• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shop Did a Bad Thing

S

SDGS Scott

Well, I guess I would call it more of a used BMW re-seller. But the guy istalled a new battery in my 2001 F650 Dakar before I purchased it and did hook up the proper drain line that was supplied by BMW. He instead used the supplied line and just stuck it down the left side of the bike. Yes that's right, he found a hole and now I have acid burns on my starter, water pump clutch cable, engine covers, and even frame and the rear wheel has etching! I am so pissed I want to take the "new" battery and return it to the seller.

So as you understand, I will be replacing the battery with a sealed type. Any recommendations? And hints on how to remove the etching? I did neutralized the acid and did a good cleaning.

Scott

Etched is etched. The finish/metal has been chemically altered. The only way repair it is to replace or if possible sand it down to smooth it up and then restore the original finish. You need to be sure that you have completely neutralized the acid with baking soda mixed with water. Get a non-metallic brush and scrub and flood the areas with the baking soda mix until the baking soda no longer foam or bubbles. If you don't get it all neutralized it will continue to corrode wherever it is hiding.

Back