• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650GS vs G650GS

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
Dear BMW MOAers,

In particular for those of you who have experienced both, I'm interested in understanding the differences between the G and F 650 models that BMW offers as their entry level bikes. I'm not interested so much for myself as I might be for my daughter in a year or two.

I know the G is a single-cylinder and the F is a twin so no need to point that out -- I am more interested in the characteristics and real world performance of the two machines as well as their on-/off-road performance. Also, are the frames essentially the same between the two bikes? Thanks.

Kent

My wife owns both. They are very similar in how they feel when riding. Both are responsive and easy to maneuver. The twin is more powerful, quicker and smoother; especially on the highway at 60 MPH and above. The thumper seems a more capable dirt road bike in part due to the smoother throttle control it offers. The twin is easier to maintain, at least when it comes to a simple oil and filter change. The thumper oil change begins with removing the front turn signals..... If you are looking for used, then you will find many thumpers available and an immense amount of online info about the bike. Checkout the Chain-Gang at F650.com. The twin is relatively new to Annie (she has ridden from AK to MT on it) so I am less knowledgable about the level of info out on the web. Both are available in lowered form. It is very important for a new rider to be able to flat foot the bike with ease.

I think the thumper is an easier bike to learn on and a great all around bike that many experienced riders prefer. It is also the better off-asphalt bike. The twin is a more capable long distance bike that is less tiresome to ride for long periods.

From what I know AKBEEMER makes good points...

He referenced F650GS.com for the single cyclinders...

The equvilent for the twin is F800riders.org an official BMWMOA group like the chain gang.

Personally I'm heading to the national F800 riders rally in Grand Junction, Colorado this Wednesday(rally is Friday-Saturday)!

I can't wait to get on the road... !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure many of you know the feeling...

Pedro in OKC, OK

i had a 2007 F650GS single and now own a 2011 F650GS twin. the twin is smoother and more powerful but the single gets better gas mileage. don't quote me on this but i believe they both hold the same amount of gas so the single will go farther on that tank then the twin. the low fuel light on my single would come on between 180-220 miles, on the twin it comes on around 160-180 miles. although both bikes will go 200 miles on a tank the single has a longer range then the twin. i know i would feel much more comfortable trying to stretch 250 miles out of the tank of the single as opposed to the twin.

one of the main differences is the after market windshield options for the twin. there are very limited options for the single, i have tried quite a few and none of them do a very good job of eliminating turbulence and wind noise. some may make it bearable but they all pale in comparison to what is available for the new F650GS twin. i am currently using an Aeroflow touring windscreen on my 2011 and it is a joy to not have to wear ear plugs because of the wind noise. now, i'm not recommending you ride all day every day without ear protection but for that short ride to the store, or in my case my five mile commute to work, i don't need to put ear plugs in. even at highway speeds of up to approx. 70 mph there is very little wind noise.

one of the most common problems on the single is the water pump. at some point it will fail, whether that is 10,000 miles or 50,000 miles i don't know, but make no mistake about it, it will fail. i can't comment on the water pump for the twin as i have not had mine long enough to need replacement.

the twin shifts much smoother then the single and it is easier to find neutral on the twin. adjusting the clutch on the single makes finding neutral easier and i never had a problem with it but i have read on various forums that some people have trouble finding neutral on the single.

overall both bikes are great all around rides but i believe the single would be better suited for a new rider. my daughter just asked me the other day if she got her motorcycle license could she ride my twin. i told her she would be better off getting a single cyl F650 and then at some point move up to the twin.

hope this helps and if you have any particular questions you would like me to answer by all means ask and i will do my best to answer them for you.

I appreciate the feedback -- it's very helpful and I see some consisency from the riders on pro's and con's of the single and twin. I guess I might be inclined to purchase the Thumper for her unless I find a better deal on the Twin. Either way it would likely be her first bike and she'd hopefully have it for a while. But first I have to see what mom has to say. Thanks all!

Kent

Back