Thread: Question - 60's R bike seat swap?

Qualified Fecal Stirrer KBikeKev's Avatar

Question - 60's R bike seat swap?

Howdy, seeking info on the possibility of changing the bench style seat to a solo seat (looks like tractor seat) on an R27 or R60. I don't have one yet, but if or when I do I would like to have the solo seat on it. I was just wondering if I should look for one that already has the solo or is the change out simple, as in the parts are already there, type of thing. Thanks
    Kevin Wood
    MSG U.S. Army, Ret.
    BMWMOA 131753, ABC 129393
    99 K1200RS, 71 R60/5, 85 K100RS - SOLD

I have always liked the solo seats that were on the older BMWs.

You might get a better responce if you posted your question in the Vintage Section < 1969.
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

My R60/2 came with the narrow "Schorsch" Meier bench seat, and I eventually replaced it with a solo seat. Kurt describes them well, above.

The bench seats (both the narrow and the wide ones) use the same forward mounting point as the solo seat. There are three sets of holes in a plate that is welded to the frame tubes, and this provides for different levels of stiffness in the support for the silent block seats. It's a bit fussy to get at the nuts and bolts down there, the battery is in the way.

You can buy a new reproduction seat for a bit north of $300, I think, from several sources.

The solo seats definitely look cool, and many say that they like them better. I found the narrow bench seat to be more comfortable for longer rides, and people say that the wide seat, though considered to be ugly, is the most comfortable.

BTW, I'm moving this to the Vintage section, where it will get more views from people who are interested in ths.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Qualified Fecal Stirrer KBikeKev's Avatar
    Ok, thanks for assistance! Seems like it may be no big deal to swap the seats out. I was afraid there may be major Frame modifications that would have to be done. When I get an R bike, it would deffinately have to have the solo seat.
    Kevin Wood
    MSG U.S. Army, Ret.
    BMWMOA 131753, ABC 129393
    99 K1200RS, 71 R60/5, 85 K100RS - SOLD