• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Navigator III GPS

BlackdogGS

I own a 2010 1200GS. I've been looking for a GPS for it. My friend talked me into buying one that his friend had. This unit was made for the K1200S. After looking at it and seeing that theirs no way to mount it I'm thinking maybe I should sell it and buy the proper one, or look for the correct mount for my GS. This is a new-in-box, never used unit. I have a fair amount invested in it now. What should I do, look for a GS mount (if avalible) or sell it??

GPS001.jpg

GPS002.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken you need a cradle to fit a Garmin 27xx unit and a RAM mount setup including the ball for the cradle, a ball to mount on the handlebar, and either a long arm or medium arm depending on placement.

Virtually any GPS you get will need a cradle and an attachement setup such as RAM mounts. Your bike does not have a dashboard recess to fit a unit into.

Im beginning to think I should have spent more and got the correct unit. You might see this in the classifieds soon.

Unless I'm mistaken you need a cradle to fit a Garmin 27xx unit and a RAM mount setup including the ball for the cradle, a ball to mount on the handlebar, and either a long arm or medium arm depending on placement.
The cradle is included, I can see it on the photo. I had the same unit. Works fine, but is a bit clunky. I now have a 660.

But all is not lost. If you look at this site, you'll see a special mount for the GS. It's Dutch, if you need any help, just give me a shout. Don't know if it's the right model, but you'll know what to look for.

A little help with the page, since it shows different models:

'BMW R1200GS MS steun model tot 2008' means R1200GS until 2008
'BMW R1200GS MS steun model vanaf 2008' R1200GS from 2008
'BMW R1200GS BP steun model vanaf 2008' I guess BP is a sort of support. Anyway, it's a mount for 2 models: Garmin Zumo and Streetpilot / TomTom Rider
The last one is for the GS-Adventure

The cradle screws into bolts that replace the normal handlebar mount bolts. The replacements are threaded. Good spot for the GPS since the weight is low and centered on the bars (no pendulum effect.) Only downside is you do have to glance down a bit to view it (depending on how tall you are.) Also a good spot since it helps eliminate sun glare.

There are MANY GS riders using exactly that setup. This was the "right one" for the R1200GS from introduction until around when yours was made. The Navigator IV (Garmin Zumo relabled with a cradle with buttons) has a disadvantage in not being easy to plug an audio cable into when it's in the BMW cradle. Not a problem with the Nav-III.

Im beginning to think I should have spent more and got the correct unit. You might see this in the classifieds soon.

I have one of those GPS III's. I have a Nuvi 760, and old one and like it much better; it has a MUCH more readable screen, more user friendly, etc.
Sorry you are having problems.

Your Nav III has a bracket that mounts to the K1200S dash. The only thing you need is a ram mount, Migsel mount or some other mount to put it on.

It's a good unit. I bought the same unit a short time ago (with the K1200S setup) for my RT. I use the BMR shelf mount.

RAM has nearly every mount for every GPS and every motorcycle. Just navigate to the wizard http://www.ram-mount.com/products/motorcycles.htm#/wizard

- plug in GPS,
- then Garmin as the make,
- then BMW Navigator III,
- then your make and model of motorcycle.

I don't think you'll accomplish much by changing GPS models. The one you have will fit your bike just as well as any other. You just need the correct mount.

After I made the original post I took a harded look at it and and mounted it on the GS with a Ram mount I already had. I made a trip to town and it worked great. Later that day I found out about the Garmin Montana 650T on ADVRider. Long story short I sold the Navigator so I can get the Montana.

Back