• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000RR Electrical Issue . . .

CTellman

Has anyone experienced problems with their hi/lo beam switch? I think mine quit working. Fuse is OK, bought new H-7 bulb but there is no electricity at the plug for the bulb.
I am 3+ hours from dealer so I can't just "pop over" for a computer check.
Any ideas?
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Okay, time to get the Airhead thinking cap back out and I might be the wrong person to help you.... but, if you checked the power at the bulb and it is good, you would have to go backwards. I would check the fuse (not if it okay or not, but if it gets power). BTW, does the bulb come on at all? If you turn the key, does the head light come on? Reason I am thinking it could be the ignition switch that has gone bad. I let some electrician's give you some more info... are all the other lights (horn, turn signal, high/low beam, tail light, brake light) working? More info please... :idea

Electrical Gremlin in S1000RR

I have not checked the power through the fuse. I have looked at the fuse. It is not burned.
Everything works except the hi beam. The hi beam indicator works also.
I will check out the fuse voltage this weekend, BTW the light was on and working until I shut the m/c off. Next start up no hi beam.
The problem is the dealer wants me to bring it to Raleigh. That is 3+ hours one way. I work everyday and unless I wait until Turkey Day or Christmas my next required visit is March 2012 for my scheduled oil change.
Thanks for you interest.
Campbell Tellman II

After checking for poser at the plug, and finding everything is working except the HiBeam (low bean should be on?), try getting a copy of the wiring diagram and trace the plug back.
You may want to consider an ECU diagnostic machine or software if making a dealer run is very hard to manage.

I am sorry I am a bit confused :scratch which is really not that abnormal for me....

but I read through all the post again and still don't fully understand... You say that everything works as normal with the exception that you don't have a high beam. Is that correct? In the original post you said you replaced the H7 bulb and don't have power at the plug, ie bulb would not work? Here is my thinking...

I have had simular electrical gremlins on my airhead and you start chasing all these different leads and it becomes frustrating... it may just be a partically blown headlight relay... I had one of those go out a few months ago and it took me some time to diagnose.... now my airhead headlight relay has diodes in it and only one part was broken, so when I replaced the relay everything was working fine... weird as I replaced the relay about 3 or 4 years ago and did not suspect it. I had power at the bulb, fuse was fine, etc....

I understand about taking time off and going to the dealer...it kills a day....but our weather is getting right.... take a Friday off and make it a riding day, you deserve it!!!

S100rr

I replaced the H-7 expecting it to be bad. Usually when electrics work they keep working. In my airhead experience, headlight issues were bulb related.
I didn't think that there is a relay in this system but I am sure there is, on second thought.
Thanks for the interest.
Campbell Tellman II

Hey, I have another possibility... I live in South Carolina... love to take a day or two off during the week, come to your house and ride your RR to the dealer for you. :dance 3 hours one way to the dealer sounds SWEET to me...:whistle :laugh

Follow up . . . .

I am taking the S1000RR to Raleigh on the 23rd. My friend Bob Normandy will ride his GS and we will head West. Bob is a new Grandfather so this is a good opportunity to start spoiling his grandchild since his son and DIL live in Raleigh.
BTW Jon Ross the service manager said they have to assess the problem via computer and then clear the "code" after repair which is how they get paid. Pretty cool.
Capital BMW has been great and they are a super group of motorcycle enthusiasts.
Campbell Tellman II

Back