• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Color in the Catskills

Here is the list from the local paper. There are also many roads with temp repairs that are open, so take care when riding. Also be careful of limbs and branches hung up in the trees that are still falling and could be in the road around the turn.

The following is a list of roads in Ulster, Greene and Dutchess counties that were closed as of late Saturday afternoon due to damage and flooding caused by Tropical Storm Irene or subsequent rainfalls.

ULSTER COUNTY

DENNING

Watson Hollow Road.

Peekamoose Road.

Oliverea Road, bridge between Route 28 and county line.

ELLENVILLE

Clinton Avenue bridge.

ESOPUS

Route 213, between Dashville and Church Hill Road, and Cowhough Road and Route 32.

River Road, between Boxes 132 and 150 (one lane open).

Route 32, between Route 213 and River Road in Rosendale.

GARDINER

Clove Road, between town line and Route 44/55.

Sparkling Ridge Road, near Box 118.

McKinstry Road, between Brunswick Road and Burnt Meadow Road.

Old Ford Road, just east of Old Ford Circle.

Bevier Road.

HARDENBURGH

Dry Brook Road.

HURLEY

Schoolhouse Lane, between Russell Road and Main Street.

Hurley Mountain Road, between Route 28 and Wynkoop Road.

Route 28A, to Spillway Road.

LLOYD

River Road.

Route 44/55, at South Street.

Ransom Road.

MARBLETOWN

Smith Lane.

Old Clove Road.

NEW PALTZ

Dug Road, from Springtown Road to Klein Kill Drive.

Springtown Road, from Route 299 to Mountain Road and Dug Road to Klein Kill Road.

Huguenot Street, from Main Street to North Front Street.

Plains Road, from Water Street to DaVinci Way.

Route 299 west, between Wallkill River bridge and Libertyville Road.

PLATTEKILL

Route 44/55, from Picnic Woods Road to South Street.

Old Unionville Road, from Box 81 to Box 71.

ROCHESTER

Tow Path Road, between Alligerville Road and St. Josen Road.

Whitfield Road bridge, between Lower Whitfield Road and Airport Road.

Bakertown Road.

ROSENDALE

James Street, between Keator Avenue and Parkcrest Drive.

Route 32, between River Road and Route 213 in Esopus.

SAUGERTIES

Glasco Turnpike, between Phillips Road and Fred Short.

Lighthouse Drive.

Drummond Falls Road.

Manorville Road, at Ralph Vedder Road.

SHANDAKEN

Old Route 28 bridge, between Route 28 and Route 42.

Oliveria Road, at Alpine Inn area.

Alpine Road.

Burnham Hollow.

Eagle Mountain.

Maben Hollow Road.

Lower Birch Creek Road.

Peck Hollow Road bridge, north of Box 144.

McKinley Hollow Road, last mile.

SHAWANGUNK

River Road.

Lippencott Road (access only from Albany Post Road).

ULSTER

Route 213, from BuckÔÇÖs Junkyard to city of Kingston line.

Creek Locks Road, between trailer park and Dewitt Lake Road.

Devils Lake Road, to city of Kingston line.

WAWARSING

Ulster Heights Road, from village of Ellenville line to Marcus Road.

WOODSTOCK

Mink Hollow Road, from bridge to end of road.

DUTCHESS COUNTY

MILAN

Turkey Hill Road (county Route 56). between Odak Farms Road and Milan Hill Road (county Route 54).

Intersection of Milan Hollow Road (county Route 15) and Round Lake Road (county Route 52).

RED HOOK

Barrytown Road, near Route 9G.

GREENE COUNTY

ASHLAND

County Route 10, between North Settlement and Sutton Hollow.

CATSKILL

Route 32, from StoryÔÇÖs Corners to Saugerties.

Cauterskill Road, near bridge over creek.

HUNTER

Route 23A, west to Pratsville (open to local traffic only).

LEXINGTON

Route 42, between Route 23A and Shandaken line.

County Route 6, at Spruceton.

County Route 2, from Mosquito Point Bridge to Falke Road.

PRATTSVILLE

Route 23, from Route 23A to Schoharie bridge (open to local traffic only).

Most of the roads are now open. Windham and Prattsville should open soon. Rt 42 might be closed longer. Rt 23a has one lane for about 600'. Expect to see some dirt sections in places.

The foliage should be out around Oct 10th +- a week. By then everything should be back to normal.

Very few people up here at the moment. Most people are staying away.

Cic 4

COLORS IN THE CATSKILLS 4
30 SEP - 2 OCT, 2011

The rivers have subsided, the major roads have been reopened for the most
part, Hunter Mountain has been up and running successfully with a couple of
other festivals since Hurricane Irene, we are ready to go with CIC 4. The
only thing I am not sure about is will YOU be joining us again this year?

We have plenty of space and would love to see you there. With the
cancellation of the Killington Classic as a result of the storm damages, we
are expecting a larger crowd that usual to come out for a big "fall finale
weekend" of riding, entertainment and camping. There will also be a number
of vendors attending the event for you to pick up those items you have been
meaning to buy all season. MAX BMW will also be back with their off road
schools and the BMW Demo Truck on Saturday and Sunday. We are inviting all
brands of motorcycles. Please bring your friends. Feel free to cross post
this announcement to any other motorcycle groups you think might enjoy this
event.

Best of all, IT IS STILL A FREE EVENT !!

If you have any questions about the event, please feel free to drop me an e
mail or give my cell phone a call.

I hope to see you there!

Michael Friedle
Colors in the Catskills 4
914-489-4174 cell
mfriedle@verizon.net
www.HunterMtn.com

Restrooms are indoors, large, well lit, tiled walls and floors and open 24 hours. They located in the Learning Center building adjacent to the camping area.

There are no showers on site, it's a ski area. Bring "wet wipes" or find a friend who has booked a room.

Camping can be reserved on line at www.HunterMtn.com or when you arrive on site. There is no shortage of camping space. The cost is $15 per night which is less than the nearest other open choice located about 15 minutes away, the NY State North/South campground, at about $22 per night with an online $9 reservation fee.

Hope that helps.

Friedle

BTW, some people were planning on camping at another NY State campground in the area, Devil's Tombstone. That area is closed for the season after suffering some damage from the Hurricane Irene. FYI, Devil's Tombstone area does not have any shower facilities either.

Friedle

Colors in the Catskills 4

OK, here is a list of vendors we are expecting to show up as of today. There may be other last minute additions.

The weather outlook as of today is excellent, if maybe a bit chillier than recent temps.

Hi Viz Store: hi viz shirts, jackets, gloves and apparrel

Shango Rider: Gerbings Heated Clothing, Starcom Communications, Powerlet
products

D'Errico's: Motorcycle goggles, sunglasses, ladies apparrel

GSessories: Motorcycle accessories for BMW and Ducati

Jimapco: the best maps EVER! local, area and state

AMA: no, not your local doctor

NYSMSP: N Y State Motorcycle Safety Program

Nick Plenzick: Roadgear clothing, heated clothing, lots of really neat
motorcycle accessories and very useful things you never even knew you needed

MicaTech: very high quality motorcycle hard luggage

Twisted Throttle: excellent line of things to make your bike handle better,
look better and go faster

Mole Mole: Excellent fast Mexican food because there is more to riding than
just looking good

EPM Performance Imports: Comprehensive fork and shock services for alll bike
brands, YSS shocks, Hyperpro, Run-N-Lites

And the event is still FREE! NO RALLY FEE TO ATTEND!

Friedle

Colors in the Catskills 4 off road activity

Hey Ian ( and you others who like to get dirty),

Here is something that might entice you to come join us this weekend, in addition to the free off road schools offered by TEAM MAX with personnel from the BMW Performance Center in SC, we will also be offering a chance to go riding with local Catskill off road legend, Nick the Barber! Not necessarily for the faint of heart.

:dance

Off Road Riding Opportunity at CIC 4 !

Local legend "Nick the Barber" will be leading a group ride Friday evening at 5 pm, Saturday at 3 pm and Sunday at 12 noon for those wanting something a little more challenging than RT 23A !

This ride will be for Dual Sporters with knobbies and advanced riding skills. All bikes should be street legal, (or at least with good paperwork). All rides will be starting from the barbershop a couple of blocks west of the main entrance to Hunter on RT 23A, 7933 Main Street, Hunter, NY! Have fun with Nick!!

And this is also FREE!

Road

Planning on coming from the central NY (S of Syracuse) area, eventually taking 23 to 23A to Hunter. The road closure info states sections of that route are local traffic only. Any other suggestions to get there? Since I will be traveling there and returning home the same day I didn't want to spend too much time looking for alternate routes so I thought I would ask here. If I can get there via 23A it would be a moot point. Thanks

I live close by to Hunter, so I was there and home again a few times. Sunday I took the guided ride to the summit. I had a little mishap with a tree root adjacent to a mudhole, you can see the result here...

i-cptXKtb-L.jpg

I had another mishap a little further on, that resulted in a broken clutch lever, I did not make it to the summit. I coasted down the mountain to the base lodge in shame (well not really).

Max had one of his team remove a clutch lever from a demo bike, rendering it inoperable, and installed it on mine so I could ride home. Most impressive! Max and Ben are a class act, and I am happy to have them as "my" dealer.

It is always a pleasure to see Michael Friedle and have the opportunity to spend some time with him.

Each year, the weather seems to be an obstacle to this event really shining, but I hope to see it continue to be successful.

Each year, the weather seems to be an obstacle to this event really shining, but I hope to see it continue to be successful.

I see shadows - you must've had some sun. I really enjoyed it the one year I made it and hope I can make it next year.

Weather was perfect, today.
Reid. Wow. Looks like you had some ride! Sorry I missed you; Mitch and I showed up yesterday morning in the fog and rain. Opted to ride over to Andes for some Cha Cha Hut BBQ. Didn't make it back to Hunter today, but had a blast tooling around the Ashokan res and route 6a down to New Paltz. Hope to see you back up there this fall! :thumb

Colors in the Catskills 4 review

Once again, Mother Nature laughed at our, mere mortals, feeble efforts to plan outdoor activities according to our wishes. Of course Mother Nature had been giving us fair warning all spring and summer long with one of the wettest periods on record for the Northeast including Hurricane Irene that did more damage in the mountains of NY and VT than it did anywhere along the ocean coastlines!

I arrived on site Thursday morning just before it started raining. Thursday night it cleared and there were stars in the sky as I went to bed. Yes! Friday morning I awoke to the sound of rain, wondering where the other side of the valley had gone as I could no longer see it. It rained on and off for Friday and some intrepid riders did brave the elements. A fair number even set up their tents iin the camping area and settled in for the duration. Vendors set up and conducted business, albeit slow business, as the rain and riders came and went. Saturday started with rain in the morning, heavier than yesterday, varying in intensity throughout the day, but never really going away.

This did not halt the efforts of Ben and Max Stratton and their crew from the three MAX BMW shops from offering a full range of demo rides, with rides of about 40 minutes leaving on the hour from 9 am until 3 pm usually with 10 bikes and a lead and sweep rider to make sure everybody got there and back safely. For the adventureous there were off road rides of different skill levels offered at least three times during the day. These rides lasted approximately 90 minutes, some were longer! :dance

Local Catskill Mountains legend "Nick the Barber" also offered a truely challenging off road excursion all three days. Don't even mistake these rides for a training session. You had better bring your A game skills and a suitable machine to these big boy rides!

The sun did come out Sunday after 9 am and the bikes did start coming in. I noticed that the vast majority of bikes to arrive on Friday and Saturday were BMW motorcycles. This was not the case on Sunday as the lot was filled with more non BMW marques that BMW motorcycles all day long. The last MAX BMW demo ride to leave pulled out at 3 pm ( the first had left at 9 am), just as full as all the other demo rides had been on Saturday and Sunday on the full range of models BMW has to offer, not just the new 1600 GTL and GT models that would have been on the demo truck.

Yes, there were fewer vendors this year than last that actually showed up on site, but more had signed up for this year than last year. No doubt the weather played a large part in the reduced crowds and vendor count, but even those vendors who backed out have said they would like to be invited back for next year. And they will be, along with others. The vendors who did attend all had a good day, at least on Sunday, and thanked the riders who did come out in spite of the rain on Friday and Saturday. Most of the roads were in passable shape and the local waterfalls and streams were spectacular!

Not to be forgotten are the off road and dual sport rides led by TEAM MAX featuring some very talented leaders and brave participants. All made it back to base safely, although some came back wetter and muddier than others. No one came back cursing and all learned some real world off road riding lessons.

Hope to see you all next year. Plans are already underway for the 5th edition of Colors in the Catskills to make the event bigger and better than ever. Prayers and offerings will be made to the Weather Channel and Mother Nature between now and next October on a regular basis. :whistle

Thank you to the management and staff of Hunter Mountain, our fine vendors and the citizens of Greene County, NY who were so open and kind to us despite their own trials and hardships. A huge thank you to all who rode in under trying weather and road conditions to join us for any portion of the wekend. I greatly appreciate those of you who took the time to personally thank myself and Josh, the vendors and MAX BMW. It meant a great deal to us. A big "Thank You" goes out to Backroads magazine riders and publishers Brian Rathjen and Shira Kamil for their continued support since the inception of this event.

Find the Colors in the Catskills on Facebook to see what you missed. (Thanks Kyle and Caley.)

See you on the road.

Friedle

Back