• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 F650GS Dakar - sYT12CL Scorpion battery life

I started out by testing how the Gerbing gear would work on my bike by buying a $10 volt meter that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I have the BMW 24 inch adapter that plugs into my accessory jack and ends with a cigarette lighter. I used a velcro strip to tie the volt meter on my handle bars where I could watch it. What I found was that I could turn the jacket and the gloves up full without dropping the voltage below 13 volts, even with the bike idling. When I added the pants liner, it was a different story. The only way I could run jacket, gloves, and pants at the same time was to cut the dual controller back a bit on both, or run at highway speed.

This was just a test. Once I realized there was a voltage issue, I started shopping for a permanently installed meter. One of the motorcycle magazines had a review of the Battery Bug and I checked the video promo on their web site. The video discussed the alarm feature that goes off if your voltage drops below 12 for more than 30 seconds (they mentioned heated motorcycle gear when discussing this feature). The Battery Bug cost considerably more than a volt meter, but I thought it would be an advantage to have a volt meter you don't need to keep watching.

I am in the habit now of turning the dual controller knobs all the way down as soon as I start to enter a town with stop lights or signs. I have found this is no problem anyway, because when you drop below highway speed, you don't need the extra heat anyway. As soon as I get back up to highway speed, I can turn the knobs back where I want them.

Do you use a charger like the Deltran Battery Plus or the BMW Maintenance Charger? I am interested in how that will work with the new AGM I have on the way. I have the BMW Maintenance Charger, and the manual says it works with wet cell, AGM and Gel Cell lead acid batteries. I am wondering how often I should charge it though. In the winter, I normally keep it on the charger all the time I am not riding the bike; I like to have a full charge on the battery when I start out with the Gerbing gear. In the spring, summer, and fall, I charge about every two weeks or the night before leaving on a trip.

I'm curious... how do you hear the alarm while riding on the battery bug?

I used the Battery Tender on my bike. I pretty much rode my bike every day. If I knew my bike was going to be sitting I would plug the tender in. Sometimes I did not plug the tender in when the bike sat for a couple days, a week, or couple weeks. I never really worried about if I plugged the charger to the bike. In the winter time, I was probably a little better about plugging the bike in versus the summer. I have a friend who makes sure they plug their bike into the charger every time they stopped riding. I guess each one does it differently on how they feel.

I liked watching the volts and sometimes I did not pay attention to it. I found it interesting.

I'm curious... how do you hear the alarm while riding on the battery bug?

It is a very high pitched alarm, so I can actually hear it. The only time it has gone off is at low speed, so it is easier to hear. The display also has icons that appear and flash at the same rate as the sound, so it is hard to miss.

I liked watching the volts and sometimes I did not pay attention to it. I found it interesting.

I like to watch the voltage too, and I like the idea of seeing what my charging system is doing, especially on a trip.

Resurrecting this old thread as it is the only thread returned when searching PC310.

I just put an Odyssey PC310 in my F650. I was sick and tired of the 13 screws which required removal to inspect and add water to the stock battery. I still need to slide some foam under the Odyssey to help raise it up to the original battery's height, but other than that I had no fitment issues.

However, I am concerned about the electrical connections. Did anyone use some kind of adapter to convert the terminals to a vertical mount? With some work, the wires will reach the horizontal mount, but then they're held in place with a tiny little screw. Is there a better way to do this?

Resurrecting this old thread as it is the only thread returned when searching PC310.

I just put an Odyssey PC310 in my F650. I was sick and tired of the 13 screws which required removal to inspect and add water to the stock battery. I still need to slide some foam under the Odyssey to help raise it up to the original battery's height, but other than that I had no fitment issues.

However, I am concerned about the electrical connections. Did anyone use some kind of adapter to convert the terminals to a vertical mount? With some work, the wires will reach the horizontal mount, but then they're held in place with a tiny little screw. Is there a better way to do this?

There is an adapter that comes with some of the Odysseys, though I have had some dealers try to sell it seperate.

Adapter-Kit-2301-0329.jpeg

There is an adapter that comes with some of the Odysseys, though I have had some dealers try to sell it seperate.

Alas, that adapter is not included with the PC310 and according to Odyssey's website is not compatible. It appears that it is time to visit the hardware store to kludge something together!

Alas, that adapter is not included with the PC310 and according to Odyssey's website is not compatible. It appears that it is time to visit the hardware store to kludge something together!

I have not used a 310 yet, had to Google a pic

256_batt_PC310_Odyssey_Motorcycle_ATV_Battery_lg.jpg

Seems the contact patch is pretty small, still think the adapters would work, since the cable eyelets work in a horizontal position. The PC525 and 680 have a slightly larger contact point.

Back