop:)

Attachments

• Getting to Tucson 034.jpg
    Getting to Tucson 034.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 143
Rear shot;

DV Again shooting back, partial wife helmet:)I'm gonna do a tad better, now I have a new HERO1080, video too:)Randy:thumb

Attachments

• Getting to Tucson 063.jpg
    Getting to Tucson 063.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 142
No plate?

We had just bought the new GSA1200, breaking it in on a ride to TucsonAZ to see our Daughter, Jessica at UofAZ, Senior year there. Had the bike 3+ years now, with a LOT of adventure in it already at 74000m...I am quite pleased the bike has done so much and been ridden hard too, in some cases. WE have overloaded the GSA more than once on long journeys, with no issues and this is NOT a recommendation to do so. AT your own risk, I say:). Yes, the weight worried me, but its behind me now. 150lbs., is my guilty #, over the suggested GVW for the bike, which is 1050#, I think. SO, BMW has built one tough unit in this bike. Randy:usa

Back