• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Oil selection help - 2011 F800GS

The ownerÔÇÖs manual specifies ÔÇ£Castrol GPS 10W-40, API SG/JASO MAÔÇØ this oil is not made/sold in the US any longer. What would you recommend to use in the 2011 F800GS? Is synthetic oil ok with the wet clutch?

The ownerÔÇÖs manual specifies ÔÇ£Castrol GPS 10W-40, API SG/JASO MAÔÇØ this oil is not made/sold in the US any longer. What would you recommend to use in the 2011 F800GS? Is synthetic oil ok with the wet clutch?
Hi, welcome to the forum. On my F800gs I have just been using the BMW branded oil.
I'm going to move your post over to the F-Twins section of the forum for some more responses to your question. If you need any help-just ask. Gary

any motorcycle specific oil, dino or synth, that meets the API service specs is good.
i specifically asked my dealer (head tech wrench) about using 20W50 instead of 10W40 for the extra heat protection, and was told "absolutely fine!".
i will put 10W40 into it for the fall winter, then back to 20W50 when things heat up again.
fwiw- i've been using Castrol ACT-Evo semi-synth, 10W40 or 20W50, for several years now, and have had no issues or concerns with it whatsoever, either in my boxer or my F8GS.

i am about to switch to all synthetic oil for my 2011 F650GS and my choice is Amsoil. i have run Amsoil in just about every bike i have every owned without any problem.

I sent Castrol an e-mail and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Castrol,
Recommended and best suited for your BMW F650GS / F800GS (twin) is Castrol Act>Evo Xtra . The recommended interval change for the first change is 500 miles. When you do the 1st oil change make sure the engine is warm and best would be after a ride. Wait 20 minutes after turning the engine off and drain. Re-fill with the Act>Evo Xtra and you are good for 3,000 or more miles minimum.

Castrol Consumer Relations

I have not had any problem finding the Evo Xtra and have been using that without issue. It is a synthetic blend FWIW.

Back