• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pick your feet up!

You must have heard me last weekend during my MSF class. For some reason, this was a big issue this week.

Then there were those who wanted to use <only> the Fred Flintstone brakes to stop. Sheesh! It was a tough class!

Equally important is to be on the BALLS of your feet, not hooked at the heel. The exception being the cruiser frame, where the handling is so bad it really doesn't matter where your foot is!

I've commented on this when observing bikes in the area SO many times that now my wife (a non-rider) spots these people frequently and says something akin to..."there's another painful lesson coming..."

Not to be TOO judgemental, but the day I can't get my feet up on the pegs immediately from a stop is the day just before I quit riding. LOL

:dance

I make similar comments to my MSF students. The bike, any bike, is easier to balance and control when your feet are on the pegs. Many riders think dangling their legs out there will help them, but the weight of your legs off the center of the bike actually disrupt balance more than sustain it. But also, I bet many riders that dangle their feet are also looking down just in front of the bike, which also hinders balance and control.

Dragging your feet is also a balance deterent, and is a good way to ruin your boots and possibly deflect a foot underneath the bike.

Look out well ahead, get your feet on the pegs, develop good throttle/clutch control and you should be able to ride at a walking pace.

A metropolitan motorcycle police department here puts on several motorcycle riding classes every year.. They are good classes and those moto-cops sure can ride those beast.

The last time i went, the foot on the pegs was a big deal... they kept repeating it over and over... also telling people not to break with there legs... and sure enough on one of the courses, the guy right in front of me on his Goldwing, while going through the cones, tries to put his leg out to stop the bike and broke it!... shut every thing down until they carted him to the hospital... eye opener...

Pete in OKC,OK

My favorite is the cruiser goof at walking speeds in a plaza parking lot with his feet stuck out forward on those stupid "highway pegs". I half hope that he stabs the front brake to maybe learn a lesson.

Not to be TOO judgemental, but the day I can't get my feet up on the pegs immediately from a stop is the day just before I quit riding. LOL

:dance

Well, if you have a Russell seat, there is a minor delay in getting the feet up on the pegs. First the bike begins to move, then the a** slides back a couple of inches, then the feet come onto the pegs. I might call it the "Russell A**-Shift." A little arthritis in the hip joints slows it even a little more. :laugh

Well, if you have a Russell seat, there is a minor delay in getting the feet up on the pegs. First the bike begins to move, then the a** slides back a couple of inches, then the feet come onto the pegs. I might call it the "Russell A**-Shift." A little arthritis in the hip joints slows it even a little more. :laugh

Perhaps that's why I have a Rick Mayer seat on my R11S! But I hear what you're sayin'!!! :dance

Way out of control.

followed a chopper guy a couple months back.He rode two blocks with both feet skimming along the road.I was 390 miles into a 400 mile ride and not happy having to follow this goofy riding style.Ed

That is the new MOTO GP corner entry style. They kick the inside leg way out to help weight transfer & initiate the turn, then pull it back onto the peg.

8 times world champion might just know what he is doing. The guy about to win his second does the same thing. Then again they do crash a lot so unless they go balls of feet on pegs we may never know. What do those back markers do?

That is the new MOTO GP corner entry style. They kick the inside leg way out to help weight transfer & initiate the turn, then pull it back onto the peg.

Actually none of them can tell you why they do it or what it does other than "Rossi does it so I do too."

Rossi can't even tell you.

When you can ride like Rossi you get a pass, until then pick your feet up!

Actually none of them can tell you why they do it or what it does other than "Rossi does it so I do too."

Rossi can't even tell you.

When you can ride like Rossi you get a pass, until then pick your feet up!

Actually, I think Rossi doesn't want to tell US why he does it. Weight transfer seems likely. But you're right. Until I ride like Rossi, my feet stay on the pegs (except for dirt riding).

Look out well ahead, get your feet on the pegs, develop good throttle/clutch control and you should be able to ride at a walking pace.

I tried getting that through to several students last week who wanted to "push off" rather than use throttle/clutch. They were convinced that this was the only way to get moving because their brother/boyfriend/husband/neighbor told them to do it this way. My response was to have that brother/boyfriend/husband/neighbor take the course and then we can talk about the best way to ride off.

My last class of the season is this week. Hope it's a great one.

Back